08 November 2006

The Charming Rudolph

A recent “Iconoclasts” with Mikhail Baryshnikov and Alice Waters, coupled with Ziggy’s recent post about seeing Michael Clark dance, reminded me of a funny dance moment.

”Iconoclasts” is an interesting show, and the episode with Baryshnikov and Waters is especially wonderful. Check your local listings or IconoclastsTV.com to catch a future viewing. Did you see the one with Michael Stipe and Mario Batoli? Also entertaining; I’ve seen it about five times, natch.

I saw Rudolph Nureyev dance “Don Quixote” at our fabulous (we Atlantans are required to use that superlative with every mention) Fox Theater in 1982.

My beau scored great seats: fifth row center. You could see Nureyev’s beautifully sculpted face, every working muscle,his charm emanating from each movement. I was enchanted.

About halfway through the first act, Nureyev sprouted a tiny hole on the crotch of his leotard. Yes, right there, front and center. As the act went on and he leapt and spun and danced, the hole grew larger and larger. It was noticeable to maybe the first ten rows, and there were some giggles. (I wasn’t one of them … although I couldn’t stop watching the hole as it grew. Do you damn blame me?)

At the end of the act, Nureyev glided to the front of the stage, looked at those of us who could see the hole, shrugged and winked with a cocky grin, then strutted his way off stage.

Damn, he was as cool as he was lovely.

Labels: , ,

16 Comments:

At 11/08/2006 12:12:00 AM, Blogger haahnster said...

Sorry, I don't know sh*t about dance. However, I just noticed your mention of Eye by Robyn Hitchcock. I haven't dug that album out in years. Great...now I have to wait until I get home this weekend.

Later. :-)

 
At 11/08/2006 02:02:00 AM, Blogger tube watcher said...

he was truly a great dancer. that was a fun story!

 
At 11/08/2006 05:14:00 AM, Blogger Cup said...

HAAHNSTER: Send me your list of faves from Eye, and I'll start feeding you MP3s. How's my neighboring state?

TUBE WATCHER: He was brilliant. Love your blog, BTW.

 
At 11/08/2006 05:59:00 AM, Blogger lee said...

you are a lucky lady! :) ;).

 
At 11/08/2006 11:37:00 AM, Blogger mellowlee said...

I've always been facinated by him. That was a GREAT story Beth :)

 
At 11/08/2006 11:41:00 AM, Blogger Cup said...

LEE: That I am. I got to see him dance just once, but what a wonderful night it was -- even without the hole sprouting on his leotard.

MELLOWLEE: He was amazing. I need to get my butt out there and see more dance; I love it.

 
At 11/08/2006 03:36:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was going to say that I enjoyed his guest spot on Sex in the City, and then I realized that I'm a dumbass. That was Baryshnikov.

 
At 11/08/2006 03:39:00 PM, Blogger Cup said...

Baryshnikov was sublime as the Russian lover. I've seen him dance at the Fox many times. Definitely worth the price of the ticket.

 
At 11/08/2006 04:01:00 PM, Blogger mellowlee said...

When I was a little girl, my hero was Karen Kain. I was in ballet for a few years because of her :) I looked up to her partly because she was Canadian, but mostly because she was so beautiful, talented, and she danced with Nureyev :)

 
At 11/08/2006 04:15:00 PM, Blogger Cup said...

She was beautiful, wasn't she, Mellowlee? I wish I had taken more ballet, but I quit after the third week because I was missing "H.R. Pufnstuf." Yes, my priorities have always been in check.

 
At 11/08/2006 04:44:00 PM, Blogger mellowlee said...

teeheee! I quit because it stopped being fun. To me, Karen Kain was a princess, and it looked like fun. My teacher was more than a little scary! XD

 
At 11/08/2006 04:51:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I know there is more to this story...so Beth, who was sitting in front of you?

 
At 11/08/2006 07:40:00 PM, Blogger Dale said...

I think Karen is now heading up the ballet company here and trying to get the brand out there again after a couple of years of more reserved management.

My only real dance exposure apart from a couple of ballets was a french choreographer named Jean Pierre Perrault who did a show years ago called Nuit (Night) that was fascinating. A modern piece where everything was focussed specifically on the feet and boots of the dancers which also provided the music. Oh, and The Overcoat which is coming back to Canadian Stage which I may have to go to again since it was so fascinating.

 
At 11/08/2006 08:04:00 PM, Blogger justacoolcat said...

So let me get this straight, Purple Rain gone Vegas = bad, but Dancing “Don Quixote = Good? ;-)

They seem quite similar to me.

 
At 11/08/2006 09:12:00 PM, Blogger Mother of Invention said...

That is too funny! I can just imagine. I'd be over-focused on it! He had a cool recovery though.

 
At 11/08/2006 11:22:00 PM, Blogger Cup said...

MELLOWLEE: H.R. Pufnstuf wasn't scary.

RENAE: DOH! Off to update ...

DALE: That looks like a wonderful show; keep us posted.

JUSTACOOLCAT: It's a great ballet; Nureyev even filmed a movie version. Not as cheesy at Prince in Vegas ... but I'm beginning to think I should partake of that cheese.

MOTHER OF INVENTION: The coolest. I just wish y'all could see me reenact his shrug; it's hard to get the coolness on the page.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home


View My Stats