13 March 2007

Happy Blogday to Moi!

I started this little corner of the wired world one year ago this evening. At the time, I thought I’d have a handful of readers — Dan, Paul, Jeremy, the sister, a few friends. I never realized people outside my immediate world would care to read about my obsessions. Nearly 300 posts … 33,000 hits from every non-frozen continent … 3,100 peeks at my profile … hundreds of R.E.M. mentions later … and I’ve been humbled.

I’ve made some real friends through the blog, friends here in Atlanta and as far across the country as you can get from Atlanta. I’ve found a few beaux, thanks to a post here or a Google there. And I’ve made several virtual friends, people I’ll probably never meet, but know on so many levels.

This is reading like an acceptance speech, isn’t it? I guess this is my own hall of fame induction ceremony. An inflated sense of self-worth, maybe? Well, hell, it’s my blogday!

I’ve learned a lot — about music and life and politics and books. other parts of the country and the world — thanks to your blogs. I’ve discovered some great writers — thoughtful ones, funny ones, honest ones. And so many folks with whom I can obsess about R.E.M., concerts, and the latest great new album.

Thanks to the blog, I got off my ample a** and ventured back into experiencing the things I love. I saw more concerts last year than I did in the previous three combined. (The concert roll to your right is helping, since locals contact me about shows they want to see, too.) Discovered new writers for my shelves. New movies, TV shows, even a local Shakespeare troupe (beginning rehearsals this week for May’s performances).

I know I’ve been a slack blogger in ’07 … but you wouldn’t believe my workload. Heck, I don’t believe my workload. I’m a couple of weeks from the downslope, so expect daily posts again very soon. You haven’t read enough about R.E.M. lately, have you?

* * * * * *

Labels: ,

18 Comments:

At 3/13/2007 08:38:00 PM, Blogger bigshoulders said...

Lemme be the first to say...
H a p p y B i r t h d a y!

 
At 3/13/2007 08:40:00 PM, Blogger bigshoulders said...

that should have read B l o g d a y... you get the message. :) I have cake on me brain

cheers!

 
At 3/13/2007 09:48:00 PM, Blogger Scrivener said...

Happy blogiversary! So glad to have you in this corner of the world.

 
At 3/13/2007 10:39:00 PM, Blogger haahnster said...

Good Gawd, I just saw some photos...You are sooooooo right about Ol' Keef and the 'stache. That's gnarly!!!

I mean, that thing is so bad it's comical!

 
At 3/14/2007 01:51:00 AM, Blogger barista brat said...

happy bloggerversary!!!!

 
At 3/14/2007 02:53:00 AM, Blogger Cup said...

BIG SHOULDERS: Thanks! You're just psychic ... because the birthday countdown begins in just a few days ...

SCRIVENER: Ours is a lovely little corner, isn't it?

HAAHNSTER: Told you. It's like he wants to look like Jack Sparrow's dad or something.

BRAT: Thanks, doll!

 
At 3/14/2007 06:54:00 AM, Blogger Marni said...

YAY for you! Mine is coming up in May! I can't believe we've been doing this for a year...

Hugs!

 
At 3/14/2007 08:45:00 AM, Blogger Some Guy said...

Congrats, Beth! Thanks for being one of my earliest supporters!

 
At 3/14/2007 05:34:00 PM, Blogger Dale said...

Happy Everything Beth! You prove easily that even though blogging is made of people, it can be a great thing!

 
At 3/14/2007 10:55:00 PM, Blogger Moxie said...

Happy Blog-day, albeit a day late. I don't stop by often, but I always enjoy reading your blog. Your posts on music motivate me to check out new artists (provided I remember to do so...I tend to be distracted by shiny objects).

 
At 3/15/2007 03:35:00 PM, Blogger Writeprocrastinator said...

Beth,

Happy Blogiversary and many more! We miss your posts and hope that you will be able around a little more than the last four months.


Don't forget that Andy Richter has a new show on tonight...

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2007/03/12/DDGLAOI6HB1.DTL

I think this will get axed faster that "A.R. Controls The Universe," but it got a decent review.

 
At 3/15/2007 11:52:00 PM, Blogger Joe said...

Happy anniversary, and congratulations Beth! I've really enjoyed visiting here. Thanks.

 
At 3/16/2007 11:06:00 AM, Blogger Tenacious S said...

I absolutely enjoy your enthusiasm for music. I think we have the same disease.

 
At 3/17/2007 04:44:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

does your blog get a birthday week like you do?

 
At 3/18/2007 02:45:00 PM, Blogger Old Lady said...

Happy happy blog day!

 
At 3/19/2007 07:56:00 PM, Blogger Tumuli said...

Happy blog birth! And may you attend many more shows.

 
At 3/24/2007 01:26:00 AM, Blogger mellowlee said...

OH my goodness, I cant believe I missed your Blogoversary! Happy belated Blogoversary Beth!

 
At 6/06/2007 09:05:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Belated Blogoversary to you.

I've just discovered your blog this fine morning. An R.E.M.-centric blog based in Georgia! Good start to the day.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home


View My Stats