07 June 2006

Making a “Splash”

I saw “Splash” 22 years ago tonight … well, the first part, anyway.

It was a warm summer evening. We sat at a patio table in front of the theater, maybe having a cocktail. He brought me a rose; I still have it. Entertaining chatter, light flirting. He’d been working up to it for months, but had yet to make his move.

A long-ago hurt came up, and tears rolled down my face. He put his hand over mine, a gesture to comfort me. But it woke up my emotions. I leaned in. Kissed him. With everything I had. And, boy, did he give back.

The movie started. We were sitting on the back row. Necking like teenagers. Left about 30 minutes into the film. It wasn’t the time for a movie.

There’s this wonderful park nearby. A public pool was visible from the street, but hidden in the trees was a lodge and picnic tables. We kissed and whispered and played and … well, my aunts and uncles read this blog, so let’s just say it was a beautiful moment under the stars.

Funny that he remembers more of the details than I do. But I remember that the night was perfect … and so were we, for a while.

We later saw “Splash” all the way through. I loved it; Tom Hanks was simply darling in it.

Labels: , ,

4 Comments:

At 6/07/2006 11:16:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ah, young love. I remember it well. Too bad it's just a memory now.

 
At 6/07/2006 09:00:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

i know who you're talking about

 
At 6/08/2006 08:04:00 AM, Blogger Scrivener said...

I have no idea who you're talking about, but it certainly sounds like you had a much, much better time watching Splash than I did!

 
At 6/08/2006 08:28:00 AM, Blogger Moderator said...

I think you enjoyed "Splash" on a far deeper level than I did. I saw it with my youth group at church.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home


View My Stats