20 August 2006

Happy Birthday, Dan!

If you've read this blog more than a few times, you've probably gathered that Dan is one of my five favorite non-relatives. And today is the boy's birthday. I'm 3,000 miles away and can't celebrate with him this weekend, but we'll make up for it later in the week.


Dan is the best ex-beau you could ask for. We were together for eight years, and now we're not. But there's still a lot of love and respect there, so we continue to enjoy a great friendship few understand.

He's still my favorite bookstore-and-a-movie date. My favorite bitch-about-the-day listening post. One of the first I call when something fabulous or f*cked happens. The one with whom I can be my silliest or my bitchiest, my most manic or quiet. He's the one I can talk to about art and baubles, cry about boy stuff and girl stuff, yammer about music categories, just be myself. He's rescued me so many times, his ringtone is the "Batman" TV theme. Dan knows more of my secrets than anyone else ... and yet he still calls me "sweetie."

My dad's funeral was held on Dan's birthday last year. Typical of Dan, he thought of me first, and went as my date to the service and gathering at my parents' house. I couldn't have made it through that year (or the year since) without him to lean on, and for that I'll always love him.


We've had some great adventures Paris and San Francisco, Kansas City and New York, New Orleans and Memphis, Athens and Savannah, the beach and the mountains. I hope we have another excursion soon; dan is a great and adventurous travel companion.

Dan will alway be one of the great loves of my life, and the best friend a woman could have. Happy birthday, sweetie.

* * * * * *

Labels: ,

10 Comments:

At 8/21/2006 01:46:00 AM, Blogger barista brat said...

your post made my eyes misty.

happy birthday dan!

 
At 8/21/2006 03:16:00 AM, Blogger Cup said...

He's a great guy, Brat. You should see his Muppet dance.

 
At 8/21/2006 07:56:00 AM, Blogger Dale said...

And Dan has his own dinosaur. That is the coolest thing ever. I heart Dan now too.

 
At 8/21/2006 08:01:00 AM, Blogger Writeprocrastinator said...

"Typical of Dan, he thought of me first, and went as my date to the service and gathering at my parents' house. I couldn't have made it through that year (or the year since) without him to lean on, and for that I'll always love him."

People have made saints for doing less. He is a true stand-up guy.

 
At 8/21/2006 08:11:00 AM, Blogger Cup said...

DALE: It's what first attracted me to Dan. How can you not want to be with a dino-riding boy?

WRITEPROCRASTINATOR: He really is. I'm lucky he's still one of my life companions.

 
At 8/21/2006 09:19:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY DAN!!!! guess it's a little late but it's sincere.
Hope to see you sometime!

 
At 8/21/2006 07:34:00 PM, Blogger a said...

Wow. I got kudos from folks I don't even know! Sweet... Thank you everyone for all of the kind thoughts. Ms. Coffey is one of my favorite people, and one I'm sure to hang with for the rest of my life. I'm glad she's discovered such a great following, and I'm proud to be one of "the Cups."

Now, back to my BBQ and beer...

 
At 8/21/2006 08:03:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday Dan. You impressed me when you drove down my very steep driveway full speed ahead. Hope to see you sometime, maybe at a Beth function

 
At 8/25/2006 08:56:00 PM, Blogger Mother of Invention said...

Wow, that is so great that you can still be such wonderful friends! very cool.
And you have tickets to Bruce C.?
He's one of my favs!
I like Rufus W. too.

 
At 8/25/2006 09:03:00 PM, Blogger Cup said...

He's a good one, Mother. We're lucky that our friendship is still great.

I saw Rufus at the Atlanta Botanical Gardens last summer. Brilliant!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home


View My Stats