05 September 2007

One Isn’t the Loneliest Number After All

Another Great Green Monkey Music Project

The Splotch, who seems to be as obsessed about music as I am, is back with the Green Monkey Music Project — volumes four and five in this increasingly popular series. I was lucky to be tapped for my list of eight for Volume Four. The theme and rules this round was tough; Splotchy is a one damn task-mastering bitch when it comes to these themes. And I love him for that.
Green Monkey Music Project #4: What's in a Word? All songs must have a title consisting of only one word. The word can't be a proper noun (a person's name, a place — if it has a capital letter, it's a no-no).

Well, I thought this would be tough — but I had twentysomething songs in the folder within five minutes. The tough part was whittling it down to eight. I cut some great tunes — by Young Marble Giants and Young Fresh Fellows, Liz Phair and Aretha Franklin, The Replacements (sorry, Haahnster) and The Ramones, Oasis and Zevon, even Automatic Baby (half R.E.M./half U2) singing “One” — but I think I have a strong eight in my hand (as is the Cup's wont, alphabetized for fairness):

The B-52's: Topaz

David Bowie: Fashion

The Clash: Clampdown

Magnapop: Garden

R.E.M.: Stumble

Sonic Youth: Incinerate

Squeeze: Tempted

Johnny Thunders: MIA


Why are you still here? Click over to check out Green Monkey Music Project #4 to check out what the other kids submitted. That’s where I’m headed; there are some excellent songs to download. And tell Splotchy I said hello.

* * * * * *

Labels: , , , ,

17 Comments:

At 9/05/2007 09:24:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Heroes, by Bowie

 
At 9/05/2007 10:08:00 PM, Blogger Dale said...

I used to be afraid of the projects but Splotchy's make me feel safe.

 
At 9/05/2007 11:37:00 PM, Blogger Barbara Bruederlin said...

That sounds like such a fun monkey project to do. Next time I am going to be around to weasel my way back in.

Going to check out the rest! BRB

 
At 9/06/2007 01:22:00 AM, Blogger Jenny Jenny Flannery said...

An excellent list. No one more qualified.

Doc

 
At 9/06/2007 01:40:00 AM, Blogger BeckEye said...

I already bitched about your Squeeze pick over at Splotchy's, but in case you didn't see it, I'll bring it to you...

But...*gasp*...BETH! You know "Tempted" is mostly sung by that other dude. And you wonder why I ended up with Glenn instead of you. Sheesh.

 
At 9/06/2007 02:03:00 AM, Blogger Karen said...

The list only requires one word to describe it:

Balling.

 
At 9/06/2007 05:48:00 AM, Blogger Miss Frou Frou said...

Oh.. I love Tempted... bought the album on the basis of that one song!

 
At 9/06/2007 07:09:00 AM, Blogger DaBich said...

Bowie! AHhhh I love that guy!

 
At 9/06/2007 10:17:00 AM, Blogger Splotchy said...

I love "Stumble". I'm more used to hearing R.E.M.'s songs as a whole, but in this one I really notice the individual instruments.

I love the drums, including the lurching drum rolls (I think Stipe might have done them?), love the guitar right before the "Fall on the chin(?)" part, and love the bass part over the whole song. Oh, and love "Teeth" at the beginning, too.

Thanks for playing, and I'm sorry I stole "Roam" (in case you were planning on using it)!

This was an interesting mix, in that a couple artists showed up more than once.

 
At 9/06/2007 01:20:00 PM, Blogger paperback reader said...

Squeeze over the Mats or Liz Phair? I just don't get it. Are Squeeze one of those bands like KISS or Alice Cooper, who only made sense at their exact moment in time? Because I don't get any of those groups.

I will, however, tip my cap to the Clash (though now I've strangely got "The Right Profile" in my head, because Joe drunkenly singing "It's Montgomery Clift! And everybody says, 'What's he liiiiiikke?'" is awesome) and yay for someone else in the damn world liking Magnapop. They were so much better than the world gave them credit for.

 
At 9/06/2007 01:41:00 PM, Blogger paperback reader said...

Curse you! I spent a good five minutes thinking it over and I submit:

Jawbreaker - Indictment
Pixies - Debaser
Lifetime - Ostrichized
Bad Religion - You
Replacements - Skyway
Lemonheads - Paint
Billy Bragg - Brickbat
Descendents - Cheer

And apologies to Lucero, Built to Spill, Hot Water Music, the Smiths, and Gorilla Biscuits.

 
At 9/06/2007 02:47:00 PM, Blogger SkylersDad said...

I'm going to go old school on you - 'cause I'm old...

Longer - Dan Fogelberg
Reminising - Little River Band
Gold - John Stewart
Miracles - Jefferson Starship
Jazzman - Carole King
Daniel - Elton John
If - Bread
Sundown - Gordon Lightfoot
Lowdown - Boz Scaggs
Still - The Commodores

 
At 9/06/2007 07:15:00 PM, Blogger thirdworstpoetinthegalaxy said...

Was "Wonderwall" one word or two. Cause if it's one, it's an amazing song... and I'm wondering if it's the one you cut.

 
At 9/06/2007 07:30:00 PM, Blogger Mountjoy said...

I am so with GT on "Heroes" - my fave Bowie song.

Yesterday - The Beatles
Tusk - Fleetwood Mac
Seeds - Bruce Springsteen
Tragedy - The Bee Gees
Why - Annie Lennox
Linger - The Cranberries
Crossroads - Eric Clapton
Hurricane - Bob Dylan
Killer - George Michael

 
At 9/06/2007 09:48:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

My list would have to have

Unsatisfied - The Replacements
Imagination - Belouis Some
Traffic - Lloyd Cole
Windpower - Thomas Dolby
Oblivious - Aztec Camera
Tenderness - General Public
Start! - The Jam
Jealousy - Natalie Merchant
Words - Ellis Paul

And I'd recycle your choices of "Tempted" and "One" which are on my iPod.

 
At 9/07/2007 06:23:00 PM, Blogger Moderator said...

I love, LOVE, Sonic Youth. But I thought they'd kind of lost their way in recent years. "Incinerate" made me realize they're still absolute masters at what they do.

 
At 9/07/2007 06:51:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

How could I have forgotten?
"Amplifier" - the dB's

 

Post a Comment

<< Home


View My Stats