04 January 2009

16 Things You Don’t Know About Me

My favorite never-seen gal pal Katie tagged me with this on Facebook. I’m double-dipping, publishing this here and on Facebook. Maybe this will start a trend: blog posts at Cup of Coffey! I’ve listed a lot of things you once didn’t know about me throughout the blog years, so you may recognize a couple of these; just act surprised.

1. R.E.M. is my favorite band in the whole wide world.

2. I have a scar along the edge of my chin. Having the scar isn’t weird, although I have no idea how I got it. What’s weird is, until I was in junior high, I thought it was the seam for my skin … as if The Good Lord knitted my flesh Himself.

3. I cannot sit through a scary movie, except for vampire flicks. Dying to see Let the Right One In at the Plaza Theatre this week.

4. Shows like “The Bachelor” make me angry. Competing for a man? Puh-lease. If the Mormons are so concerned about the sanctity of marriage, why aren’t they going after that crap?

5. I have arthritis in my right big toe. The aches come and go, but it’s cool to crack the toe knuckle.

6. I could not say “goddammit” — not even sing it in a song (always replaced with “hot damn”) — until I started working at an ad agency in 1984. Those two years ruined my wholesome vernacular. Now, when this graceless creature drops something or bumps into something (a regular feature in my day-to-day life), it’s always “Oh, goddammit!”

7. I bite my nails. I occasionally quit, but I’ve been in mega-gnaw mode since August.

8. I haven’t been to a concert in six months. No wonder I can’t stop gnawing my nails.

9. One of my favorite songs ever is Wham’s “Everything She Wants.” Still treasure the 45. I throw my arms wide and belt it out every time I hear it, whether I’m in the car or in a store. Used to embarrass the hell out of the Beloved Ex.

10. I can go for a year without a date, but I get very depressed if I go more than two weeks without a flirt object.

11. I’ve never been married, and I don’t ever see myself getting married. I have, however, fallen madly in love more times than I have fingers. Who needs a ring when you’ve enjoyed so many fingers?

12. Jimmy Carter and his family went to our church when he was governor. One morning between Sunday school and church, I was drinking at the water fountain outside the sanctuary, and kept hearing my mom apologize to someone. When my thirst was quenched, I found that my little black patents had been stomping the hell out of the tips of Jimmy’s wingtips. Much to my great disappointment, the future president’s bodyguards didn’t wrestle me to the ground; I guess my twelve-year-old self wasn’t very threatening.

13. I kissed Warren Zevon.

14. I also kissed Rufus Wainwright. But only on the cheek.

15. I’ve been in the hospital just once, for a staph infection in my sinuses at the end of my freshman year in college. Never been through an operation, and I still have my appendix and tonsils.

16. 16 was my favorite number when I was a tweenie. Why? Because it represented being a full-fledged teenager. And 16 Magazine was my fave.


I'm not going to tag anyone on the blog. If you want to play along, type up sixteen things we should know about you.

And if you're on Facebook, friend me.

* * * * * *

Labels: , , , , ,

23 Comments:

At 1/04/2009 11:54:00 PM, Blogger Jenny Jenny Flannery said...

What?!? You're an REM fan?!? That one's a shocker...

 
At 1/05/2009 12:44:00 AM, Blogger Joe said...

Flannery beat me to the REM joke. Oh well.

That Carter story is cool, but maybe not as cool as the Warren Zevon story.

 
At 1/05/2009 01:12:00 AM, Blogger WendyB said...

I have a scar on my nose...are you telling me that God didn't knit me?!?

 
At 1/05/2009 09:14:00 AM, Blogger SkylersDad said...

It's good to throw your arms open wide and sing loud, better and less expensive than therapy!

 
At 1/05/2009 11:54:00 AM, Blogger dguzman said...

I think almost everyone has a chin scar. Got mine by tripping over a paint can as I was running around the house three times as fast as I could, all to get a dollar from my brother.

 
At 1/05/2009 02:48:00 PM, Blogger Moderator said...

I met Jimmy Carter once. The degrees of separation between you and I are like nil now!

 
At 1/05/2009 02:55:00 PM, Blogger Cup said...

FLANNERY ALDEN: I’ve kept that secret for years, girl.

BUBS: The Zevon story is cool AND geeky. Maybe I’ll post it on his birthday later this month.

WENDYB: Between you and me, I think He knitted us. That’s why we’re fabulous.

SKYLER’S DAD: Absolutely! Does this soul a helluva lot of good.

DGUZMAN: Was it worth the dollar? Scars add character, I think.

GRANT MILLER: I’m going to start a new blog — Me and Grant Miller — where I recount the amazing similarities of our lives.

 
At 1/05/2009 07:53:00 PM, Blogger Gifted Typist said...

OK so if you only kissed Rufus on the cheek, then where exactly did you kiss the divine Mr. Z.

 
At 1/05/2009 11:07:00 PM, Blogger Barbara Bruederlin said...

I have a chin scar too. Mine's from fainting while watching open heart surgery. Hey, it was hot in the surgery!

We should start a chin scar club.

 
At 1/06/2009 08:57:00 AM, Blogger katrocket said...

AMEN to your comments about The Batchelor. I hate all those stupid instant marriage game shows, too. Also, I was a 16 Magazine subscriber. It was the dreamiest!

 
At 1/06/2009 09:14:00 PM, Blogger Gifted Typist said...

you didn't tag me, but I did it anyway. you inspired me. But I didn't kiss Warren :|

 
At 1/06/2009 11:06:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

uhm, tag! :)
http://eskimobliss.com/2009/01/06/tagged/

 
At 1/07/2009 03:15:00 AM, Blogger Erik Donald France said...

Excellent!

Not on Facebook (way too many ex-students, it'd be exhausting) but consider this a "friending" ;->

 
At 1/07/2009 04:32:00 PM, Blogger Christine said...

My fav number is 19 for a similar reason. It was the best year of my life up to that point and I've kept it as a lucky number ever since. Has often disappointed me at the roulette wheel, however. :-)

 
At 1/08/2009 10:40:00 AM, Blogger BeckEye said...

Well, #1 shocked the shit out of me.

I'm the same way about not saying G-D, but for some reason I can fire off "Jesus Christ" every 5 seconds.

Wham! is love.

Ha ha...my word ver is "prowd." I so prowd of you, Coffey.

 
At 1/08/2009 03:34:00 PM, Blogger lisahgolden said...

That's some heavy hitter kissing. Well done.

 
At 1/10/2009 07:18:00 AM, Blogger Dale said...

#11 is brilliant, at least I finger it is. Hilarious!

 
At 1/11/2009 12:10:00 PM, Blogger Katie Schwartz said...

A FAAABULOUS 16... Thanks for playing, my sweet.

#2, The seam for your skin, I can relate to that.
#4 The idea that women want to compete via challenges in a public forum for a man makes me crazy
#6 Thrilled you've joined the Goddammit wagon, good girl.
#11 So beautifully said, I can't stand it. Bethy, you are so funny and clever.
#13, you kissed warren zevon? I love his music because of you.

OMG. OMG. OMG. The word verification for this post is.... drumroll please... MENSES

 
At 1/12/2009 12:39:00 AM, Blogger Mat Garretson said...

Beth! Remind me next time we meet to tell you about the night Michael Stipe bought me dinner. Amazing night, to be sure...

...and, no, I didn't have to put out for it.

 
At 1/14/2009 09:15:00 AM, Blogger Scott said...

I am still a proud owner of the Everything She Wants 45 record.

I'll find you on Facebook!

 
At 4/13/2009 07:54:00 PM, Blogger ziggystardust73 said...

um, you kissed Rufus Wainwright?!

jealous in Australia.

 
At 9/01/2009 11:44:00 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

保冷包 , 保冷包 , 保冷包 , 保冷包 , 保冷包 , 保冷包 , 吸水墊 , 吸水墊 , 吸水墊 , 吸水墊 , 吸水墊 , 吸水墊 , 吸水墊 , 吸水墊 , 吸水墊 , 吸水墊 , 吸水墊 , 吸水墊 , 吸水墊 , 保溫袋 , 保溫袋 , 保溫袋 , 保溫袋 , 保溫袋 , 保溫袋 , 保溫袋 , 保溫袋 , 保溫袋 , 保溫袋 , 保溫袋 , 保溫袋 , 保溫袋 , 室內設計 , 舊屋翻新

 
At 9/01/2009 11:56:00 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

室內設計,舊屋翻新,室內設計,舊屋翻新,室內設計,舊屋翻新,室內設計,舊屋翻新,室內設計,舊屋翻新,室內設計,舊屋翻新,徵信,





徵信公司 , 徵信公司 , 徵信公司 , 徵信公司 , 徵信公司 , 徵信公司 , 徵信公司 , 徵信公司 , 徵信公司 , 徵信公司 , 徵信公司 , 徵信公司 , 徵信公司 , 徵信公司 , 徵信公司 , 徵信公司 , 徵信公司 , 徵信公司 , 徵信公司 , 徵信公司 , 徵信公司 , 徵信公司 , 徵信公司 , 徵信公司 , 徵信公司 , 婚姻 , <婚姻 , 婚姻 , 婚姻 , 婚姻 , 婚姻 , 婚姻 , 婚姻 , 婚姻 , 婚姻 , 婚姻 , 婚姻 , 婚姻 , 婚姻 , 婚姻 , 婚姻 , 婚姻 , 婚姻 , 婚姻 , 婚姻 , 婚姻 , 婚姻 , 婚姻 , 婚姻 , 婚姻 , 婚姻 , 婚姻 , 婚姻 , 婚姻 , 婚姻 , 婚姻

 

Post a Comment

<< Home


View My Stats