05 July 2006

Another Night on the Porch

Perfect porch night. It started raining around 7 p.m. Bit of a thunderstorm with heavy rain at first, but now it’s just a steady rain. The rain broke the heat wave we’ve roasted through the last week. It’s cool again, thank God.


You can hear the rain dripping on the leaves and pouring out of the spout. Crickets are singing and lightning bugs are zipping. Since everyone else has their windows closed tight, I don’t hear any blaring TVs or radios. I get to enjoy the sounds of a summer night. Nothing more relaxing than listening to rain and crickets while watching for lightning bugs. I'm even sipping lemonade and eating watermelon. I am Southern, hear me drawl.


I’ve pretty much moved out here this summer. There’s a lamp on the table, so that I can read in the evenings. The cats have moved out here, too. We’re getting some flying bugs inside the townhouse, but that just gives the cats more toys to bat around.


There’s a leaf I always stare at when I’m zoning on the porch. It has a hot-pink squiggle across the top left. It usually takes me a second or two to find it. Once found, I can stare at it for quite a while, as I empty my brain or work on a story idea or chat on the phone.

Here’s a photo of my porch, from the office. As I type this, I'm sitting in the chair you see, but I have it turned to face the trees.


My monitor is sitting on my great-grandfather’s desk, which is in desperate need of refinishing. I’m looking for a computer desk so that I can move that equipment to the other side of the room. Once that’s done, this will be my writing area. It’s the perfect spot since I’ll have the breeze from the porch, but I won’t be distracted by the trees and the chipmunks and the lizards.

Expect great words from that corner of my world.

* * * * * *

Labels: , , , ,

9 Comments:

At 7/05/2006 10:23:00 PM, Blogger barista brat said...

i dream of having a spot to write in. someplace where, with the turn of your head, you can look out onto something picturesque.
basically, i want what you have!

i'm usually write at some cafe or bux because being at home is just too distracting.

out of curiosity, what is the poster above your computer?
p.s. i love the astroturf!

 
At 7/06/2006 12:37:00 AM, Blogger Cup said...

It's a great little spot. I've had many more ideas since the cats and I started hanging out on the porch this summer.

The poster over the computer is from a Stanley Spencer show at Liverpool's Tate Gallery; my friend Simeon and I saw the show in 1992. Amazing. If you're not familiar with Stanley Spencer, look for a book in the arts section of your bookstore.

Isn't the Astroturf tacky? I plan to buy this townhouse this summer -- and that's one of the the first things to go after the closing.

 
At 7/06/2006 02:14:00 PM, Blogger Writeprocrastinator said...

"I am Southern, hear me drawl."

Wait, wait, let me guess...that was Helen Reddy, right? No?

I give up. Can you hum a few bars?

 
At 7/06/2006 02:17:00 PM, Blogger Cup said...

I'm so glad someone caught that homage to Ms. Reddy; I've been humming it all day.

 
At 7/06/2006 07:34:00 PM, Blogger Writeprocrastinator said...

"I'm so glad someone caught that homage to Ms. Reddy; I've been humming it all day."

Yeah, and now that song is stuck in MY head. This the most that I could come up with and maybe someone else could take up the torch, so to speak...


I am Southern, here me drawl
With a patois too strong for y’all
And I don’t want to talk they do on TV
‘cause I’ve heard it all before
Even the manager at the Piggly Wiggly store
and I know that ain’t me

(maybe instead of "patois," "accent?")

 
At 7/06/2006 09:36:00 PM, Blogger Cup said...

Excellent start. But patos is more New Orleans; we're definitely accent.

 
At 7/06/2006 09:48:00 PM, Blogger Cup said...

BRAT: My cousin thought you might be referring to the painting above my monitor. It was done by a friend here in town.

 
At 7/07/2006 01:45:00 AM, Blogger Writeprocrastinator said...

"Excellent start. But patos is more New Orleans; we're definitely accent."

True dat, mon Cher, true dat.

 
At 7/07/2006 06:09:00 AM, Blogger Cup said...

YIKES! I misspelled patois! Damn, I hate typos.

But in Atlanta, it's definitely an ac-cent ... especially when I'm tired.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home


View My Stats