23 June 2006

Time to Toot My Horn

Today’s luncheon was a smash success, the social event of the utility season. The theme and décor elicited oooohs and ahhhhs … the creative brilliance of my PowerPoint presentation and soundtrack were applauded … and the message was delivered and received well. (Modest one, aren't I? Deal with it.)

The accolades didn’t stop there, dear readers. At the end of the program, I was (surprisingly, but deservedly) awarded our excellence award … because I’m just that damn fabulous. It’s one of those management honors that matters only within the halls of your organization … but I felt like the homecoming queen for a brief moment. Even our (damn handsome Southern gentleman of a) CEO came by later to personally congratulate me on my big win and fabulous party. The glass piece will look good next to my 2004 Quality Award … once I get my desk cleaned off.

The Excellence Award
By Georgia-renown glassblower (and fellow CHS grad)
Thom Lillie


Now I'm headed home to sleep off (and drink away) the last six months.

* * * * * *

Labels: ,

14 Comments:

At 6/23/2006 07:37:00 PM, Blogger Dale said...

Excellent!

I hope you thanked the members of the Academy or the members of REM.

 
At 6/23/2006 07:39:00 PM, Blogger Cup said...

Is the transcript of my speech already online?

 
At 6/24/2006 10:57:00 AM, Blogger a said...

Though I think you deserve more than a pretty award, it's fabo none-the-less! Did they give you a pitcher of margaritas to go along with that? If not, I'll buy you one next time we go out to celebrate!

 
At 6/24/2006 12:25:00 PM, Blogger Paul M. Sark said...

Congrats!
Any cash with the award?
If so, I hope it was tax-free!

 
At 6/24/2006 01:37:00 PM, Blogger Cup said...

JAMEY: Thank you! I love to congratulate myself; must be my Hamilton blood.

DAN: I'm available for margaritas Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday night. Are you available to drive me home?

PAUL M. SARK: Sadly, no cash; just the envy of my coworkers. I guess my management team believes in freedom in more ways than one.

 
At 6/24/2006 02:15:00 PM, Blogger barista brat said...

i think you should display that baby at your desk. and when a co-worker talks to you, you should casually wave your hand towards it so their eyes gravitate to the award.

 
At 6/24/2006 03:48:00 PM, Blogger Cup said...

Brat, I was considering taking her to meetings. That way, if people try to revise my copy, I can wave her around and remind them of my excellence. Or bonk them on the head with her if they don't get it. Yes, the excellence has (deservedly) gone to my head.

 
At 6/24/2006 03:50:00 PM, Blogger Jeremy said...

Naw. You should just point to it and not utter a word. Then keep doing whatever you were doing while they stand there disgusted. That'd be awesome.

And congrats!

 
At 6/24/2006 03:51:00 PM, Blogger Cup said...

See, Jeremy, that's why you were always the cool Bookstar boy. You always knew how to work it.

 
At 6/24/2006 09:24:00 PM, Blogger nouseforaname said...

You should've stage dived after- that would have been super cool!
My closing acceptance is always Arms up, cheerleading stance -Superstar! Blows them away everytime!

 
At 6/25/2006 01:09:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congrats to you Beth! You deserve all the recognition and more for all the hard work you have done. Bask in the glory of it all!!!

 
At 6/25/2006 02:05:00 PM, Blogger Moderator said...

You are totally excellent.

 
At 6/25/2006 08:06:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Way to go Beth! Way to go Thom, that's pretty cool stuff

 
At 6/26/2006 03:11:00 PM, Blogger Cup said...

SHROOM: Well, I have the klutz part down pat ...

B: I keep hoping Cat Power will hit town this summer. She's an Atlanta girl, you know.

RENAE: Oh, I'm baskin', babe ...

GRANT: You are so f*cking right.

HOLLY: Thanks!!! Thom is quite creative and very cool.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home


View My Stats