23 March 2006

It takes a long time to grow an old friend

I received my first birthday cards yesterday. One was from Janice, who was my best friend in high school. We were inseparable from the first week of our freshman year through the graduation-night parties. After high school, we took different paths and drifted apart. We sort of kept in touch throughout our twenties, but I was living the single life and she was raising a family. By the time we hit our thirties, we were down to the occasional Christmas card. We got smart in our forties and reconnected, keeping in touch by e-mail and meeting for lunch at least once a year (we live about 70 miles apart, and she has a busy life with a wonderful husband and three boys, so it’s hard to get together regularly).

Janice made this beautiful card, with the title of this post on the front and some friendly teasing. Her handwritten note was even more meaningful, and it’s one I’ll keep for a long time because the sentiments are about real friendship.

The card got my birthday-reflective self thinking about friendship. My friends play a major role in my life. I’m lucky to have a group of cool, smart, wonderful friends. They’re flung far and wide, but distance hasn’t ended the friendships. We can pick up the phone or zip off an e-mail as if we spoke yesterday. That defines a great friendship; the real ones don’t fade over time. I love each of you dearly, and hope you know how you’ve enriched my life. As I say each birthday, this year I plan to make more time for you ... but don't get discouraged if I drop that ball. I promise to try (don't despair, Greg!).

So, the birthday celebration has begun. Well, actually, there is no celebrating going on right now — just long hours in the office. But my soul is dancing and partying.

* * * * * *

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

At 3/23/2006 01:49:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Scan the card. Post that baby!

 
At 3/24/2006 09:52:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You made me cry!

 
At 3/24/2006 09:56:00 AM, Blogger Cup said...

So did your card. Thank you very much. I guess I am old now; a heartfelt card means more than prezzies!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home


View My Stats