13 December 2006

Count Your Blessings

Monday's whine was a bit boring. Actually, things aren't all that bad. In fact, I've had several Christmas blessings in the last few days.

Christmas Blessing #1
We had our department Christmas dinner on Friday, which is always a grand time. I work with very cool, creative, groovy folks, so a gathering is always fun. The dinner was scrumptious. But my boss made it even better with my Christmas gift: the Amy Sedaris entertaining book! Does he know me or what?

Christmas Blessing #2
Cat Power’s Chan Marshall’s cover of Cat Stevens’ “How Can I Tell You” in this year’s DeBeers’ “A Diamond is Forever” commercial. I stop and watch the commercial every time, just to hear her voice. And that necklace is to die for!

Christmas Blessing #3
I awoke Saturday drained of all energy and personality. It was cold outside, so I curled up with the cats on the sofa and watched Christmas in Connecticut (Barbara Stanwick is so damn cool) — then stumbled across a That Girl marathon! I love and identify with Ann Marie … and her wardrobe. In fact, a lot of my love for my single life can be traced back to That Girl.

Christmas Blessing #4
If you’re lazing away an afternoon watching chick TV, you need a brownie. Believe it or not, I found a forgotten brownie — a bakery brownie, with thick fudge frosting — in my freezer. Santa loves me.

Christmas Blessing #5
How the Grinch Stole Christmas was on last night. And I watched it for the fortieth straight year. Recited large chunks of narration and sang all the songs. Loudly and happily and full of spirit, my beloved M be damned.

Welcome Christmas, as we stand, heart to heart and hand in hand.


Today’s Christmas Playlist

Clarence Carter: Back Door Santa
Ru Paul: Santa Baby
Mel Tormé: The Christmas Song
Dean Martin: The Christmas Blues
R.E.M.: Deck the Halls
Young Fresh Fellows: O Little Town of Bethlehem
Darlene Love: Christmas (Baby, Please Come Home), live on Letterman, 2004
Carpenters: Merry Christmas Darling
Alabama: Christmas in Dixie
Arthur Fiedler: Sleigh Ride

Labels: , , ,

12 Comments:

At 12/13/2006 11:07:00 AM, Blogger lulu said...

Beth, you said that you have a huge Christmas music collection, do you have Yuletunes ( http://www.blackvinyl.com/ayule1.htm ) It is my favorite Chrismas CD ever, particularly the Shoes and material Issue songs.

 
At 12/13/2006 01:18:00 PM, Blogger Dale said...

The book is hilarious just like Amy. I couldn't resist buying it and presenting it to myself early.

 
At 12/13/2006 01:36:00 PM, Blogger Marni said...

Don't forget Blessing #6 -- dinner and/or cocktails with your cousin next week... :)

 
At 12/13/2006 03:02:00 PM, Blogger Some Guy said...

I'm happy to report I am now officially in the Christmas spirit. You helped. Thanks!

 
At 12/13/2006 03:36:00 PM, Blogger barista brat said...

haha, so you watched a barbara stanwyck movie instead of a carole lombard one!

 
At 12/13/2006 05:08:00 PM, Blogger Joe said...

Great playlist. I know I never tire of seeing the Grinch. Every repeated viewing of the Chuck Jones original helps to drive that live-action Jim Carrey abomination a little farther from my mind.

 
At 12/13/2006 05:56:00 PM, Blogger Cup said...

LULU: Ooooh! I don't have that one -- and I must! I have one with Husker Du and Sonic Youth and Lou Reed, though ...

DALE: We should throw an Amy-like blog party this spring.

MARNI: Definitely on the list for next week's blessings. Plan on lots of pink cocktails.

CHRIS: So glad I could help! Now, if only I could leave a comment on your blog ...

BRAT: I love Barbara Stanwyck; she's so damn cool.

BUBS: And the respect grows deeper. Hate the movie. No need for the movie. Bah, humbug the movie!

 
At 12/13/2006 08:34:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I wondered who was singing Cat's song. Thanks!

(too bad he's turned out to be so...extreme)

 
At 12/13/2006 10:18:00 PM, Blogger Karen said...

The Amy Sedaris book is awesome. I'll buy it when I get the chance.

And How the grinch stole Christmas is a classic.

 
At 12/13/2006 11:26:00 PM, Blogger mellowlee said...

Oh, now I want to watch The Grinch! It's so great. I loved this post. We should all count our blessings on a regular basis xoxo

 
At 12/14/2006 01:02:00 PM, Blogger Old Lady said...

See, there you go telling us that you won't blog and I get behind! Shame! It sounds like you are having a good time!

 
At 12/14/2006 11:49:00 PM, Blogger Writeprocrastinator said...

Amy Sedaris pushing this book...

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2006/12/13/HOG4NMTL2N1.DTL

 

Post a Comment

<< Home


View My Stats