20 June 2006

Cup of Coffey Hits the Cs!

Today is my 100th day of blogging — and this is my 100th post! (Hold your applause until the end, please.) It has been an interesting adventure for my OCD, online-addicted soul.

The Facts

  • 7,900+ hits across six continents. I seem to be most popular on the coasts, including the coast of southern England (Simeon?). Picking up steam, though, in the Midwest and, interestingly, Malaysia.
  • More than 400 of you have viewed my profile (and a couple of you have had some interesting comments about my photo).
  • Surprisingly, there have been few R.E.M.-centric posts, and just 25 mentions of my boys. But don't fret; look for my paean to Peter Buck later this summer. (Sorry about the Keef obsession in early May, dear readers, but I was worried. Still am.)
  • Last week's Beck post was linked on Stereogum.com (thanks for letting me know, Robert)! I'm one step closer to realizing my dream of becoming a pompous music writer.

The Not-so-obvious Facts

I started A Cup of Coffey as a writing exercise. I’m a copywriter in the corporate world, but my fantasy is to move to the literary side of the written page. Since I began on March 13, my creative juices are flowing again … I’ve begun work on two short stories … and the on-the-job writing is livelier.

I originally thought my blog would be read by Paul and Dan and Jeremy (a.k.a. the Bookstar boys, who reconnected with each other via my comment boxes), and not many others. But many of my friends and family are reading it, and I’ve reconnected with folks who had faded from my life (welcome back, Dayle!). I’ve also met (if “met” can be stretched to include reading their words and exclude knowing what their facial features look like) some (very) interesting people through my blog or theirs. I even inspired my cousin to start her own blog (you go, Marni!); I just wish some more of you would start blogging (Kathy, your stories and the boys’ adventures would make a great read).

It’s been wonderful to have a forum through which I can obsess about bands and tunes, and not drive Dan crazy with the spouting of musical minutiae. I’ve even been introduced to new artists, thanks to other bloggers (Scrivener, I think you’ve introduced me to the most, so you're like a superhero in my world).

My bookshelves are expanding, too, thanks to your recommendations. (Garner's Modern American Usage came today, Professor Bastard, so I’ll let you know what I think next week.)

The most entertaining result of my first 100 days is my friends’ newfound fame. Now, when I say “my friends in Connecticut,” folks reply, “you mean Renae and Greg.” Who knows? In another year, they could have their own reality show on MTV: "Grown-ups on the Oasis Trail."

Anyway … it’s been a helluva lot of fun. Hope you’ve enjoyed reading A Cup of Coffey as much as I’ve enjoyed writing it. And look for me in your comment boxes.

UPDATE: My blog evolved from my long-running e-mail conversation with Paul, which has been going strong since 1997. I neglected to give him props for his encouragement. He bugged me for two years to start blogging, and never complained when I didn't participate last year in our I Hate Leno blog. He walked me through (well, e-mailed me through, to be exact) the early stage — so, thanks, Paulie!

* * * * * *

Labels: , ,

15 Comments:

At 6/21/2006 08:46:00 AM, Blogger jo(e) said...

Congratulations on hitting 100!

 
At 6/21/2006 12:16:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

i read your blog everyday. got a bit of a crush on you and your photo.

 
At 6/21/2006 12:28:00 PM, Blogger Jeremy said...

That's some good horn tootin'! Congrats!

 
At 6/21/2006 12:35:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for the plug and I'm thrilled that you're writing some short stories. The world has been denied your unique perspective long enough. --Keep on keepin' on.

 
At 6/21/2006 12:42:00 PM, Blogger Marni said...

I only hope that one day my prose will be as witty and charming as yours... love ya, cuz...

 
At 6/21/2006 01:12:00 PM, Blogger Cup said...

JO(E): Thanks! I've set the bar high; I aspire to have a blog as good as yours one day.

SHY BOY (or GIRL): Now, that's just not fair; you can't drop the crush bomb without a hint!

JEREMY: You know how I love a good horn tootin'. And I hope you know Str8jacket helped get me here.

PAULIE: You're first on the list to read the short stories, once I get them done. It will be something to do when Romulus and Remus get you up at 2 a.m.

MARNI: You're a Coffey. You'll surpass me by the time you reach my age.

 
At 6/21/2006 03:55:00 PM, Blogger Scrivener said...

Congratulations on getting to the 100s! I've enjoyed getting to know you through the blogs too. "Meeting" you has been the best part of the Minus 5 concert.

 
At 6/21/2006 07:38:00 PM, Blogger barista brat said...

hi beth!

i too am now daily addicted to your blog. congrats on your milestone. i really enjoyed this post, having not before known the origins of 'cup-of-coffey'.

i especially thought it cool that you are a writer. i am currently looking for an agent for my two young adult novels. blogging was really just a way to let off steam, you know: a way to pass the time in between rejection letters.

i would love (and be honored) to be a crit partner for you if you ever desire one.

best of luck in everything and keep the music posts coming!

 
At 6/21/2006 08:00:00 PM, Blogger a said...

I always knew it would happen one day. You are now more of a computer literate person than I am. Your stats and all the comments from the world over prove it -- not to mention your great writing style and the love shown through your loyal followers (or, the Coffey Cult).

I'm glad this has such a positive influence on your current and possibly future writing. I have always believed that once you started writing something - anything - it would be the spark to ignite the true writer sleeping inside ya! Congrats girlie!

 
At 6/21/2006 10:20:00 PM, Blogger Dale said...

I've really enjoyed your writing and your musical recommendations Beth. Congrats and keep up the most excellent blogging.

 
At 6/22/2006 12:33:00 AM, Blogger Cup said...

SCRIVENER: One of these days, we're going to find ourselves dancing next to each other at some concert ...

CUZ JAMEY: Glad you're starting your day with ramblings. You should start your own; I can just imagine your stories.

BARISTA BRAT: Thanks so much! You know I love your blog. I'd enjoy being your crit partner (if I ever finish a story). A friend of mine (check the Books navigation bar for Walter Sorrells) has recently published some young adult novels; check his site to see if he has tips. And are you missing Effusion as much as I am?

DAN: Ah, schwaaaaaah; thanks, DL. You've always had great faith in me.

DALE: Ditto. Very excited about that mix tape ...

 
At 6/22/2006 12:34:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can honestly say I'm really looking forward to reading those stories. Polish 'em up and send 'em on!

 
At 6/23/2006 01:37:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Before "cup of coffey" I was a blog virgin....wow....maybe some day I will pick up some of the wit and cleverness of all your great participants

 
At 6/26/2006 12:05:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh my gosh I feel like I won an award or something groovy. . .my name and blog were mentioned on Cup of Coffey! Neat-o!

 
At 6/26/2006 07:26:00 AM, Blogger Cup said...

PAUL: You're at the top of the list to read them. Now, if I can only find time to finish them ...

HOLLY: And, see, I've always enjoyed your wit and cleverness.

DAYLE: You deserve the, um, "honor."

 

Post a Comment

<< Home


View My Stats