31 July 2006

Bob and Karen Had It Right

I hate Mondays. Always have, since the second grade. For forty years I’ve suffered from a raging case of Sunday afternoon malaise. Nausea begins its swirl around 4:00 p.m., when I hear the clock chime and realize the weekend is nearly done.

I don’t have a reason to hate Mondays. I have a decent job, one that allows me to be creative. I like my boss and coworkers. I work in an environment where I can be any one of my selves — the outrageous girl, or the arty tart, or the sociable hermit.

But I do. To quote that demigod Bob Geldof, during his tenure with the Boomtown Rats, “I Don’t Like Mondays.”

Did you know that Bob Geldof read the news wire that inspired "I Don't Like Mondays" in the WRAS studios? 'Tis true.

I run late nearly every Monday morning. I rarely sleep beyond 7:30 on weekends (I’m a world-class napper). But it’s all I can do to get out of bed by 7:45 on the moon’s day. I stay up until at least 1:00 a.m. Sunday, trying to squeeze in every precious second of weekend freedom, so I’m dead tired when that damn screeching alarm announces the birth of another work week.

And my Monday mornings are peppered with meetings — thirty minutes in a meeting, half an hour at my desk, another thirty in a meeting, and so on until early afternoon. I hate meetings.

WARNING: If you have bad news to deliver, save it for Tuesday. I don’t always handle it well on Mondays. As Ms. Carpenter sings in “Rainy Days and Mondays,” they always get me down.

So I do what I can do to survive. Buy baubles online. Flirt via e-mail. Daydream about my secluded life as a writer. Concentrate on brainless tasks. Listen to my dance and alt/rap playlists (nothing like The Replacements and Public Enemy and The Ramones to soothe my Monday soul).

But sometimes Mondays bring surprises, something that chases away my blues. I came home tonight to Oh-OK’s complete recordings. Lively, alive Athens pop, finally on CD. And I danced as hard as I could to “Lilting” and “Person” and “Such and Such.” I haven’t danced to these songs in years, maybe decades. I feel twenty years younger. And this Monday ends in ninety minutes.

And just this moment I bought a ticket to tomorrow's Tom Waits show — at face value. Craigslist never lets me down.

So, maybe sometimes Monday is a good day. At least the evenings can be.

Labels: ,

13 Comments:

At 8/01/2006 02:37:00 AM, Blogger barista brat said...

yay! you got your ticket!

how hard was if for you to refrain from screaming out "brilliant! fabulous!" when you located it on craigslist?

 
At 8/01/2006 04:48:00 AM, Blogger Cup said...

Very hard. I almost allowed myself to break the rule.

 
At 8/01/2006 05:51:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, nooo...think back...do you really LOVE craiglist or does, maybe, craiglist work well for you?
You have a fun Tuesday!

 
At 8/01/2006 05:54:00 AM, Blogger Cup said...

Damn it! Another Hamilton, another black mark. I'm off to cheat, auntie .......

 
At 8/01/2006 06:10:00 AM, Blogger Dale said...

Excellent news about the ticket and I liked your laundry list of ways you make it through Monday. I tolerate the day but barely. I think I'm a sociable hermit, nice turn of phrase.

I've been teaching myself over the years to try and not hate Sunday afternoons by taking advantage of anything I can do to distract myself from the whole mess.

 
At 8/01/2006 06:14:00 AM, Blogger Cup said...

Where would we sociable hermits be without the Internet and e-mail, Dale? I tend to anesthetize myself on Sunday evenings with television -- one of the few nights I'll watch anything. I was in heaven during "The X-Files" Sunday night run, and HBO does a good job of helping me forget the inevitable ... and, well, I love "Gray's Anatomy." With lots of wine.

 
At 8/01/2006 07:39:00 AM, Blogger Marni said...

Mondays are always a blur to me... I have a much harder time with Tuesdays. It is like I psych myself up for Monday, get through it, and then realize I still have the REST of the week to deal with.

Next time I am marrying for money. This working stuff sucks!

 
At 8/01/2006 08:15:00 AM, Blogger Cup said...

Find a rich one with a cousin, cousin.

 
At 8/01/2006 11:33:00 AM, Blogger haahnster said...

Sweet score on the TW ticket! Have fun.

 
At 8/01/2006 10:31:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Only you could manage to quote The Carpenters and The Boomtown Rats in the same post! Well done!

Hee! My test "word" is ehmeeef!

 
At 8/02/2006 08:33:00 PM, Blogger Cup said...

HAAHNSTER: Did.

GLASSMEOW: I was kind of impressed with myself on that one.

 
At 8/05/2006 03:06:00 AM, Blogger Writeprocrastinator said...

Hey, try starting your Monday at 10 PM on Sunday Night like I do, you'll really hate them then.

Still, at my job, several people love Mondays because they have Monday-Tuesday off and it's their Saturday.

Summer, the ski slopes during Winter, movies, and museums are rarely crowded for them.

 
At 8/05/2006 04:43:00 AM, Blogger Cup said...

10 p.m. Sunday? Yeah, that sucks. Your cohorts must hate Wednesdays, then. "I Don't Like Wednesdays" just doesn't have the same punch, does it?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home


View My Stats