22 June 2006

… But Not Mine

At the beginning of her glorious cover of “Gloria,” Patti Smith growls “Jesus died for somebody’s sins … but not mine.” That sums up my mood this week, kids. Even a Peter Buck blog search hasn’t helped. Mind if I bitch for a few lines?

I’m playing party planner this month. We have a huge luncheon for our division on Friday — full of theme and tie-ins and messages and the Introduction of Our Charter (feel free to salute) — and I’m in charge. I’m the creative, the project manager. I’m damn good at it. But. I. Hate. It. With a passion. Hate, hate, hate it. Concepting the big idea is fun … but the execution phase blows. It has been a month of interruptions and decisions: white cloth napkins, or black? square plates, or round? this photo, or that one? two-color or three-color logo? roasted potatoes, or garlic mashed potatoes? At least I got to put together the soundtrack for the luncheon; that I enjoyed. The stress of the final days is overwhelming … and I don’t do overwhelmed very well.

But, Cup of Coffey, you might ask, when do you have time to do your actual work? Well, between 3 a.m. and 7 a.m., my friends — which is why you’ve seen posts at all sorts of ungodly hours of the night. So maybe the sleep deprivation is contributing to my grumpy state.

The professional isn’t the only dark cloud this week. The personal is stormy, too. Judgmentals passing their judgments instead of letting me talk. Being told I shouldn’t be swinging on this playground, or merry-go-rounding on that one. Do they really think I'm too much of a ditz to make my own decisions?

And I can’t go to Renae’s opening in Reston on Friday … because I’m hosting a stupid corporate luncheon. Son of a

Off to crank up Patti’s “Gloria” for the eighth time and dance out the frustrations.

BTW, if you’ve never heard Van Morrison and John Lee Hooker’s duet of “Gloria,” contact me. Brilliant. Simply brilliant.

* * * * * *

Labels: , ,

11 Comments:

At 6/22/2006 07:24:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Beth, just hearing about all you have going on makes me exhausted. Try to get some rest this weekend after the big luncheon is over.

 
At 6/22/2006 10:17:00 AM, Blogger haahnster said...

Interesting blog, I'll have to scan the archives. Thanks for the comments on my recent REM posts over at my place.

I recognize the "corporate" in you from your use of "concepting"...a buzzword to be sure. I too am mired in the corporate world, and everything (I mean EVERYTHING) looks better in PowerPoint. The most inane suggestion that wouldn't dare be uttered aloud for fear of shame and humiliation can look like a world-beating revelation in a well-put-together PowerPoint presentation. Personally, I find that phenomenon scary and sad. But, what do I know...

Anyway, keep up the good work. Now, if you'll excuse me, I need to get back to leveraging synergies through a multi-functional task force. Maybe we can focus-group our strawman, gather the feedback and enhance our...(whatever).

Good luck with your short stories, and keep on rockin' in the free world!

 
At 6/22/2006 12:47:00 PM, Blogger Jackson said...

Buck up Cup.....get it....

Maybe I'll do a REM post to cheer you up.

 
At 6/22/2006 05:50:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Can it be you are talking about the Gloria that I LOVE? Did not know who does the song but LOVE the beat and have even learned some of the words....Gloria..da ta da da da da da ta..Gloria...da ta da da da da da ta...is that the one, Beth. Seriously. Do love it. Perks up my mood instantly. It has been around a long time.

 
At 6/22/2006 05:54:00 PM, Blogger Cup said...

RCofCHS: That's the plan, my dear friend: books, movies, booze.

HAAHNSTER: Your R.E.M. posts got me through the night. Looking forward to reading your archives this weekend. Keep the synergy alive, associate!

JACKSON: Any man who posts about Warren Zevon is a real man in my world. Can't wait to see what you have to say about R.E.M. Are you still in town?

PROF B: That's why they call you "The Professor" ... or "The Bastard" ... I can never keep that straight.

JUDITH: No, you're thinking of the Laura Branigan tune (also one of Mama's favorite songs). The one I'm talking about was originally done by Van Morrison, when he was with Them (where they spell out G-L-O-R-I-A).

 
At 6/22/2006 08:41:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hee! There's more R.E.M. posts? ...and you blogsearch on Peter regularly too? :P

I had the strangest dream 'bout him last night/early this morning. He had something like 3 ex-wives and there were a lot of ukeleles involved. Isn't that the only stringed guitar-like instrument he doesn't play?
He had twin sons in my dream(I know it's twin daughters) and they were older. Young men. One had been hurt in Iraq. He was doing some sort of press conference/war protest thing. That's all I can remember. Woke up scratching my head, for sure!

Always get weird dreams if I listen to NPR news while I'm still dozing.

 
At 6/22/2006 08:57:00 PM, Blogger Cup said...

I wonder if we'll cat fight if we end up in the same room as our beloved Peter? Love the dream.

I once worked with a girl who went to high school with Peter Buck. He asked her out, but she turned him down since (at that time) he was just a music geek. She's still kicking herself.

 
At 6/22/2006 09:07:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

No doubt! That she's still kicking herself, not that we'd catfight. I actually have very presentable manners. :)

Think he's in England touring with Robyn at the moment. I'm hoping he'll show up at Scott's August 4th gig at the Mississippi.

 
At 6/22/2006 10:15:00 PM, Blogger Cup said...

So why aren't we in England touring with him and Robyn? I even have a place for us to bunk!

 
At 6/23/2006 06:44:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

We can't be there. Well. I can't (Maybe you can still make it?)

...but we can listen to their set!

Here! http://www.dimeadozen.org/torrents-details.php?id=100912

I actually got this early this morning from a friend who got it even earlier. Haven't had a listen yet (at work).

Holy Rickenbacker, they're quick!
:)

 
At 6/25/2006 02:33:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ohhhh. Brown-eyed Girl Van Morrison. Don't think I know the other Gloria. However, do know the spellout "going to the Y-M-C-A" song if that gives us old folks any credit!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home


View My Stats