05 November 2007

The Queen Ruled

My friend Jayne and I saw. The. Best. Damn. Show. Atlanta had to offer Friday night: Queen Latifah at Symphony Hall. (I hear They Might Be Giants were boring that same night. I’m not a huge TMBG fan, though.)

Queen Latifah blows the roof off the Symphony Hall joint.

I’ve been smitten with Queen Latifah’s voice since she sang her heart out in Living Out Loud — and my besmitten ears were well rewarded. Symphony Hall hash the best acoustics in the city, and Queen Latifah (and her damn fantastic band) took full advantage of the room. She sang several tunes from her new album, Trav’lin’ Light (which is well worth the download or CD purchase) and from The Dana Owens Album — blues, jazz, old-school soul, R&B. Her voice sent shivers down my spine and up my neck several times.

Partial Setlist
(in no particular order)

“Mercy, Mercy, Mercy”
“I Know Where I’ve Been”
“Georgia Rose”
“I’m Gonna Live”
“Poetry Man”
“California Dreaming”/”Masquerade”
“Trav'lin' Light”


The crowd ate her up. We jumped to our feet maybe five times during her 75-minute performance. That’s my only complaint with the show: It was too short. I could have used another hour — but I ain’t complaining.

Added bonus: Her personality was as vibrant and funny and sassy as she comes across in movies and on “Living Single.” I walked out wishing we were buddies.

* * * * * *

Labels: ,

15 Comments:

At 11/05/2007 04:21:00 PM, Blogger Barbara Bruederlin said...

I don't really know her music at all, but she seems so lovable and sassy and funny, that I have wished she was my buddy too.

Are TMBG still around?

 
At 11/05/2007 05:08:00 PM, Blogger paperback reader said...

She seems like good people, though I'm not adult contemporary enough to like what she's doing now.

 
At 11/05/2007 05:08:00 PM, Blogger Dr. Monkey Von Monkerstein said...

Your stance on TMBG makes you suspect now. I'll be watching you girl, be advised.

 
At 11/05/2007 08:14:00 PM, Blogger Mike Lewis said...

Hmmmm, you don't like the Giants? sad.

I'm sure the Queen was great, The Dana Owens album was amazing.

 
At 11/05/2007 11:47:00 PM, Blogger Artful Dodger said...

Ah Ah!! You get to see Queen Latifah??!! No fair! I've been dying to see her for years. The closes she's ever been is Houston. I am so pouting with jealousy right now.

 
At 11/06/2007 12:33:00 AM, Blogger BeckEye said...

I've always liked Latifah. I can't imagine anyone who wouldn't.

 
At 11/06/2007 06:57:00 AM, Blogger Marni said...

I want to be her best friend... I love her!!!

 
At 11/06/2007 07:17:00 AM, Blogger Allison said...

I don't know her music at all, but she's one of those people that just seems as though she'd give a kick ass performance. Just from watching clips and interviews you can tell she has a vibrant personality.

 
At 11/06/2007 10:52:00 AM, Blogger DaBich said...

Latifah rocks....no matter WHAT she is doing!!! You are a lucky girl to see her show!

 
At 11/06/2007 12:25:00 PM, Blogger SkylersDad said...

She really seems very genuine whenever I have seen her on TV, in interviews and such.

 
At 11/06/2007 07:19:00 PM, Blogger Tenacious S said...

That is insanely cool and I am insanely jealous. I do love her.

 
At 11/06/2007 08:06:00 PM, Blogger thirdworstpoetinthegalaxy said...

I've never paid much attention to Queen Latifah, but you're making me think maybe I should.

 
At 11/06/2007 08:29:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Even though I was never a big fan of hers, I'm a little disappointed she's no longer rapping.

 
At 11/06/2007 09:50:00 PM, Blogger chelene said...

I've liked her for a long time - since way back in the day - so I'm glad that she's had such a long, varied career.

 
At 11/07/2007 10:04:00 PM, Blogger Katie Schwartz said...

I love, love, loooooooove queen latifah. her voice is like silky buttah-- ah, sounds like it was f'n tits, girl.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home


View My Stats