13 November 2007

Saving the Best for First

Part One of My Annual San Francisco Travelogue

Last week’s trip to San Francisco was wonderful. Of course it was. I was, after all, in my favorite U.S. city. I know the city pretty well, having been there seven or eight times and having read Maupin’s entire Tales of the City series. I discovered new spots and revisited favorite haunts. But I’ll tell you about those adventures later in the week. Let’s get to the good stuff first.

I cocktailed with Write Procrastinator.

Write Procrastinator posted a great retelling of our blogger summit. He’s a writer. He’s good at that. And he didn’t procrastinate over writing his post as I did.

The Grand Gentleman of The City knows me well, or at the very least has read my blog profile. He picked the perfect spot for a noir fan like me — former hangout of Dashiell Hammett, Sam Spade’s joint of choice in The Maltese Falcon. Sadly, said falcon was swiped last February.

John’s Grill

The dirty martinis were good, the appetizers okay, the service surly. Isn’t that what we want in a nearly hundred-year-old haunt?

Let’s dish about WP. That’s why we’re all reading this post, right?

First of all, he’s just damn cute. The only reason WP doesn’t get the full-on hawt rating is he’s a happily married man, and I don’t want Mrs. WP getting the wrong idea. He looks younger than he is (damn him).

WP, we forgot to compare eye freckles! A strong reason for me to book a return trip in 2008.

WP’s mama raised him right. The boy oozes manners and class. He knows how to open a door, how to hold a chair for a lass, how to make meet-up arrangements for hard-to-contact travelers. I was charmed before we even got to the talktalktalk.

And talktalktalk we did. We didn’t start off trying to think of something to say; we dove right in. I was so excited about finally meeting my blog buddy — someone with whom I’ve e-mailed since last summer — I probably jumped on 312 of his sentences. He told me all about growing up and living in The City. We talked books and bloggers, movies and music, lives and loves. It's always fascinating to talk to a writer since he knows how to use words.

The obligatory back o’ the bloggers’ head photo


The only downer: We had just a couple of hours. Had I blown off some work hours pre-vacation and planned my trip, we could have spent more time together. Met families. Seen sites.

Now, if I could only get the WP clan to visit Atlanta ...

* * * * * *

Labels: , , , , , ,

23 Comments:

At 11/13/2007 06:56:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

And we were having another gathering of the bloggerati in Toronto. And you were mentioned for the next one.

 
At 11/13/2007 07:56:00 AM, Blogger DaBich said...

It's grand to meet on line buddies. I met up with 5 of them in 2000 and MAN we had a blast. Glad you enjoyed =D

 
At 11/13/2007 08:08:00 AM, Blogger Barbara Bruederlin said...

I love it when I hear about bloggy meets that are so wonderful and mutually satisfying! Isn't it great how we always manage to get those back of the heads shots in there?

I can't wait to hear about the rest of your trip.

 
At 11/13/2007 09:46:00 AM, Blogger Some Guy said...

Glad you two had a good time! I always encourage meeting other bloggers. It's always been fun for me.

 
At 11/13/2007 11:34:00 AM, Blogger paperback reader said...

That sounds way classier than any time I've ever met people. Well played.

 
At 11/13/2007 12:09:00 PM, Blogger SkylersDad said...

Glad you had a good time! Someday after I cut off my ankle monitor, I hope to get out and meet people...

 
At 11/13/2007 12:25:00 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

"When Bloggers Meet" ... a terrifying new film ... that just missed Holloween. Can you heart take it?

I wish I could have organized meeting you at the Hitchcock show in Baltimore last year. Just bad timing.

Hope you are well.

 
At 11/13/2007 01:02:00 PM, Blogger Chancelucky said...

Sorry you missed the Falcon. Imagine that though, bloggers in California. Who would have thunk it?

 
At 11/13/2007 02:34:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Beth I've tagged you for the random weirdness meme. Are you in?

 
At 11/13/2007 03:37:00 PM, Blogger BeckEye said...

WP pulled out my chair for me when we met too. Then he laughed when my ass hit the floor.

I keed, I keed.

 
At 11/13/2007 04:36:00 PM, Blogger Splotchy said...

Woo woo! Dueling Calfornia remembrances! I hope I don't have to cut mine short under mysterious circumstances :)!

I actually went to John's Grill on my first trip to San Fran, but was too stupid to figure out the connection to the movie.

 
At 11/13/2007 08:49:00 PM, Blogger Dale said...

Now I'm almost convinced you both exist!

 
At 11/13/2007 10:13:00 PM, Blogger chelene said...

Having met WP, I can vouch for his awesomeness. So, San Francisco...let me guess it was really, really cold? And then somewhat warm? And then cold again? :)

 
At 11/13/2007 11:37:00 PM, Blogger thirdworstpoetinthegalaxy said...

He sounds lovely. And I dig the headshot.

 
At 11/13/2007 11:45:00 PM, Blogger Coaster Punchman said...

Chelene took the words out of my mouth. Plus Dale is pissed that we're all doing the back-o-the-head blogger group photos.

 
At 11/14/2007 03:33:00 PM, Blogger anandamide said...

now i'm double bummed i missed you in GA....

 
At 11/14/2007 05:50:00 PM, Blogger Cup said...

GIFTED TYPIST: I would have loved to be at that table with you three! I'm going to try to hit Toronto sometime in '08, so keep a chair ready.

DABICH: Isn't it fun? I wish I could do a Grand Blogger Tour next summer ...

BARBARA: As you know, I love the back o' the head shot. Keeps the mystique alive.

CHRIS: Still sorry I couldn't meet up with you last year ... but that trip turned out fab for you, didn't it?

 
At 11/14/2007 05:53:00 PM, Blogger Cup said...

PISTOLS AT DAWN: I bet I could pull some class out of you.

SKYLER: Would love to meet up!


LANDRU: My heart handled it. I wish you'd made it to the Hitchcock show, too. We chatted him up — and Peter Buck and Scott McCaughey — after the show. I could have made your November.

CHANCELUCKY: If only I could have made arrangements to meet up with you, too!

 
At 11/14/2007 05:54:00 PM, Blogger Cup said...

GIFTED TYPIST: Would love to play! It will probably be this weekend, though ...

BECKEYE: WP told me about that. We laughed and laughed and laughed ...


SPLOTCHY: See, your core is just too damn cool. It knows where you need to go.

DALE: Oh, we exist, Bee Boy. WP and I spread sunshine across this great continent of ours.

 
At 11/14/2007 05:57:00 PM, Blogger Cup said...

CHELENE: Yep, yep, and yep. And WP is awesomeness. Such a doll.

THIRD WORST POET: He is lovely. Charming. Smart. Brilliant with words. And such a gentleman.

COASTER PUNCHMAN: I started with the back o' the head shots more than a year ago, so tell him to relax. I hope you're my next back o' the head boy.

ANANDAMIDE: You should be. You would have had a fab time, dude.

 
At 11/14/2007 10:45:00 PM, Blogger Artful Dodger said...

I've yet to be to SF. But that will be remedied soon, when MTG and I go in January and drive up the Pacific Coast Highway for a week. Maybe we can try this surly place you went to. ^_^

 
At 11/15/2007 07:05:00 AM, Blogger Writeprocrastinator said...

"I probably jumped on 312 of his sentences."

And you finished a bunch of them! I had a swell time and am extremely jealous, since it seems from the pictures in the next post, that you know how to have a better time in my own town, than I do.

 
At 11/15/2007 11:36:00 PM, Blogger Katie Schwartz said...

my two favey bloggers. great reviews from both of you. I'm so happy ya's met.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home


View My Stats