14 March 2006

Review: The BODIES Exhibition

A group of us hit the BODIES exhibition at the Civic Center Saturday night.

Now, you know I’m not one for guts and gore; the first time I watched “The Evil Dead,” it was in the morning, with breaks every 20 minutes so I could catch my breath (and sanity). My group included Nurse Karen, who isn’t squeamish about the body, so I needed to act cool. I bravely walked through the front doors, fortified by my vice of choice (three margarita swirls from Casa Grande). Who would have guessed that I didn’t need my fix?

BODIES is one of the most interesting, fascinating, educational exhibits I’ve ever seen. On display are actual cadavers, preserved using a special polymer process. There are bodies dissected so that you can see how the muscles work while running or playing basketball. There’s a skeleton holding hands with his musculature self, showing you how the two are related. The section showing the blood vessels and arteries looked like an art exhibit. There’s a display comparing a healthy lung to a smoker’s lung (toss those Camels, folks), and cancerous organs to healthy ones. There’s a room showing fetal development that I found amazing (but it could disturb some).

BODIES isn’t gross; it’s engrossing. I highly recommend this exhibit.

* * * * * *

Labels:

11 Comments:

At 3/14/2006 02:44:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I still say it's oogy.

 
At 3/14/2006 05:11:00 PM, Blogger Cup said...

You're just scared of organs, wussboy.

 
At 3/14/2006 06:06:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Is that another reference to Logo?

 
At 3/14/2006 08:29:00 PM, Blogger Jeremy said...

I totally forgot about Bodies. You just planned a night out for me and the missus. Danke!

What up Paul?!!!??!?

 
At 3/14/2006 08:33:00 PM, Blogger Cup said...

GO! You two will love it. I forgot to mention that, at the end of the exhibit, you can hold a liver or kidney.

 
At 3/14/2006 08:39:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey J-man!

How's every little thing?

 
At 3/15/2006 10:13:00 PM, Blogger Cup said...

All we need are Kevins Bruner and Brooks, and we can bring Bookstar back to life!

 
At 3/15/2006 11:13:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I know where you can find Brooks...

What about Bradley Brown?

 
At 3/16/2006 01:35:00 PM, Blogger Cup said...

Brad disappeared into the fast-pased world of bowling alley management. Even his e-mail address is dead. I haven't heard from him in a couple of years.

 
At 3/16/2006 08:15:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'd like to think he boarded a UFO and left behind this sad blue marble.

 
At 3/16/2006 11:21:00 PM, Blogger Cup said...

... just waiting for the explosion so that he can told-you-so us.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home


View My Stats