05 June 2006

Brush with Greatness: Prince Albert II of Monaco

Since Prince Albert and his dalliances are in the press again, I thought I’d share my moment in the royal sun.

I worked for the Atlanta Committee for the Olympic Games from 1991 to 1993. A couple of times a year, members of the International Olympic Committee came to town to check our progress and to hold board meetings. Prince Albert, an active IOC member, was finally coming to Atlanta for the winter meeting. The ACOG girls were going crazy, each hoping she’d be spotted and whisked away to the castle, just like Grace Kelley. My cubicle was near the door separating the reception area from the office area, so all the blondes were hanging out at my desk, hoping to “stumble” upon the prince. Albert was around, but he pretty much ignored them.

The giggling and loitering were driving me nuts, so I slipped away and went down the back hall to the powder room. And I ran into the prince and his entourage. Knowing that he had avoided fraternizing with the chicks, I gave him a brief smile and kept going. But he stopped me, introduced himself, and asked how I was. I was thrilled! The brunette trumped the blondes with one of the most eligible bachelors in the world!

After our short yet meaningful exchange, I went to the powder room, stopping in front of the mirror to gaze upon the visage that caught a prince's eye. And then I saw why the prince chose me for a chat — I had a frickin’ hot chocolate moustache across my upper lip, from corner to corner. I then realized I probably got Prince Albert’s attention because he was charmed by the “mentally challenged” chick working for the committee.

* * * * * *

Labels: , , , ,

8 Comments:

At 6/05/2006 09:35:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think it HAD to be the adorable freckles and silky black curls...

 
At 6/05/2006 09:42:00 AM, Blogger Cup said...

I tried holding on to that thought, Holly ... but he never called.

 
At 6/05/2006 10:31:00 AM, Blogger Marni said...

OK - laughed out loud on that one and got the eyebrows up stare from the people around me.

I think he liked the curls, too. You are SO much better than the ditzy blondes - chocolate moustache and all!

 
At 6/05/2006 05:45:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Either way he spoke to you!

 
At 6/05/2006 11:41:00 PM, Blogger Cup said...

MARNI: I'm so glad I made you laugh! Please share the story with your Cingular buddy.

GUERRILLA: Why didn't I think of the penis pierce? He would have loved that, I'm sure! I could be getting some mega-child support right now ...

WINTER: You're right; I was the only one he spoke to you. And, even better, it makes for a great story.

 
At 6/10/2006 07:39:00 AM, Blogger Dale said...

So funny! I'll have to post about the time I shook the hands of Chuck & Di. They chose the little town I grew up in Eastern Canada to do a royal walkabout years ago. It was cool but as I wasn't comfortable with the way a moustache looked on me yet, I left the chocolate milk at home.

 
At 10/30/2006 12:00:00 PM, Blogger Writeprocrastinator said...

Shoot, he just figured that if anyone knew where all the chocolate was, it was you.

 
At 1/21/2007 07:52:00 PM, Blogger Coaster Punchman said...

Oh, that's just precious. How on earth did you have a hot chocolate moustache on without knowing it?

You probably made him think he was at the Special Olympics instead....

 

Post a Comment

<< Home


View My Stats