24 May 2006

Happy birthday, Randy!

Today is the birthday of my dear friend Randy, another auspicious member of the Campbell High School Class of ’77.

Randy and I have been friends since we met in Mr. Diffley’s homeroom at Nash Junior High. He was the coolest boy in the class, and I was shy and in awe of that wild boy — and, I must brag, the only girl in our homeroom who admitted getting the joke in Pussy Galore’s name. I sat behind him in Mrs. Sellers' science class, where we became buddies.

But we actually met years earlier. Randy and I went to kindergarten together at Kiddie Dude Ranch — the coolest-named school on the East Coast. (And somewhere, Randy, I have our group graduation photo; I’ll have it ready for next year’s birthday post. Holly, he looks so cute in his little suit!)

Randy was one of my favorite people in high school. I spent four years in homeroom with him and David (the tall guy in the courtyard photo; we need to find him). Early in our freshman year, Randy cracked a slightly dirty joke (probably his Pledge of Allegiance “stance”) … I blushed … and after that those two spent every homeroom trying to embarrass me. Well, within a couple of months, my sailor mouth was popping back with the filthies — and a deep, lifelong friendship was born. If I were a cruel person, I’d spill the “Baretta” and Fonzie beans … but I’ll take the high road since I'd hate to tarnish his level of cool.

On the senior courtyard (June 1977).
Randy's sitting in the center, with me on his right. The ever-laughing Janice is standing at the other end, with David behind her.

Randy helped me master the Southern art of holding your beer — in his very cool Datsun 240Z, no less — and introduced me to Lou Reed. To this day, whenever I hear “Walk on the Wild Side,” I think of cruising in that cool white sports car, sucking down a can of beer, and laughing with Randy.

He also had the coolest parents around. Parties at his house were always fun, and I always felt comfortable if I just stopped by.

The summer before our senior year, he developed a crush on Holly, who’s been my friend since the fourth grade. I had a very light hand in getting them together (and back together). I was proud to sit with his parents at Holly and Randy’s wedding in 1983. A very small affair, it was one of the most romantic, beautiful weddings I’ve ever attended. They have a great, happy marriage, and they still glow when they're together. I love hanging out with them; it’s so convenient when your friends marry.

Holly and Randy at Renae and Greg's wedding (Feb. 1991)

Randy and I shared classes, test answers, and lots of beer at Georgia State … many a drunken night at The Launching Pad … and numerous dramas throughout my single life. He and Holly now live on a lake, and they're taking life easier these days. Who wouldn't, with a fabulous house on the lake?

When OM died last August, Holly and Randy were among the first friends to come by. Always a smart businessman, he mailed that day’s Wall Street Journal to my mom, so that she’d have the latest stock and financial info on hand once she started working on my dad’s estate. He had lost his dad a few years earlier, and knew what we’d need. It was one of the sweetest things anyone did for us during that rough time.

With his nephew at that fabulous lake house

Randy, we’ll never agree on politics, but I’ll always dearly love you (and your dirty martinis). I look forward to growing old with you and Holly and Renae and Greg.


* * * * * *

Labels:

13 Comments:

At 5/24/2006 07:55:00 AM, Blogger Marni said...

So sweet! Happy birthday, Randy!

I didn't know you went to the Kiddie Dude Ranch! So did I! That is where I broke my collar bone by falling off a rocking boat... that is actually my first memory! Good one, huh? :)

 
At 5/24/2006 10:18:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday Randy! Some how I only think of myself as geting older and forget, there's a whole crew of us!

Janice

 
At 5/24/2006 11:10:00 AM, Blogger Jeremy said...

You can't beat a group of good, long time frineds.

 
At 5/24/2006 11:12:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Beth,
Thanks for all the nice words and pictures from the past. Holly and I owe you alot for helping to keep us together during the early years of dating. You are and continue to be a wonderful friend.
But I refuse to grow older, in fact I am 39 again for the 8th time.

Love you always,
Randy

 
At 5/24/2006 01:14:00 PM, Blogger Cup said...

Now, if only I had that kind of finesse with my own relationships.

You know you're one of my all-time favorite boys (if only we could hook up with David again!). Love and kisses — and glad you're my age again.

 
At 5/24/2006 07:26:00 PM, Blogger a said...

Happy Birthday Randy! I haven't seen y'all in a while, but I'll never forget the great time we had on the lake (remember, I fell off the seadoo? good times...) or the Elvis impersonator! Of course, now I'm really, truly jealous of your fabo house, but mine will be a decent runner-up some day.

Anyway, I'll toast to you, Holly and your birthday tonight with a beer and some BBQ on my fabo porch! Cheers!

 
At 5/24/2006 08:01:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

happy birthday, man! sorry i don't know you. i would have enjoyed lou and beer in that sweet ride too.

 
At 5/25/2006 01:50:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy birthday, dude!

 
At 5/25/2006 08:02:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey RAndy, Happy DAYB!!!

What did you do to celebrate? I sure hope you called your mama to thank her for all her hard work so many years ago.

And hey, you need to celebrate this 47th as this is our last year to officially call ourselves "in our mid-forties" cuz next year we will no longer be in that category. And yes, that is cause for celebration--more time we've had to live and have fun!

Take care dude!!

love, Renae (and Greg too but he's still young--early 40's)

 
At 5/25/2006 10:23:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday Randy! I didn't know you back then, but you're pretty cool now, so I guess you haven't changed much!

Kathy

 
At 5/26/2006 07:34:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy birthday! I think you should invite all of us commenters to a party at your lake house. Dibs on the seadoo!

 
At 5/26/2006 09:42:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy, now belated Birthday Randy! Clarke and I enjoyed meeting you at Beth's BD Party.

Karen

 
At 2/26/2007 09:09:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

whos the stud in the tight pants laying across everyone? And why is the girl on the far left looking at his crotch?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home


View My Stats