20 March 2006

My Desert Island Discs

I’m too busy at work today to come up with something witty to write, so I’m resorting to the blog copout: a list. On BBC Radio’s Desert Island Discs, celebrities select eight songs they’d want with them on a deserted island, those eight songs they couldn’t live without. I can’t imagine narrowing down to eight songs — heck, I can’t even narrow it down to eight R.E.M. albums — so I’m changing the game to list the 15 artists my deserted self couldn’t live without.

This was hard, darn hard. Before I start reworking the list again, I’d better publish it:
  1. R.E.M.
  2. Elvis Costello
  3. David Bowie
  4. Ella Fitzgerald
  5. Nina Simone
  6. Al Green
  7. Prince
  8. The Rolling Stones
  9. Rufus Wainwright
  10. Beck
  11. The Replacements
  12. Wilco
  13. Johnny Cash
  14. The B-52’s
  15. TIE: Lyle Lovett or Warren Zevon, depending on my mood the day of the capsize
My apologies to The Beatles, but my soul would need Mick and Keef to keep things lively in the sand.

Who you would request for your deserted island listening pleasure? List your selections in the Comments section. In the meantime, I’ll see if I can make a list of eight DID songs.

P.S. Karen, Colin Firth has a darn good DID list.

* * * * * *

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

At 3/20/2006 01:34:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Love that you've got the Artist Formerly Known as Talented in there. His 80s stuff can't be beat. I like a lot of the other folks on there as well. --I'd probably have to throw in the late, great Jeff Buckley for raw vocal power and sincerity.

 
At 3/20/2006 02:02:00 PM, Blogger Cup said...

Darn it! I had Jeff Buckley on the original list, but must have left him off while whittling it down. Had to skip Big Star and Willie Nelson, too. I could replace the B-52's with Jeff Buckley, but I'd need their party tunes to keep me happy and hopeful.

 
At 3/20/2006 02:15:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, Jeff's a lot of things but happy and hopeful ain't two of 'em.

 
At 3/20/2006 02:19:00 PM, Blogger Cup said...

I think that's why he was cut in the final round. Nina and Johnny will be there when I need to embrace and enjoy my blues.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home


View My Stats