03 June 2006

June Playlist

Those new songs in heavy rotation, in order of obsession:

Sonic Youth: “Incinerate”
OMG, this an amazing song! It's my favorite at the moment. Every time I hear it I want to get up and dance and spin with my arms straight out. Thurston’s voice, the guitar, the melody are fan-damn-tastic. I just got an advance copy of the new album, Rather Ripped, but I haven’t quit listening to “Incinerate” long enough to listen to the rest of the album. This is the song I listen to nine time straight before moving on to the next tune.

Gnarls Barkley: “Crazy”
Who doesn’t love this song? Added plus: They’re Georgia boys.

The Raconteurs: “Steady as She Goes”
Good beat; my pop song for spring 2006. Jack White’s guitar adds to the cool.

The Flaming Lips: “The Yeah Yeah Yeah Song”
I love The Flaming Lips. Like Sonic Youth, they’re folks my age who can still get it done — and still be cool doing it. This new song is pretty catchy. Still kicking myself for missing their free show last month at Centennial Olympic Park.

Gomez: “How We Operate”
One of the new UK bands. I really like the album; this title track is my favorite. Great vocals; cool instruments.

Yeah Yeah Yeahs: “Way Out”
Wish I was a cool rock chick …

Michael Stipe feat. Chris Martin: “In the Sun”
I have yet to tire of this song, or the entire EP, for that matter. Still gets me in the gut. And it’s simply the most beautiful song released this year.

Cat Power: “The Greatest”
Cat has the coolest voice of anyone recording today. The title track to the latest album is haunting yet melodic. Thanks, Greg, for turning me on to Cat Power; did you know she’s an Atlanta girl?

Gnarls Barkley: “Gone Daddy Gone”

Great cover of the Violent Femmes’ tune. I always preferred this to “Blister in the Sun,” and I like what Danger Mouse and Cee-Lo have done with it.

The Minus Five: “Cigs, Coffee, Booze”
Nice alt-country sound from my buddies Mr. Buck and Mr. McCaughey, with a good pedal steel guitar. How can you not love a song with the refrain “All you really need / Cigarettes, coffee, and booze.”

Djay featuring Shug: “It’s Hard out Here for a Pimp”
I just saw Hustle & Flow, so I’m a little late on the “Pimp” bandwagon. Great hook, great beat — and, damn, that woman can sing.

Little Willies: “Roll on”
Norah Jones does country. “Roll on” is this season’s morning song for me, best listened to early Saturday morning while drinking a cup of coffee on my deck. I recommend the entire album.

The Fray: “Over My Head (Cable Car)”
It’s getting a lot of airplay right now, so I might be sick of it in a month, but right now I really like it. It appeals to my lonely, romantic side.


What are you listening to?

Labels:

8 Comments:

At 6/04/2006 07:45:00 AM, Blogger Cup said...

Good list. I really like Goldfrapp, but I keep forgetting to pick up her new album. With your list, you should really check out Sonic Youth's "Incinerate."

 
At 6/04/2006 02:13:00 PM, Blogger Cup said...

I just downloaded "Supernature," so I'll let you know what I think. I love "Felt Mountain" and the few tracks from "Black Cherry" that I have. Interested to hear the new stuff.

"Incinerate" is more accessible than a lot of Sonic Youth. Let me know what you think.

 
At 6/04/2006 07:59:00 PM, Blogger Cup said...

It's funny. I have the "Big Bad Love" soundtrack - I mean, Tom Verlaine with Kronos Quartet? R.L. Burnside covering one of my favorite Dylan songs? - but I've never seen the movie; I always catch it on cable at the halfway point.

I'm partial to Southern writers, so I've read a lot of Larry Brown's work. We should exchange a list of best books one day.

Hope it's getting better for you.

 
At 6/05/2006 02:45:00 AM, Blogger barista brat said...

beth - is the 'gone daddy gone' cover the one with a slightly synth sound? if so i heard it the other night and loved it.

i've been living in the past - my own past and the past i wish i owned. lots of shakespears sister, mary's danish and adam ant (maybe because i'm itching to read his biography when it comes out). oh, and life is always better when singing an atomic kitten song.

 
At 6/05/2006 06:49:00 AM, Blogger Cup said...

Barista Brat, that's the one. It's worth tracking down the Violent Femmes' original.

I always listen to the older stuff, too - especially New Wave and Post-punk. Thank God for the shuffle option.

 
At 6/05/2006 06:24:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I keep changing my mind 'bout what's my favorite song on "The Gun" cd. As of this morning it was "My Life as a Creep" as it came up whilst I was in line at Starbucks drive through.

New Buck & McCaughey post up on the KatBox http://glassmeow.livejournal.com/
...and you promised a Peter post too! (not letting you forget!)

=^,^=

 
At 6/05/2006 11:18:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I found "Incinerate" tonight. AWESOME!

 
At 6/08/2006 09:23:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Since you talked about Norah Jones, here is a little Norah Jones related news. This just broke.. She has finished her next album ( not one of the side projects ) but due to her movie schedules, the album may not be released for a while...

See here: http://www.norahjones.com/board/viewtopic.php?t=2605

 

Post a Comment

<< Home


View My Stats