04 July 2006

Four Fourths

It’s the Fourth of July here on the porch, where I’ve spent much of this holiday weekend. And when I’m on the porch, chances are I’m in a thoughtful, reflective, reminiscent mood. I’ve had some great Independence Days — Peachtree Road Races and fireworks, barbecues and patio cocktails, friends and family being the standard celebration (and there was the Nasty Clam Incident of 2004). But four were different.

Twenty Years Ago

Love of My Life: The 1980s Edition and I were driving to Vermont, where we would camp for several days on his family’s property. We stopped in Maryland to pick up his older brother, staying there for the July 4th weekend. His brother had three beautiful blonde girls — the oldest six, the youngest a toddler. I immediately bonded with the oldest, Emily. LoML was Emily’s godfather, but he shied away from her and instead played with the two younger ones. Why? Because Emily had cerebral palsy. And, as he said, she freaked him out. This beautiful, twisted child could barely talk, but communicated in so many ways. She was full of life and happiness and love and hilarity; you couldn’t help but be bouncy and bubbly when you were with Emily. And he couldn’t even look at her.

We watched fireworks on an island that July 4th. Emily sat in my lap, so LoML wouldn’t sit next to us. The bang of the fireworks at first scared the bejesus out of Emily, but I held her tight and talked to her and showed her how beautiful the sky was right after the bang. She soon relaxed against my chest and cooed “Pretty!” at each burst. Damn, I loved that little girl.

When we returned home, I saw him in a different, uncomfortable, shallow light, knowing that he couldn’t see beyond surface flaws. We broke up six weeks later, over something stupid and trivial I pulled. It was the most devastating breakup of my life. But in my heart I knew he was no man. Today, in my personal photo album, the one I keep on my bedside table, the one with the special photos, I have a shot of me on the beach with those little girls. No photos of him.

Eleven Years Ago

As the low man on the management totem pole, I was scheduled to work the bookstore during its abbreviated holiday hours. I brought in beer for the booksellers, those equally unlucky in shifts. The store was quiet, so we enjoyed our beer and our overly educated, book-snob selves.

The store closed early, around 7 p.m. There was talk about going on to Churchill’s, but instead I went to my parents’ house. I was depressed, and lonely, and alone, and lost, afraid that my life had stalled and wouldn’t restart, and I wanted the comfort of my parents. My dad loved watching the Boston Pops’ Fourth of July concert on PBS, and so I watched it with him instead of partying with friends.

I didn’t know it at the time, but this was the last day of My Lonely Year. The next night, at a party, things changed … and Love of My Life #3 and I began our interesting eight years of adventure.

One Year Ago

OM began losing the cancer battle about this time last year. There were July 4th parties to liven, races to watch, fireworks to ooooh … but instead I shut down and locked the door. I was consumed with sadness and fear and anger, and couldn’t bear to look at another soul, to celebrate something as trivial as a national holiday (it was the mood, kids). Such loneliness in realizing you’re about to lose your dad, this great strength you’d always leaned on, that this unconditional love that would soon be gone from your life. I stayed in all day, mindlessly watching mindless movies. I went to the barbecue drive-through down the street to grab lunch, and was so embarrassed about being by myself, I ordered two platters so that the drive-througher wouldn’t know I was alone.

This Year

We’re having an indoor picnic (which I think is actually called “lunch”) this afternoon at Mama’s. Fried chicken and cole slaw, sandwiches and chips, lemonade and watermelon. There are too few of us now for Mama’s banana pudding, but there is watermelon, by God. Holidays are strange these days as we create new traditions. And if my g*ddamn cable was working, I’d watch the Boston Pops tonight and hope he was watching with me.

* * * * * *

Labels: , , ,

9 Comments:

At 7/04/2006 01:04:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

you make me cry

 
At 7/04/2006 04:33:00 PM, Blogger barista brat said...

i love reading your posts after you've been sitting on the porch.

happy fourth to you!

p.s. - i did feel quite honored that guerrilla blogger left me a comment. but it was only because he knows i'm a tour de france fan.

 
At 7/04/2006 05:36:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks to a reminder from Mat..

So glad you did not miss the dance.
So glad.

Woo hoo.

 
At 7/04/2006 08:44:00 PM, Blogger Cup said...

BRAT: It's a good little porch. I'm out here now, listening to a bird sing and watching my cats go crazy over the lizard down on the ground. Tell GB I miss his comments, and to let us know when he's blogging again. Was it the audio post that did him in?

JUDITH: I hope you're dancing your heart out right now, dear aunt.

 
At 7/05/2006 10:46:00 AM, Blogger Bill said...

Great post, hope that the rest of your 4th went well. I also spent a good part of the day on the back porch cooking for people and I know how such settings can make you contemplative; although the 4th isn't as charged with memories for me; here's to making some new ones though!

 
At 7/05/2006 03:18:00 PM, Blogger haahnster said...

Wow! I just got to this post (still catching up from a long weekend of very light blogging). That stuff about Emily (also my 1-year-old daughter's name) and your ex's inability to handle her cerebal palsy has me about to blubber in my cubicle. This is not good, and probably a strong indication that I shouldn't be catching up on my blogging at work!

Your writing packs an emotional wallop. Thanks for the great post!!!

 
At 7/05/2006 08:14:00 PM, Blogger Cup said...

BILL: It was a great Fourth! Glad you had a good one, even with Potato throwing you under the bus.

HAAHNSTER: I'm thrilled that the post moved you. I should have known then, huh? My only regret is I lost contact with Emily after we broke up.

 
At 7/09/2006 07:49:00 PM, Blogger Dale said...

Great idea and lovely post Beth.

 
At 7/09/2006 07:59:00 PM, Blogger Cup said...

Thanks, Dale. Have I mentioned that I'm glad you're back?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home


View My Stats