19 October 2007

Mix Tape Friday: The Rainbow Connection

In honor of this weekend’s AIDS Walk, I’m goin’ all rainbow on you with a mix of colors. I unfortunately found out about the AIDS Walk too late to raise funds, but I plan to walk this Sunday to show my support and to remind folks that, yes, people can still contract AIDS.


However, if you wish to donate funds for my Making Strides for Breast Cancer Walk next Saturday, click here. I’m shameless — and determined to raise $1,500.

I take these mix tapes way too seriously, so of course I set a couple of rules for putting together this one: (1) five songs per color; and, (2) avoid more obvious color choices (“Purple Rain,” “Orange Crush,” “Red Rain,” “Blue Suede Shoes,” "Purple Haze"). It was damn hard to narrow down blue tunes (sorry, Lucinda, but Barbara would be all over me if I cut “Blue Monday”).

Okay, let’s stop writing and begging — and let’s start dancing and singing.


    • The Rolling Stones: She’s a Rainbow

    Bees: Voices Green and Purple

    Gogol Bordello: Start Wearing Purple

    One Block Radius: Purple and Orange

    Nas: Purple

    Snoop Dogg: Don’t Blow My High (Purple Haze)

    New Order: Blue Monday

    Rod Stewart: True Blue

    Tommy James & The Shondells: Crystal Blue Persuasion

    R.E.M.: Pale Blue Eyes

    Leonard Cohen: Famous Blue Raincoat

    Tom Waits: All the World Is Green

    Robyn Hitchcock & The Egyptians: Dark Green Energy

    George Baker Selection: Little Green Bag

    The Lemon Pipers: Green Tambourine

    Elvis Costello: Green Shirt

    Donovan: Mellow Yellow

    Yo La Tengo: Yellow Sarong

    Wussy: Yellow Cotton Dress

    Music Machine: Double Yellow Line

    Pearl Jam: Yellow Ledbetter

    Beck: Burnt Orange Peel

    10,000 Maniacs: Orange

    Moonbabies: The Orange Billboard

    Alexi Murdoch: Orange Sky

    Tori Amos feat. Damien Rice: The Power of Orange Knickers

    Cat Power: Red Apples

    Neil Young: Red Sun

    Pernice Brothers: Red Desert

    The Replacements: Red Red Wine

    Sweet 75: Red Dress

    Wire: Pink Flag

    The Flaming Lips: Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots (Pt.1)

    XTC: Pink Thing

    Stephen Malkmus: Pink India

    Nick Drake: Pink Moon

    • Sarah McLachlan: The Rainbow Connection

Not up to clicking and downloading each track? Here’s your pot of zipped gold.

There are some great psychedelic garage bands on this mix. If you don’t yet own the Nuggets box set, Haahnster and I strongly encourage you to save your allowance and pick it up before the month is out.

Find the Stipe! That's obviously Mr. Stipe singing the "Pale Blue Eyes" cover — but Michael's also backing another colorful artist. Can you find his backing vocals? Bonus points if you can also find the visiting Peter Buck.

"Green Shirt" is probably my favorite Elvis Costello tune evah. It's the song that took me from liking his very early hits to being obsessed with everything he recorded. It also reminds me of those fun, carefree college days. Give it a listen if you're not familiar with it.

* * * * * *

Labels: , , , , ,

19 Comments:

At 10/19/2007 12:01:00 AM, Blogger Joe said...

I think, at some point in the future, I see an absolutely mind-bending throwdown between you and Splotchy.

Your lists are amazing.

 
At 10/19/2007 07:55:00 AM, Blogger DaBich said...

I'd like to know WHERE you find the time to do all this???? I'd never be able to! Great list, as usual! Happy weekend.

 
At 10/19/2007 09:09:00 AM, Blogger Moderator said...

Thanks for including S. Malkmus. Great song. I believe Buck plays on the Pernice Bros. record?

 
At 10/19/2007 09:17:00 AM, Blogger Mike Lewis said...

Great mix and very very rainbow-y...

it's funny when I saw the title of the tape first thing that came to mind was RadioHead "inRainbows"... I've had Radiohead on the brain all week.

Great Mix! Was happy to see Pernice Brothers and that Flaming Lips song is great.

Being completely color blind (i see like a dog) I appreciate this mix more than most people would.

Another great mix
TGIMTF
Thank God It's MIX TAPE FRIDAY!

 
At 10/19/2007 09:28:00 AM, Blogger Artful Dodger said...

Yay!! You put my all time favorite Flaming Lips song on here. ^_^ I'm semi-hopping around with joy. (can't hop too much right now.)

 
At 10/19/2007 09:45:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Love the little colourful dots, Beth.

Nick Drake, is that the British prodigy who took his life before his genius was recognized

 
At 10/19/2007 12:34:00 PM, Blogger Malcolm said...

Seeing "Double Yellow Line" make your list was a pleasant surprise. You are right on the money about the "Nuggets" boxed set. I bought it a few years ago... it was money well spent.

 
At 10/19/2007 12:36:00 PM, Blogger Moxie said...

Looking forward to hearing these!

In other news, are you caught up on Mad Men now? Last night had a hell of a shocker! I will miss that show but Nip/Tuck starts on the 30th and that will definitely cure my ills...

 
At 10/19/2007 02:51:00 PM, Blogger Barbara Bruederlin said...

Brilliant! You've got quite a few songs on there which I would never even have thought of. But I guess that's why they pay you the big bucks.

The Replacements did Red Red Wine? Interesting, I'll certainly need to check that one out.

 
At 10/19/2007 03:15:00 PM, Blogger paperback reader said...

The first song I thought of was the 'Mats doing "Red Red Wine." Nice.

And that Elvis song is one of my absolute favorites as well. I first heard it years ago during a fun rock n' roll night where the Descendents were playing next door to John Doe, and they united to play "Johnny Hit & Run Paulene" to a bunch of pre-teens who didn't realize how cool that was.

 
At 10/19/2007 03:53:00 PM, Blogger SkylersDad said...

You are amazing!

 
At 10/19/2007 05:03:00 PM, Blogger BeckEye said...

Great mix! Especially since you're so anal (which I love) and included Pearl Jam (who I love).

 
At 10/19/2007 11:26:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

TGIF! Thanks! And thanks for doing the walk. Its people like you that keep me alive.

 
At 10/20/2007 10:55:00 PM, Blogger Jacy said...

You are so inventive!! Great idea, brilliant list.

 
At 10/22/2007 11:30:00 AM, Blogger Phil said...

Yellow Ledbetter makes me so nostalgic I wanna cry.

Thanks for the tunes and, excellent cause.

 
At 10/22/2007 03:13:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

beth
just discovered your amazing rainbow mix during my never ending tour of music blogs.

howzabout putting some of the old zips up for us latecomers.

here's a please.

thank's again.

 
At 10/22/2007 03:37:00 PM, Blogger Moderator said...

I'm right, aren't I? I knew it. Knew it, knew it, knew it.

 
At 10/22/2007 11:31:00 PM, Blogger thirdworstpoetinthegalaxy said...

OK, that's it. I'm officially addicted to Mix Tape Friday.

 
At 10/24/2007 12:15:00 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Green Shirt has the best drum sound on any record ever.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home


View My Stats