04 September 2006

It's so High Fidelity

And I get to play the John Cusack role, thanks to the well-coifed Scrivener’s tag.

Three people who make me laugh
1. Paige
2. Stephen Colbert and Jon Stewart (they count as one, dammit)
3. David Letterman

Three things I can do
1. Make you laugh
2. Tell you way too much more than you want to know about R.E.M., any great album, any musician I adore (as Dale will attest)
3. [edited for family content]

Three things I can’t do
1. Sing (but that doesn’t stop me)
2. Whistle
3. Say “no”

Three things I’m doing right now
1. E-mailing back and forth with the Northwest doppelganger
2. Eating a spiked watermelon
3. Enjoying R.E.M.’s New Adventures in Hi-Fi

Three things I want to do before I die
1. Fall madly in love one more time
2. Have a short story published
3. Live in the mountains

Three things I hate the most
1. People so close-minded in their extreme beliefs — Republican or Democrat, Christian or agnostic — that they won’t stop and listen to your views
2. Dubya’s (attempt at a) presidency
3. When someone doesn't e-mail back after you’ve asked a question or are in the middle of an e-conversation

Three things that scare me
1. Rats
2. Neo-cons
3. Michael Bolton

Three things I don’t understand
1. Econ 101
2. Neo-cons
3. Michael Bolton

Three skills I’d like to learn
1. Playing the guitar
2. Water skiing
3. Writing a short story

Three ways to describe my personality
1. Flirty
2. Funny
3. Fiercely loyal

Three things I think you should listen to
1. R.E.M.
2. Nina Simone
3. Gram Parsons

Three things you should never listen to
1. Someone who tells you your beliefs are wrong or naïve or utopian
2. Fox News
3. Michael Bolton

Three favorite foods
1. Very rare ahi tuna
2. Sushi
3. Salmon with béarnaise sauce (but only in Paris)

Three beverages I drink regularly
1. Dasani bottled water
2. Triple grande nonfat latte
3. Margarita swirls (the swirl is sangria!) from Casa Grande

Three shows I watched as a kid
1. “That Girl”
2. “The Mary Tyler Moore Show”
(Believe it or not, both of these shows influenced who I am today; look for a column about that in the near future)
3. “The Partridge Family”
(I loved David Cassidy; I had the most photos of him in the sixth grade, and I'm still proud of that accomplishment.)

Three blogs I’m tagging
1. Eclectic Tales, because she always has a great story to tell and she tells them well
2. The Road Goes on Forever, because he understands what’s important in life and has so much joy in his
3. KulturFluff, because I like how her mind works

* * * * * *

Labels: ,

23 Comments:

At 9/05/2006 05:54:00 AM, Blogger barista brat said...

spiked watermelon?

is that another southern thing like peanuts and coke? should i expect another colbert rant about this?

 
At 9/05/2006 05:55:00 AM, Blogger Writeprocrastinator said...

Spiked with vodka or gin? Ooooh, how about Midori?

 
At 9/05/2006 07:30:00 AM, Blogger Cup said...

BEN: The spiked watermelon had lots of vodka poured and soaked in. Yum! And I do love fish; didn't realize how much until I hit that part of the quiz. Monster (in a nanosecond): Moments of greatness, moments of bloat ... and it hurts me to disparage my boys.

BRAT: Mr. Colbert wasn't a frat boy in the South, so he might. Try a spiked watermelon one night soon!

WRITEPROCRASTINATOR: Mmmmmmm, midori! All we had at the lake was vodka, so that's what I used. But a midori-spiked melon would be glorious!

 
At 9/05/2006 07:39:00 AM, Blogger Dale said...

Which haircut of Michael Bolton's scared you the most? For a while there, he had 2 or 3 at the same time didn't he? Bald on top, long at the back and fuzzy everywhere else?

You're already a writer so the short story skill is sewn up.

I wonder what Stephen Colbert and Jon Stewart watched as kids?

 
At 9/05/2006 07:46:00 AM, Blogger Cup said...

It's the multi-haired Bolton that scared me the most. But, boy, can he f*ck up a soul classic.

You should read my short stories right now ... or listen to my "you're a talentless hack" rants these days. Ugh.

DAMN! I should have tagged Stewart and Colbert!

 
At 9/05/2006 07:52:00 AM, Blogger Will said...

I was teasing you about "Monster". IMO it's a better album than I think is credited. It's not their best but with the back catalogue they've got it's still good. "Adventures" is way better although won't get in my 300 favourites.

 
At 9/05/2006 07:58:00 AM, Blogger Cup said...

I loved Monster when it was first released ... then became bored with it ... then came back and loved it again. There are some great rockers on there. "Crush with Eyeliner" is probably my fave, and "What's the Frequency, Kenneth?" still makes me laugh. I'd like to see the boys rock like "Bang and Blame" on their next album.

New Adventures in Hi-Fi is in my Top R.E.M. Five, so it would make my 300 list. I think it's a grossly overlooked album.

 
At 9/05/2006 09:03:00 AM, Blogger ziggystardust73 said...

spiked watermelon - YUM!

I drink watermelon martinis whenever I can....

oh, and Michael Bolton is the devil.

 
At 9/05/2006 11:06:00 AM, Blogger Coaster Punchman said...

I anxiously await the "That Girl/MTM" post. MTM is one of my idols.

 
At 9/05/2006 03:05:00 PM, Blogger Cup said...

ZIGGY: Mmmmmm ... watermelon martini; wonder if our office cafeteria carries them? Glad we see eye-to-eye on that Bolton=devil thing.

ANOMIE: I used Emeril's tips ... which basically means as much vodka as you can get in there.

COASTER PUNCHMAN: I hope to have it up in the next couple of weeks. I wanted to be Ann Marie or Mary Richards.

 
At 9/05/2006 04:17:00 PM, Blogger David Amulet said...

Michael Bolton received more mentions than anyone else here. I wonder if the Bolton Mafia will come after your site now.

-- david

 
At 9/05/2006 04:25:00 PM, Blogger Cup said...

Oh, I hope so, David! I'd love to do battle with music-challenged wimps!!!

 
At 9/05/2006 06:26:00 PM, Blogger Cup said...

It's starting, David; I just had my first Michael Bolton Google hit.

 
At 9/05/2006 06:26:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, I know a neo-con that could teach you to waterski, come on up, quick before the water cools down

 
At 9/05/2006 06:29:00 PM, Blogger Cup said...

Actually, that water-skiing instructor took a test today; seems he's a centrist, not a neo-con.

 
At 9/05/2006 06:36:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Actually I think there is something wrong with the test, I took it and guess who IS a neo-con water ski coach according to that silly test?

 
At 9/05/2006 06:38:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just call me Centrist Randy who is married to a neocon.

 
At 9/05/2006 09:14:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Northwest Doppelganger?

'k then I read the rest of that section of the post

My favorite R.E.M. album! Still. New Adventures in Hi Fi is their best yet. IMHO

When I get back to my Mac (and a WiFi spot) I've got the coolest pic of my Beetle with two others - same color - interspersed with Blue Mazda 3s. Out front of the place where I get my hair cut. The last time I didn't park out front. Parked around the corner in front of the Bux. If I had, there would have been 3 Green Beetles in a row.

Hee!

Spiked watermelon, eh?

 
At 9/06/2006 11:46:00 PM, Blogger Cup said...

HOLLYC + RCOFCHS: Will y'all have Point/Counterpoint discussions a la Dan Ackroyd and Jane Curtain while I waterski? That would ROCK!

GLASSMEOW: Yes, I have a friend in your general part of the U.S. who is my doppelganger. She's the coolest woman ever. And, yes, spiked watermelon. It's like pouring vodka in your Beetle.

 
At 9/07/2006 10:43:00 AM, Blogger The Scottish Tart said...

Michael Bolton. :shiver:

 
At 9/07/2006 10:48:00 AM, Blogger Cup said...

Glad you're with us, Shewearsplaid!

 
At 9/08/2006 01:21:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I had visions of watermelons wearing bondage gear - spikes and leather...

NOT that I'd know where to actually purchase anything like that :P

Got the Dylan. Sitting in a Bux now (they're playing great tunes tonight - Joe Henry and now Gordon Lightfoot) I'll rip the shrinkwrap off of it for the ride home.

 
At 9/08/2006 06:36:00 PM, Blogger Shelley said...

So this is where Old Lady's tag came from...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home


View My Stats