22 May 2006

Art and Culture in the ’burbs

I spent Saturday in Roswell, spending scads of money and soaking up The Bard. We started at the arts festival on the square, spending much of the afternoon strolling through booths and enriching the local arts community. It was one of the best festivals I’ve been to in ages. There were several good artists showing great work. I found one beautiful, dramatic piece I’m considering in case I turn my reading room back into a dining room. Jayne bought three pieces, and each one looks beautiful on her walls. And the baubles! We both went nuts. I bought two fabulous necklaces, two great pairs of earrings, and a funky bracelet. Now I need new outfits to showcase them. I even got some sun ... but my hint of a tan has already faded.

That evening, we saw Love’s Labour's Lost, performed by the North Fulton Drama Club on the back lawn of Barrington Hall, across the street from the Roswell square. If I’m not mistaken, the North Fulton Drama Club is new, and this was their first production. They did a great job. The cast was really into it, and their enthusiasm and spirit of fun spilled into the audience. I thoroughly enjoyed the performance. I thought Scrivener, playing Holofernes, stole the show (sorry I forgot to yell “crab”) — or maybe that’s because he’s the only one I (virtually) knew in the cast. The production was set in 1963, which added a fun twist (and great music) to the farce. It was cool sitting in lawn chairs, enjoying the spring evening, and watching a Shakespeare play. A perfect end to a beautiful spring day.

* * * * * *

Labels: , , ,

3 Comments:

At 5/22/2006 02:09:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The play sounds cool. Are they going to do more outdoor performances?

 
At 5/23/2006 03:27:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

sounds like a cool show. sorry i missed it.

 
At 5/27/2006 01:59:00 PM, Blogger Scrivener said...

Beth, so glad you could make it! You'd said you were coming that night, but when I didn't see you milling about after the show, I'd figured you couldn't make it. And thanks for the compliments.

Cindy: Yes, we're going to be doing another play in October--word is, it'll be Macbeth.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home


View My Stats