26 July 2006

Guilty Pleasures Week: The Fun Movies

It was hard to narrow down this list. Hedwig and the Angry Inch or Harold and Maude? About a Boy or High Fidelity? Ghostbusters or Purple Rain? Edward Scissorhands or Pee-wee’s Big Adventure? Evil Roy Slade or The Big Bus? But those seemed a bit too hip for a guilty pleasures list. So, following are my fun guilty confessions.


Help! (1965)
I know, I know, it’s cooler to prefer A Hard Day’s Night, but I can’t help it. This soundtrack was the first album I bought, and so Help! holds a special place in my heart. Plus, I was six when I first saw it; don't we tend to love everything from the year we turned six? A perfect viewing night is watching A Hard Day’s Night, immediately followed by Help! Damn, were there ever four cuter, more charming boys than The Beatles?


Dogma (1999)
I like Kevin Smith. His dialog is a little over the top and his potty humor a bit much at times, but I still enjoy his movies. Chasing Amy is my favorite (loved Ben Affleck before he jumped the shark into Jennifer Lopez’ arms; take a look at Dan and see why), but Dogma is the one I must watch. Comedy Central shows it a lot on Sunday mornings (I guess it's their religious programming), so I can get a viewing in at leaste every six weeks. Alan Rickman steals the Dogma show. It’s not sacrilegious, as many (and many who’ve never seen it) claim. Irreverent, yes. Sacrilegious, no.


And now for the oh, no, she didn’t moment:

Independence Day (1996)
Don’t ask me why, but I like this movie. It’s dumb, it’s stupid (yes, it deserves both dumb and stupid), it’s loud, it’s (good Lord!) an action film, it's cheesy filmmaking at its finest … and I can't turn the channel if it's on. I want Bill Pullman as my president (yes, the dreamy Bill Pullman, who almost put While You Were Sleeping in my Guilty Pleasure: Romance category); I love it when he roars “Today is your independence day!” Jeff Goldblum (already gushed about above) and Will Smith play off each other quite well, and I love their cocky, cigar-chomping stroll at the end. Added bonus: Very few brain cells are needed to follow the movie.

* * * * * *

Labels: ,

8 Comments:

At 7/26/2006 07:16:00 AM, Blogger Marni said...

I have two all time favorites... Breakfast Club and The Full Monty. Two totally different flicks, but I LOVE them.

Breakfast Club - Judd Nelson is my favorite. I've always had a thing for the bad guy, but in the end you get to see who is really is - a guy that just wants someone to love him. I'll do it without a second's hesitation.

The Full Monty - I am crazy about British humor, so this movie is right up my alley. I love the friendship these men form and watching their practices really cracks me up (especially in the unemployment line). If you haven't seen this, pick it up. I promise you will watch it time and again.

 
At 7/26/2006 07:39:00 AM, Blogger Cup said...

The Full Monty was one of OM's very favorite movies; must be something in our DNA ...

 
At 7/26/2006 08:02:00 AM, Blogger Jenna said...

I like Independence Day too. I always get suckered into it when it's on TV. Good cheesy fun.

 
At 7/26/2006 12:59:00 PM, Blogger haahnster said...

I've never seen The Beatles' movies. But, I love Dogma, and yes, Independence Day, too. How can you not root for Bill Pulman, Jeff Goldblum and Will Smith in that one?

 
At 7/26/2006 06:08:00 PM, Blogger Dale said...

DOGMA! Yay! That is such a great film.

 
At 7/26/2006 06:34:00 PM, Blogger nouseforaname said...

I'm a Mallrats girl- I think I can quote almost all of Jason Lee's lines.

 
At 7/26/2006 08:52:00 PM, Blogger Cup said...

GIZMOROX: Isn't it wonderfully hokey? Haven't seen it in about six months; need to start monitoring the USA network.

HAAHNSTER: Get your a** to the video store this weekend and rent both Beatles movies. [shakes her head in bewilderment over the young.]

DALE: Love Dogma. Now get your a** to the theater to see Clerks II.

MAT: You just redeemed your Celine-shamed soul.

SHROOM-MONKEY: Wish I was all over Jason Lee's lines ...

 
At 7/26/2006 09:55:00 PM, Blogger Dale said...

Fly Fat Ass Fly!! Wasn't that from Mallrats?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home


View My Stats