06 December 2006

Happy 50th, Peter!

Gawd, can it really be true? My paragon of cool — R.E.M.’s Peter Buck — is fifty today? Yes, it’s true. I guess fifty really is the new thirty. Or so I’ll keep telling myself as that milestone looms closer.

Peter is cool, cute, and cool. (Yes, I meant to use “cool” twice; he’s that groovy.) Did I mention that, after the Robyn Hitchcock show in Baltimore, Peter helped pack up the equipment and load the van? This famous guitarist, working as his own roadie. That’s so cool. And he didn’t even mock me over the passport signature ... at least not to my face.

Y’all be sure to yell “Happy birthday, Peter!” at some point today. And drink a glass of red wine in his honor. He’d like that.

And wave a blog goodbye to him for a while. Someone recently landed on my blog via a Peter Buck Technorati search … and, um … 24 of the first 25 hits were posts on this blog. I don’t want to appear obsessed or anything …

Photo credit: A friend sent this cute picture to me; I think he said he found it on Murmurs.com, where it looks like one of the Übers posted a magazine shot.

Labels:

10 Comments:

At 12/06/2006 10:39:00 AM, Blogger haahnster said...

Peter Buck is an excellent guitarist with a distinctive style/sound, a key driving force in the most important band in the world for a decade (early '80s through at least 1991).

Why not "Peter Buck is God" instead of that overrated E.C. character? That's all I'm saying.

Oh, and "Happy B-day, Peter."

 
At 12/06/2006 01:59:00 PM, Blogger Cup said...

Um, early 1980s through today, buster. But I agree with you on Peter's taking over the "XXX Is God" mantle.

 
At 12/06/2006 03:00:00 PM, Blogger haahnster said...

I was worried that you might take offense to my cutting that time period off. But, I'm just bold like that. Here's the decade-by-decade breakdown:
Decade/Most Important Artist
1950's - Chuck Berry*
1960's - Bob Dylan**
1970's - Neil Young
1980's - R.E.M.
1990's - Pearl Jam

* Or, maybe it was Elvis Presley.
** Or, maybe it was The Beatles.

You know you still love me.

 
At 12/06/2006 03:04:00 PM, Blogger Cup said...

At least you didn't list U2.

And, yes, I still love you. How can I not, with your wonderfully smart-ass comments, your slam on Clapton, and your access to Emily?

 
At 12/06/2006 08:38:00 PM, Blogger Old Lady said...

You are besotted! Yes, Happy Birthday to Peter!

 
At 12/06/2006 10:07:00 PM, Blogger barista brat said...

miss beth, i bet you'd like to give him a spanking for each of his fifty years!

 
At 12/06/2006 10:24:00 PM, Blogger Dale said...

I saw his birthday listed in the paper among all the other notables (who were so notable, I can't remember any of them) and I thought of you. Does that make you obsessed or me? Happy Birthday Peter. Hi Beth.

 
At 12/07/2006 11:13:00 AM, Blogger Cup said...

OLD LADY: Besotted for decades. He's my hero.

BARISTA BRAT: And one to grow on!

DALE: Maybe you are obsessed with me. Have you been standing outside my windows lately? I'd better pull out the maple leaf teddy ...

 
At 12/07/2006 10:35:00 PM, Blogger Dale said...

Maybe I'm amazed at the way nobody pulls down the blinds! I love it! :-)

 
At 12/08/2006 10:40:00 AM, Blogger bigshoulders said...

Peter is uber cool, indeed.
Happy belated!

b.s.

ps: Beth, I enjoyed your "Fangirl" musings... I would have very likely been giddy as well. You handled yourself better than I would have. (^_^)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home


View My Stats