16 April 2007

Okay, so I Write About Music all the Damn Time

But this time it’s the Pug’s fault. She tagged me weeks ago … I just remembered it … and all my post ideas are midstream at the moment. And what’s the use of having an obsession if you can’t obsess?

Meme: List seven songs you’re into right now ... no matter what they are. BUT they must be songs you’re presently enjoying.

Thanks to the iPod shuffle, there are as many older tunes as newer ones.

R.E.M.: Radio Free Europe
I can’t get enough of it right now; I must listen to it three or four times a day. Maybe it’s the birthday and the workload … but my brain needs to escape to 1983 whenever it can these days.

Ted Leo & The Pharmacists: The Toro and The Toreador
I stop whatever I’m doing when shuffle queues up this one. It’s unlike much of Ted’s work. It’s beautiful, in its own way.

Wilco: Pot Kettle Black
I’m on a mega-Wilco kick these days. We saw Tweedy back in January. Scrivener got our advance tix for the June show. Sky Blue Sky is … um … going to be great, I hear. And I need to dance in my chair as much as possible to survive the workday. You should be on a Wilco kick, too.

Regina Spektor: Fidelity
I finally downloaded the album thanks to an iPod gift card. I love singing along when she stretches and bounces “heart.” Brilliant album; glad she’s finally getting some recognition.

Pete Yorn: Splendid Isolation
It’s on his new album, but he recorded it a few years ago for the Warren Zevon tribute album Enjoy Every Sandwich. Pete does a pretty good job … but Zevon’s is much better, natch.

Amy Winehouse: Rehab
Damn, her voice blows me away … all the way to the early 1960s soul days.

XTC: Stupidly Happy
Yeah, it’s old … but a really cute boy put it on a mix CD he made me. I love mix CDs. And really cute boys.


And now I tag:
Passion of the Dale: He’ll surprise me.
Tanya Espanya: Lullabies?
Tumuli: He loves “Rehab,” too.
Lulu: We need some punk on this page.
Some Guy’s Blog: Love songs?
Katbox: Hitchcock-centric, maybe?
Coaster Punchman: Because love means never having to say you’re sorry.

* * * * * *

Labels: ,

24 Comments:

At 4/16/2007 10:44:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

OMG! Tagging across bloglines! :P

It actually could end up quite R.E.M.-centric based on what's in the cd changer this week!

Had to sit in the Beetle with the stereo up way past loud to hear the end of "So Fast, So Numb" just this lunch hour...

 
At 4/16/2007 11:27:00 PM, Blogger Joe said...

I absolutely LOVE Radio Free Europe. One of the catchiest pop songs ever written. I never get tired of hearing it.

 
At 4/16/2007 11:39:00 PM, Blogger Artful Dodger said...

*sigh* Amy Winehouse is the best. I wish they would've brought her music state side a long time ago.

 
At 4/16/2007 11:57:00 PM, Blogger Coaster Punchman said...

Thanks, Ali! This one will be fun and will require some thought.

 
At 4/17/2007 12:14:00 AM, Blogger lulu said...

Yeah, I hear Sky Blue Sky is gonna be great...

I might have to tag myself on this one, unless someone tags me (pleasepleaseplease)

 
At 4/17/2007 05:18:00 AM, Blogger Cup said...

GLASSMEOW: R.E.M.-centric is always allowed — no, encouraged — on this page. Good to know someone's paying attention.

BUBS: Isn't it perfect? Pure freedom when I dance to it.

ARTFUL DODGER: I have Ms. Winehouse's earlier stuff; glad she's getting her much-due props.

COASTER PUNCHMAN: I await your post with bated breath.

LULU: You are TAGGED, my friend.

 
At 4/17/2007 09:14:00 AM, Blogger Tanya Espanya said...

My darling Beth,

Here's my post on the music thingy. I feel bad that I can't be as clever and writey like you and all your cool friends when it comes to music. I'm just a lame nerd! (Okay, I'm awesome, too).

 
At 4/17/2007 09:43:00 AM, Blogger Tenacious S said...

Beth, great tunes. They're playing in my head already. Lulu and I got to see Ted Leo last summer, great show. I keep meaning to download the new one from eMusic. I also adore Pete Yorn. To me, there's something heartbreaking about his voice. I can't resist, tag or no tag, I'll be posting this one. You know I have a constant soundtrack running in my head.

 
At 4/17/2007 10:01:00 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

"Stupidly Happy" is awesome.

 
At 4/17/2007 11:48:00 AM, Blogger Some Guy said...

Consider it done, Beth!

 
At 4/17/2007 03:26:00 PM, Blogger Dale said...

Like most, I enjoy being tagged as long as it isn't toe tagged. I'll get my brain to whirring and think on this.

I loved the Amy Winehouse vid on Tumuli's blog from her Charlotte Church show appearance.

Nice choices too Beth - XTC, REM and some bands with more than three letters! Excellent.

 
At 4/17/2007 03:27:00 PM, Blogger Dale said...

Tanya - so you're still only into those 7 songs? Come on!

 
At 4/17/2007 08:37:00 PM, Blogger Tanya Espanya said...

Dale, I wasn't sure if I was supposed to post new ones, or just repeat myself...I can't keep up with all your rules, you bossy bumblebee!

 
At 4/17/2007 09:36:00 PM, Blogger Cup said...

NYA ESPANYA: Awesomely lame one, sorry I didn't notice you'd already played that game.

TEN S: We saw Ted Leo last fall and loved him. Wanted to see him a couple of weekends ago, but nobody would go with me. Would you and Lulu move down here to be my groovy friends?

LANDRU: So happy to see you again! And, yes, it's one helluva awesome song, isn't it? Makes me very happy every time I hear it.

CHRIS: Good list, sir.

DALE: Sometimes I go four-letter, Dale.

 
At 4/17/2007 09:36:00 PM, Blogger Cup said...

DALE and TANYA: Okay, you two; go at it!

 
At 4/17/2007 10:48:00 PM, Blogger Tenacious S said...

I don't think I could ever live in the South again, but I do miss it and would love to visit Atlanta.

 
At 4/17/2007 11:46:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh crap! I could cry! I just spent over an hour writing the most brilliant post and somehow lost it and stoopid LiveJournal only remembers the first line of it.

I'll have to try again tomorrow.

 
At 4/17/2007 11:53:00 PM, Blogger Johnny Yen said...

"Okay, so I Write About Music all the Damn Time"

You say that like it's a bad thing!

There are a handful of songs that I never, ever get tired of hearing. Radio Free Europe is one of them. So is Gardening At Night.

Amy Winehouse keeps coming up in conversations lately. I think I need to check her out.

 
At 4/18/2007 12:06:00 AM, Blogger Coaster Punchman said...

Done. And I tagged Chris, not remembering you had tagged him. I guess that means he's been team tagged.

 
At 4/18/2007 04:03:00 PM, Blogger Tumuli said...

I love every artist/group on your list. Regina's particular phrasing has grown on me in recent months...

 
At 4/18/2007 04:54:00 PM, Blogger Moderator said...

I ordered Amy Winehouse from my library and I'm picking it up tonight.

 
At 4/18/2007 06:48:00 PM, Blogger Cup said...

TEN S: Come down any time! Bring Lulu, and we'll have one helluva girls weekend.

GLASSMEOW: I learned my lesson after losing a post or two: Write it in Microsoft Word, then copy/paste into Blogger.

JOHNNY YEN: I love dancing to "Gardening at Night." Send me your e-mail address and I'll send you Amy's "Rehab" MP3.

COASTER PUNCHMAN: We should tag-team more often.

TUMULI: I really like the way Regina plays with a song. Very interesting phrasing and voice. We rock.

GRANT MILLER: You should love it.

 
At 4/18/2007 08:34:00 PM, Blogger lulu said...

I forgot to mention how much I love Radio Free Europe. It's like I'm 18 again every time I listen to it, and yes, we would have a hell of a girls' weekend in Atlanta with you, although you know, planes do fly both ways, and I know both Bub's and Johnny Yen's (and one of the two respective Misses) so if you came up here we could have a big party.

 
At 4/18/2007 08:43:00 PM, Blogger Cup said...

I'm one step ahead of you, Lulu. I've been looking at a couple of conferences in Chicago, so I may be up your way as early as July.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home


View My Stats