15 March 2006

Athens, Part 1: Come Relive My Misspent Youth

Great day in Athens! It's spring break for UGA, so the town had a slow, laidback feel. The baubles hunt was successful. Sadly, though, I didn't hear any great new music while flipping through Wuxtry; the record-store guys were cute and chatty, though, so it wasn’t a wasted trip.

I took some digital pix around town, to give you a peek at my Athens.

Here's a shot of downtown Athens, from North Campus. An adorable Irish lad first developed a crush on me down this street way back in March 1984.



My dorm, Brumby Hall; the red arrow points to my windows.



OM bought me this telephone pole for my 20th birthday, after an unfortunate incident involving our woody station wagon and a road-zipping squirrel. Did you know you have to pay for the pole if you crash into it and snap it in two? If you’re interested in paying homage to the Coffey pole, it’s just half block from Brumby.



My sorority house, home to my short-lived preppy phase. Bring on the Pappagallos and add-a-beads, and let’s shag, baby!



Renae’s Athens home in the mid-1980s. Boy, did I have a lot of good times in that place …



Here’s Five and Ten, around the corner from Renae's old duplex, in the Five Points section of Athens. Five and Ten is one of my favorite restaurants in the world; Karen and I celebrated my birthday in style there last year (just ask the folks at the next table!). If you haven’t been, make plans; it's well worth the drive. I'll take you out-of-towners the next time you visit me.



Today’s bauble haul. I can always find cool jewelry at great prices in Athens. I had just an hour to shop with a strict spending limit … so I'll probably zip back up Highway 78 in the next couple of weeks.



* * * * * *

Labels: , ,

8 Comments:

At 3/15/2006 11:17:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I must say I enjoyed that. --Although I'm haunted by the term "Coffey pole".

 
At 3/15/2006 11:18:00 PM, Blogger Cup said...

"Coffey pole" was writtten just for you, Paulie.

 
At 3/15/2006 11:24:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I must confess to being a little touched.

 
At 3/16/2006 01:20:00 PM, Blogger Cup said...

It's hard not to be touched by the Coffey pole. Next time, I need to post with my standing monument.

 
At 3/16/2006 08:06:00 PM, Blogger Jeremy said...

I think you should cut it down and bring home with you. Be real drunk. and when the cops say, "Hey you! What do you think you're doing?" You can reply, ". . . 's my pole. Now, Fuck off." Do it with an English accent.

 
At 3/16/2006 11:20:00 PM, Blogger Cup said...

That's why we need to hang, Jeremy. You know how to take it to the next level.

 
At 3/17/2006 07:37:00 AM, Blogger Jeremy said...

If only I still did. I think I may have A shot tonite whilst i rule the shuffleboard table. WATCH OUT!

 
At 3/19/2006 05:00:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was in Athens for my first visit ever the same day! Wish I had your info before I went. It was work related and the only thing I got to see other than the inside of the financial aid office was the downtown street you talk about!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home


View My Stats