11 June 2006

This Weekend's Mix Tape

So, I’m single again. And this time it’s the last time for that one. I’m sad and lonely and heartbroken and scared and a little lost — but the inner circle closed ranks and got me through the heartache weekend. Damn, I’m lucky to have such a great group of friends, even though they're a far-flung group.

However, I must wallow for another day or two; we so rarely get a good excuse to swoon and soak up the self-pity. To keep that drama alive, what does every blubbery breakup need to thrive? Why, the heartbreak mix tape, of course.

Here’s what I’ve been listening and singing and crying to this weekend:

  • Bonnie Raitt: Cry Like a Rainstorm (gets the most play and singalongs)
  • Beck: Lost Cause
  • Nanci Griffith: Morning Song for Sally
  • Warren Zevon: Accidentally Like a Martyr
  • Joan Armatrading: The Weakness in Me
  • Sheryl Crow: My Favorite Mistake
  • The Beatles: You’ve Got to Hide Your Love Away
  • R.E.M.: Near Wild Heaven
  • Neil Young: Philadelphia (because I cry every damn time I hear it)
  • Jeff Buckley: Last Goodbye
  • Sinéad O'Connor: Nothing Compares 2 U
  • George Jones: He Stopped Loving Her Today
  • Lucinda Williams: Abandoned
  • Gregg Allman: These Days
  • Angie Stone: Wish I Didn’t Miss You
  • Tower of Power: So Very Hard to Go
  • k.d. lang: So in Love
  • Badly Drawn Boy: A Minor Incident
  • The Fifth Dimension: One Less Bell to Answer (he loves The Fifth Dimension)
  • Guy Clark: Dublin Blues
  • Gram Parson: Cry One More Time
  • Lyle Lovett: Nobody Knows Me
  • Richard Buckner: Ariel Ramirez
  • Shelby Lynne: Leavin’
  • Kelis: Caught out There (yeah, I’m a little pissed, too)
  • Nick Drake: Time of No Reply
  • Harold Melvin & The Bluenotes: The Love I Lost
  • Andy Williams: Can’t Get Used to Losing You (as well as English Beat's and Chad & Jeremy's versions)
  • Reba McEntire: You Lie
  • The Carpenters: Superstar
  • Joss Stone: The Chokin' Kind
  • James Taylor: Don’t Let Me Be Lonely Tonight
  • Warren Zevon: Keep Me in Your Heart
  • Rufus Wainwright: April Fools (because I must dance when it's playing … and I need that)

Did I miss any good tearjerkers? I’ll be back to R.E.M. and Sonic Youth by Wednesday, and the Beck show is Thursday — so you have a couple of days to submit your heartbreakin’ suggestions.

Labels: , , ,

14 Comments:

At 6/11/2006 06:06:00 PM, Blogger Dale said...

Love Is Everything by Jane Siberry (covered also by kd lang on her Hymns of the 49th Parallel cd).

 
At 6/11/2006 06:10:00 PM, Blogger Dale said...

And to maybe make you smirk a little, Are You Happy Now? by Richard Shindell.

 
At 6/11/2006 08:07:00 PM, Blogger Reese said...

You may not like Kelly Clarkson (I do) but she has some good tear jerkers. But, I think Jeff Buckley may take the cake.

 
At 6/11/2006 09:51:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

"Well my life isn't easy, and my love never seems to last, so I keep on carrying on, babe. I just keep movin' fast..." Bonnie's Cry Like a Rainstorm is one of the all time greatest well-fuck-here-I-am-yet-again songs.

I might also add two from the Cowboy Junkies: Sun Comes Up, It's Tuesday Morning and Lost My Driving Wheel. Margo cuts straight to the heart.

 
At 6/11/2006 11:27:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like the Angie Stone song too. Ok something to take your mind off of things. . .Pete Yorn! I saw that you will be seeing him in Atl. I am going on 8/2 when he is in Phx! I luv Petey

 
At 6/11/2006 11:35:00 PM, Blogger Cup said...

DALE: The only Jane Siberry I have is "Everything Reminds Me of My Dog," so I immediately downloaded "Love Is Everything" ... and have already wiped away a tear. And good suggestion with Shindell!

REESE: I've heard a couple of Kelly Clarksons on the radio that were pretty good, but not sure of the titles. And you're right; between Jeff Buckley's lyrics and voice and haunting guitar, you can never go wrong ... or dry-eyed.

SHY PERSON: How could I forget Cowboy Junkies?

DAYLE: I almost put Pete's "A Girl Like You" on the list. I'll send you a show review after I see him. How's the old/new hometown?

 
At 6/12/2006 12:29:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, sorry to hear about your break-up (you didn't mention it in your e-mails!). I am quite partial to some of the songs on your list though. I'm always a Buckley booster and I have a real soft spot for James Taylor.

Don't wallow in the sad stuff too long now, hear?

 
At 6/12/2006 01:06:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Surprised you didn't include Elvis' Kentucky Rain - isn't that one of your favorites? You should add Glen Campbell's By the Time I Get to Phoenix

 
At 6/12/2006 07:46:00 AM, Blogger Dale said...

Ms. Siberry can be an oddball but is enjoyable just the same.

She was in the audience when I saw kd lang on her last tour here and I wondered what it must feel like to have someone really perform the hell out of your song and bring it to a larger audience than perhaps you'd been able to.

A late edition that breaks my heart every time I hear it is What'll I Do from the cd The McGarrigle Hour.

And everything else is happy happy music, la la la la.

 
At 6/12/2006 10:12:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Okay, there's the classic Patsy Cline "Crazy"
Jackson Brown "Here Come Those Tears Again"
Linda Rondstadt "Faithless Love"
Wow music can be healing...

 
At 6/12/2006 10:37:00 AM, Blogger Cup said...

PAUL: I'll e-mail you about it later ... and the wallowing's nearly over.

PATRICK: Love "Kentucky Rain" and Glen Campbell; you know me well.

DALE: Good McGarrigle call. Wouldn't you love to spend Christmas Eve with that family and hear them all singing together?

HOLLY: All excellent choices. "Here Comes Those Tears Again" reminds me of Lindy dumping me for that slutty drill-team chick.

 
At 6/12/2006 10:31:00 PM, Blogger barista brat said...

a-ha "crying in the rain" it's actually a cover but i like their version better than the original

burt bacharach "anyone who had a heart" burt knows pain better than anyone else on the planet

scandal "good-by to you" it's fun, it's bratty, and it's impossible to not sing along to!

voice of the beehive "moon of dust" - with an opening lyric of 'finding out the truth about you was finding the moon is made of dust' how can you go wrong?

 
At 6/12/2006 10:56:00 PM, Blogger Cup said...

BARISTA BRAT: I'm so excited someone other than me remembers Voice of the Beehive!!! Burt does know pain, doesn't he?

 
At 6/14/2006 09:41:00 PM, Blogger Scrivener said...

Sorry to hear about the break-up. Hope you've continues to recover.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home


View My Stats