22 March 2006

I love my Starbucks

I admit it: I’m addicted to my triple grande nonfat latte. It’s as important a morning ritual as taking a long shower or picking out the right pair of earrings. A workday unfueled by my latte is foggy, gray, uninspired, bland. The creative side of my brain doesn’t fully function if my left hand isn’t in the cup-grip mode from 8:30 until 11:30.

I love everything about the Starbucks part of my morning. The smell of brewing espresso as I open the door. The way the cup warms my hand. That first sip of latte. But there's more to this morning ritual than a jolt of espresso.

My Starbucks is my Floyd’s Barber Shop. They know me, they know my drink. I know it’s a chain, but the casual, friendly atmosphere has almost the same feel as Javamonkey did during my Decatur days (just not quite as funky). My Starbucks run is about more than grabbing a cup o’ joe. It's also about the connection. Marlene or Luke start brewing my latte as soon as they see me walk through the door. Cup in hand, we chat about our lives for a few minutes — Marlene’s steamy new romance … the escapades of Susan’s little boy … what Luke’s up to in school or on the golf course … my heavy workload or heavier social calendar. We talk art exhibits and arts festivals, can’t-miss movies and must-read books, cocktailed evenings and muggy mornings. At my Starbucks, I start my mornings connecting with my neighbors.

In fact, that connection factored in my decision to possibly buy my townhouse. I’ve always been an ITP* girl because I love the neighborly feel of intown areas (and I’ve lived in nearly all of them). The suburbs bored me: strip malls, traffic, assimilation, invisibility. Thanks to my Starbucks, I now know that Peachtree Corners can also be funky, friendly and my home.

*For you non-Atlantans, ITP is our local abbreviation for "inside the perimeter," or our intown section of town.

* * * * * *

Labels: , , ,

13 Comments:

At 3/22/2006 10:04:00 AM, Blogger Cup said...

Thanks, guerrilla blogger! Toast me on Saturday.

 
At 3/22/2006 11:47:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Why don't you define ITP for some of your non-ATL readers? ;)

 
At 3/22/2006 12:21:00 PM, Blogger Cup said...

Done, Mr. Editor.

 
At 3/22/2006 05:19:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am glad you like Peachtree Corners and have decided to buy the townhouse. One other advantage is you will be less likely to end up "drt" in Peachtree Corners VS "ITP".

 
At 3/22/2006 06:00:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is all Greek to me.

 
At 3/22/2006 06:40:00 PM, Blogger Cup said...

I believe Mr. Ch is hinting that, by living intown, I might end up as dirt because of the high crime. He lives in the exburbs and forgets that I've lived a crime-free life. He's afraid of cityfolk ... except for me. And he makes one damn good martini.

 
At 3/22/2006 06:52:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm afraid of everybody. City, suburbs, it don't matter none to me.

 
At 3/22/2006 07:31:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Close, but not exactly correct. City folks are fine, I just don't like all the traffic. Yes the crime rate is higher and I was using street lingo. Much like "DUI" stands for driving under the influence after too many martini's, "drt" stands for "dead right there".

 
At 3/22/2006 07:49:00 PM, Blogger Cup said...

Well, ain't Mr. C one street mofo! I'm darn impressed. Now, where's that martini ...

 
At 3/22/2006 07:56:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Did you just call me a mofo? Anyway, the martini's are like Delta airlines. They are ready when you are. I'll even buy you one for your birthday.

 
At 3/22/2006 07:58:00 PM, Blogger Cup said...

I meant "mofo" only in the most respectful, loving way ... as in you're just damn cool. And I'll hold you to that martini. Saturday night?

 
At 3/22/2006 08:01:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love it when you say I am cool and yes I will see ya Saturday.

 
At 3/22/2006 08:03:00 PM, Blogger Cup said...

I just figured out what RCOFCHS stands for! You're so green and white ...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home


View My Stats