02 August 2006

Ryan Adams and Tom Waits. Not a Bad Week.

While caught up in my whiny lamentation of Monday, I forgot to mention that we saw Ryan Adams on Saturday. I walked into the Tabernacle expecting to be disappointed. My West Coast doppelganger saw him a month prior, and said he was so stoned it took him two minutes to take off his jacket, that the performance was for shite. But we got lucky. We got the good Ryan. He sounded incredible and put on one helluva show. He didn't sing his heartbreakingly beautiful cover of "Wonderwall," but I forgave him since he gave a remarkable performance. And we got lucky. I talked to someone at the Tom Waits show who saw the Sunday show, a show that put the stoned, surly Ryan back on stage.

Did I mention that I got a last-minute ticket to see Tom Waits last night? I'm too tired to write a full review (I'll try to do that this evening) and I want to keep it to myself for a while , but I will say it was the best show I've seen all year. And I've seen a lot of shows. Tom Waits was spectacular. Yet "spectacular" seems rather weak in describing the man and the performance. I was mezmerized. Still am. Normally, I don't mind going to a concert by myself, but this was moment in my life I wish I'd shared with someone. If you ever get a chance to see Tom Waits, grab that chance.

* * * * * *

Labels:

13 Comments:

At 8/02/2006 07:34:00 AM, Blogger Dale said...

No comment on the Ryan as I don't know anything other than the fact that's he's a bit unreliable.

So Tom cast his spell did he? I'm glad it was so great. I'll be watching for him in case he comes near.

 
At 8/02/2006 09:37:00 AM, Blogger Scrivener said...

My wife and I sort of debated going to see Ryan Adams, but didn't in part because of his famous unreliability. Glad to hear it was a good show.

 
At 8/02/2006 09:38:00 AM, Blogger Scrivener said...

Sorry I couldn't make it to Tom Waits (really, I'm ony somewhat familiar with his music), but get a ticket for the Decemberists and we can meet up at the Tabernacle for that show. I'm bringing Ella, my five-year-old.

 
At 8/02/2006 10:01:00 AM, Blogger kfluff said...

Anxiously awaiting your Tom Waits review, so that I can eat my heart out...

 
At 8/02/2006 10:42:00 AM, Blogger chez bez said...

I am so excited about seeing Tom in Nashville this week. I'm glad you liked the show in Atlanta.

Easily, he is my fave artist. It seems that unlike many musicians, he just gets harder and more "punk" with age. Definitely a man in it for the music and not market share.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts on your blog.

 
At 8/02/2006 11:00:00 AM, Blogger Moderator said...

I saw Tom Waits in 1988 or something and thought he was crap. But I also thought EMF were incredible. I was not the brightest.

 
At 8/02/2006 11:57:00 AM, Blogger Austin said...

Thanks for the comment on my blog, Beth. Indeed, the Waits experience was a surreal one. Wanna trade links or sumpin? Shoot me an email if so.

 
At 8/02/2006 12:56:00 PM, Blogger haahnster said...

Grant Miller, that's simpy "Unbelievable."

Oh, I've gone and done it again. You see, EMF had a song called...

Forget it.

 
At 8/02/2006 04:14:00 PM, Blogger Bill said...

I would leave an insightful comment but I'm much to jealous of you having seen those 2 shows (I have only seen a "bad" ryan adams show, where he was drunk and surly)!

 
At 8/02/2006 07:38:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can't wait for your Tom Waits review so I can eat Kfluff's heart out.

 
At 8/02/2006 08:27:00 PM, Blogger Cup said...

DALE: Consider this girl under Mr. Waits' spell. I want to start talking like him.

SCRIVENER: It was a hit-or-miss weekend with Ryan Adams. Seems to be the norm with the boy. And I plan to get my Decemberists tix tonight.

KFLUFF: Grab a knife and fork; the post will be up in a few hours.

CHEZ BEZ: So jealous that you have tix to the Ryman. Waits at the Ryman! What a perfect place. I'll check your blog after Saturday. You're going to be a happy man on Sunday.

GRANT: And that Milli Vanilli show ...?

AU$10: Still on a high from last night. I'll shoot you an e-mail later this evening.

HAAHNSTER: Your pop music is showing. Unbelievable ...

BILL: Ryan Adams because an uncle that morning; I think that's the only reason why we got a good show.

M: You're so selfish.

 
At 8/24/2006 03:38:00 PM, Blogger Peter Brown said...

Tom Waits is a little weird for me but he's a local boy here in Santa Rosa. Also very touchy about being recongnized. Comes into a news shop downtown and the clerks just pretend he doesn't exsit.

There are lots of odd Tom Waits stories around town.

 
At 8/24/2006 10:15:00 PM, Blogger Cup said...

Having lived in close proximity to R.E.M., I know that "pretending he's not standing there" attitude. You should share some of those Tom Waits stories!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home


View My Stats