16 Things You Don’t Know About Me
My favorite never-seen gal pal Katie tagged me with this on Facebook. I’m double-dipping, publishing this here and on Facebook. Maybe this will start a trend: blog posts at Cup of Coffey! I’ve listed a lot of things you once didn’t know about me throughout the blog years, so you may recognize a couple of these; just act surprised.
1. R.E.M. is my favorite band in the whole wide world.
2. I have a scar along the edge of my chin. Having the scar isn’t weird, although I have no idea how I got it. What’s weird is, until I was in junior high, I thought it was the seam for my skin … as if The Good Lord knitted my flesh Himself.
3. I cannot sit through a scary movie, except for vampire flicks. Dying to see Let the Right One In at the Plaza Theatre this week.
4. Shows like “The Bachelor” make me angry. Competing for a man? Puh-lease. If the Mormons are so concerned about the sanctity of marriage, why aren’t they going after that crap?
5. I have arthritis in my right big toe. The aches come and go, but it’s cool to crack the toe knuckle.
6. I could not say “goddammit” — not even sing it in a song (always replaced with “hot damn”) — until I started working at an ad agency in 1984. Those two years ruined my wholesome vernacular. Now, when this graceless creature drops something or bumps into something (a regular feature in my day-to-day life), it’s always “Oh, goddammit!”
7. I bite my nails. I occasionally quit, but I’ve been in mega-gnaw mode since August.
8. I haven’t been to a concert in six months. No wonder I can’t stop gnawing my nails.
9. One of my favorite songs ever is Wham’s “Everything She Wants.” Still treasure the 45. I throw my arms wide and belt it out every time I hear it, whether I’m in the car or in a store. Used to embarrass the hell out of the Beloved Ex.
10. I can go for a year without a date, but I get very depressed if I go more than two weeks without a flirt object.
11. I’ve never been married, and I don’t ever see myself getting married. I have, however, fallen madly in love more times than I have fingers. Who needs a ring when you’ve enjoyed so many fingers?
12. Jimmy Carter and his family went to our church when he was governor. One morning between Sunday school and church, I was drinking at the water fountain outside the sanctuary, and kept hearing my mom apologize to someone. When my thirst was quenched, I found that my little black patents had been stomping the hell out of the tips of Jimmy’s wingtips. Much to my great disappointment, the future president’s bodyguards didn’t wrestle me to the ground; I guess my twelve-year-old self wasn’t very threatening.
13. I kissed Warren Zevon.
14. I also kissed Rufus Wainwright. But only on the cheek.
15. I’ve been in the hospital just once, for a staph infection in my sinuses at the end of my freshman year in college. Never been through an operation, and I still have my appendix and tonsils.
16. 16 was my favorite number when I was a tweenie. Why? Because it represented being a full-fledged teenager. And 16 Magazine was my fave.
I'm not going to tag anyone on the blog. If you want to play along, type up sixteen things we should know about you.
And if you're on Facebook, friend me.
* * * * * *