09 November 2006

Happy Birthday, Joe!

I adore Joe. He’s one of the most interesting and adorable guys I’ve ever known, just damn cool. We met while working at the Atlanta Committee for the Olympic Games, and we’ve remained friends for fifteen years. (Fifteen years, Joe? Is that possible?)

Isn’t he the cutest? Joe always made me swoon.

He loved R.E.M. nearly as much as I did (and I pray he still does). Joe and I went to R.E.M.’s first night-before album release party — for Automatic for the People — now a tradition I never miss. We shopped the town dry, drank The Globe dry, won an autographed press kit in the auction, admired Bill Berry’s very muscular arms close up (talk about your swoons). And we got to hear Automatic for the People before it was released. We also attended the New Adventures in Hi-Fi release party … and then he moved away.

We saw some great shows. R.E.M., of course. U2, with Big Audio Dynamite and Public Enemy. k.d. lang. The Peter Buck/Kevn Kinney benefit for the Atlanta Community Food Bank, with Smashing Pumpkins (I nearly embarrassed myself five times that night … but Joe saved me … or laughed.). Richard Thompson. Bob Weir. That 10,000 Maniacs show at Chastain when Michael Stipe joined Natalie on “Suspicious Minds” … and we were on the front row in ten seconds flat. And so many more.

One of my favorite Joe moments was at a fundraiser for AID Atlanta, back when Joe worked for the organization. He performed the sexiest, flirtiest drag to Lucinda Williams’ “Hot Blood.” Dan was on his knees, stuffing that garter with every dollar bill he could find.

Trying out his “Hot Blood” look

Lots of cocktailing, lots of dining, lots of introspective conversation, lots of laughter. Atlanta just hasn’t been the same since Joe left.

I’m listening to “Me in Honey” and World Party today and thinking about you, Joe. I promise to get up there before spring. I’m so glad you’re part of my life.

Be well.

Labels:

9 Comments:

At 11/09/2006 09:52:00 AM, Blogger Jeremy said...

See there? The Respect-ometer just jumped dramatically now that I know you've experienced Public Enemy live. That's good stuff. I was one what appeared to be 2 white guys in the entire Omni back in the lates 80's for one show. then we saw them play the Masquerade in the mid 90's after the rest of the hipsters caught on. They've always put a powerful, and usually informative, if not incredibly biased, show. Glad you saw them.

 
At 11/09/2006 03:05:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

happy birthday, you gorgeous man! have a great time...

is that your house you are 'hot blooding' in? can i have it?

take good care.

 
At 11/09/2006 09:48:00 PM, Blogger Cup said...

PATRICK: I'll make sure Joe gets your birthday wishes.

JEREMY: It took you this long to respect me? I loved the English Beat when you were a wee child.

M: Isn't he gorgeous? He left that place when he left the city.

LEE: Sweet ... and funny ... and thoughtful ... and smart as hell ... yep, Joe's a damn good one.

 
At 11/09/2006 10:09:00 PM, Blogger Dale said...

Joe's obviously a man of taste and distinction to have hung out with the Cup through such cool times.

 
At 11/09/2006 11:06:00 PM, Blogger Coaster Punchman said...

We worship Joe!

 
At 11/10/2006 01:01:00 PM, Blogger Cup said...

DALE: Yes, he g*ddamn is. Thanks for noticing that.

COASTER PUNCHMAN: He's so worshipable -- and he's neither Catholic nor Mormon.

 
At 11/10/2006 06:52:00 PM, Blogger Jeremy said...

I never I said I didn't respect you. I just said the Respect-ometer jumped up a few spots. PE will make that happen. But then you go and write about Warren Zevon and mess it all up.

JUST KIDDING!!!

I'm not knocking your taste on your own blog. I have a smidge of decency left. Have a good weekend.

 
At 11/12/2006 11:51:00 AM, Blogger a said...

Happy Birthday Joe! I'll always associate that song with you.

 
At 11/13/2006 08:12:00 AM, Blogger ziggystardust73 said...

I want to see Joe's Hot Blood!

oo-er, that sounded rude.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home


View My Stats