19 May 2006

The Before-I-die Top 10 List

My cousin Marni recently asked me what 10 things I want to do before I die. It’s a good question. I answered her with some could-happens and some in-your-dreams. But I’ve been thinking about that question since she asked. So, dear readers, here’s my list:

1. Fall madly in love at least one more time

2. Write a novel and have it published

3. Learn how to play the guitar

4. Support myself solely on freelance work

5. Drive across the country, without a planned itinerary

6. Visit Australia, New Zealand, Asia, Africa, South America, and Latin America (OK: the world)

7. Live in Manhattan for a year

8. Get in shape — and stay in shape

9. Read all the books I own

10. Become friends with Michael Stipe and/or Peter Buck (OK, so this is an in-your-dreams … but a girl needs her fantasies in order to stay young, right?)

I’m interested to know what things you most want to do in your life. Drop a note in the comment box or send me an e-mail.

BTW: I’m about to start working with my own life coach on work/life balance, so I may be able to start checking off some of these in the next year.

* * * * * *

Labels:

9 Comments:

At 5/19/2006 12:17:00 PM, Blogger Jeremy said...

Own a '64 Ford Galaxie.
Drive it through Texas.
Own a Victory (never happen - wife hates motorcycles).
Make shirts for a living.
Learn to play the sweet ass Danelectro I've had for four years.
Finish the rest of my basement.
Be able to retire by 50.
Own a sailboat.
Keep it at my house on Tybee Island.
Learn to fly so I can fly between Tybee and Marietta.

 
At 5/19/2006 01:20:00 PM, Blogger Cup said...

I played the sweet-ass Danelectro for eight years ... it was great while it lasted.

And is it OK if I bring Michael and Peter to visit you on Tybee Island?

 
At 5/19/2006 01:58:00 PM, Blogger Marni said...

My best friend owns a house on Tybee! I have visited one time but plan on going down again... Want to make it a girl's weekend, Beth?

You know my top 10 and I am working on one of them... Being on a reality show! It seems the Amazing Race is having an open casting call on Saturday! Carl and I are going! How cool is that?!

 
At 5/19/2006 02:00:00 PM, Blogger Cup said...

SO COOL, MARNI! Keep me posted!!!

 
At 5/19/2006 04:34:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is my second try at getting a comment to come up so if my first try suddenly shows up, well, ignore it or this.

My comment is that I don't think I really have a list but Beth, your list just seems to go with my friend Lori Soderlind's book that just came out. You met Lori at my opening-she ran the marathan with me. Anyway her book, "Chasing Montana: A Love Story" seems to be about the kind of place where you are right now: the "who am I really and where do I want to be?" It's a place that we all seem destined to visit many times and maybe take up residence. The review on the back cover calls it "An understated and moving memoir that feels like a road trip with a really good friend." I've been to two readings she's done in NY and CT and I read the first chapter this morning--it's my celebration of summer almost here-- and it is really terrific. I think you would love the wry sense of humor and the sense of longing for something not quite tangible.

I'm only through the first chapter but I'm sure there's a "Moses, Moses, Moses" scene in there somewhere.

Okay, so there is one thing more I'd like to do before I die--the "Moses, Moses, Moses" scene with you!!

 
At 5/19/2006 06:42:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Beth,
I am sure you can achieve numbers 1,2(you have the talent and creativity to write a great novel),3,4,5(driving across the country without an itinerary is one on my list), 6, 7,and 8. But I do not believe you can possibly read all those books.
Have a great weekend!!

 
At 5/19/2006 10:42:00 PM, Blogger Cup said...

Hey, RCOFCHS, maybe we can retire in a big Winnebago -- -you + Holly, Renae + Greg, Mystery Boy + me -- and just go.

 
At 5/20/2006 08:28:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

OK, but when you are looking for Mystery Boy, find one who can be a designated driver, because the rest of the crew has a martini fetish.

 
At 5/21/2006 10:15:00 AM, Blogger Jeremy said...

Marni's best friend has a house on Tybee eh . . . Use some muscle to get it sold to me. I will offer as much as $54.23, so low ball it.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home


View My Stats