24 October 2006

Not My Playlist, But Well Worth Mentioning

I’m working the night away on a big, brainless project, so I’ve turned my TV to the music RetroActive channel — post-punk and new wave, pretty much my favorite genre. The station always plays great songs; I often end up dancing and pogoing all over the living room.

I’m not paying super-close attention to the list since I am working, but here are ten played in the last hour or so:

Replacements: Unsatisfied
B-52’s: Roam
Smiths: How Soon Is Now?
Alarm: Rescue Me
Love and Rockets: Holiday on the Moon
Waitresses: I Know What Boys Like
Church: Fading Away
Trio: Da Da Da I Don’t Love You You Don't Love Me
X: Burning House of Love
Talking Heads: Love for Sale

Now they’re playing The Vapors’ “Turning Japanese.” I worked for a Japanese company when this little ditty came out, and my Japanese bosses always begged me to sing “No sex, no drugs, no wine, no women, no fun, no sin, no you, no wonder it's dark.” That, and they loved my lying on my back to dance, a la Gregory’s Girl. They were great, fun bosses.

* * * * * *

Labels: ,

10 Comments:

At 10/25/2006 03:00:00 PM, Blogger Joe said...

I love that list! Nothing wrong with the Waitresses, especially that track. Trio...whew.

 
At 10/25/2006 03:41:00 PM, Blogger barista brat said...

awww, you just made me want to go out and buy gregory's girl on dvd. i love the lying on their backs dancing scene!

 
At 10/25/2006 06:57:00 PM, Blogger Cup said...

PATRICK: Have to admit that I love that Waitresses' tune ... and their Christmas song. (And yes, I'm staying warm; enjoy the snow.)

BEN: Wouldn't you love to play that guitar part just once?

BUBS: You just reconfirmed your coolness factor.

BRAT: I knew you'd be a Gregory's Girl girl; are you my long-lost little sister?

 
At 10/25/2006 11:39:00 PM, Blogger Dale said...

I'm good with everything on the list. Da da da. I love how insane David Byrne gets at the end of Love for Sale.

 
At 10/26/2006 12:53:00 AM, Blogger lulu said...

Sounds like the soundtrack to my life.

 
At 10/26/2006 06:07:00 AM, Blogger Cup said...

DALE: Insane David Byrne is always the best Byrne.

LULU: You'd love this music channel. I have it on all the time.

BEN: Completely agree with you. Mr. Marr kicks a**, and Morrissey bores me these days.

 
At 10/26/2006 06:45:00 AM, Blogger Writeprocrastinator said...

How could they ruin the high that is "How Soon Is Now?" with "Da, Da, Da?" Ugh, der Deutche shiese.

 
At 10/26/2006 06:48:00 AM, Blogger Cup said...

It was a bit jarring ... but it didn't stop the dance, WP.

 
At 10/26/2006 08:58:00 PM, Blogger lee said...

I just love the church!! It's great to hear of them being played. They can't even get played in their own country :).

 
At 10/29/2006 08:57:00 PM, Blogger Cup said...

Welcome, Lee! I've seen you at the Din of Inequity. I just heard The Church again about 15 minutes ago ...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home


View My Stats