10 July 2006

Mark, T.C., and Me

The bookworm part of my being is dancing and twirling with excitement right now. I have two literary events this week — one that will be fun, one that will be thrilling — both at the Margaret Mitchell House, through the Center for Southern Literature.

The Fun: Tonight I’m off to hear a talk by Mark Childress, whose latest novel, One Mississippi, was released last week. (Note to self: Pick up a copy at lunch.) I’ve been to a couple of Childress readings, so I know it will be entertaining. You might be familiar with him through Crazy in Alabama (movie sucked; book was good). My favorite is Tender, about an Elvis-type character; in fact, it was reading Tender that turned me into the Elvis fan I am today (well, that coupled with my fateful Memphis trip with Simeon during the 1991 Elvis International Tribute Week).

The Thrill: Thursday it's a reception for and talk by T. Coraghessan Boyle, who’s peddling his new book, Talk Talk.

I know he goes by T.C. these days, and I know it’s not his birth name, but I love saying "Coraghessan." I’ve often fantasized about being his girlfriend, just so I could coo "Coraghessan" in his ear. So, in my world, he’s still T. Coraghessan Boyle.
Boyle has been on my top 25 authors list since I read East Is East in 1990. He’s a publishing machine these days. Didn’t I just finish The Inner Circle? (OK, that was two years ago, but it’s still sharp in my mind; I liked it that much.) And I have yet to crack the spine on Tooth and Claw. I cannot wait to see The Man and hear The Man. I imagine him to be a witty, brilliant, eccentric smart-ass — my favorite kind of man. And I think he's kind of cute.


I hope you’re jealous.

* * * * * *

Labels: , ,

20 Comments:

At 7/10/2006 04:03:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I hung out briefly with Coraghesson about eight years ago. He was really interesting-and a very intense guy, as you can imagine. At that time, he wasn't going by any wussy "TC" bullshit--he was full on Coraghesson. He may have decided to shorten it after I butchered it about 10 times. Perhaps this will be my contribution to American literature?

 
At 7/10/2006 04:06:00 AM, Blogger Cup said...

M, we really need to chat ...

And if you ruined my Coraghessan moment, no swirl for you!

 
At 7/10/2006 04:46:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

We should! But not tonight/this morning. I should go to sleep--and so should you, missy! Dream of Coraghessan swirls...(Sorrowing cashless)

 
At 7/10/2006 06:17:00 AM, Blogger Matt said...

Do tell us what color shoes he wears. I saw him a few years ago as he was touring for Drop City, and they were bright orange.

 
At 7/10/2006 09:25:00 AM, Blogger haahnster said...

Just to clarify, am I supposed to be jealous of you, Mark, TC, or the banana?

Just kidding. Happy Monday to you!!!

 
At 7/10/2006 09:35:00 AM, Blogger Cup said...

M: E-mail me.

INVISIBLE LIZARD: I seem to remember his orange shoes; I'll be sure to post a fashion report Thursday night.

HAAHNSTER: Aren't all men jealous of the banana?

 
At 7/10/2006 10:26:00 AM, Blogger haahnster said...

Well, that one is pretty big, although the curvature appears somewhat extreme. I suppose it depends on where it's been. I could see being jealous of a well-traveled banana.

 
At 7/10/2006 10:49:00 AM, Blogger Dale said...

One of my computer passwords has something to do with TC. Just saying. Cool going there Beth.

 
At 7/10/2006 02:57:00 PM, Blogger Cup said...

HAAHNSTER: And you wonder why we women always hang out in the produce department ...

DALE: One of my computer passwords is Peter Buck's middle name. I'm not as cool as you, I'm afraid. But I'll let you know what I think of Coraghessan.

 
At 7/10/2006 04:21:00 PM, Blogger Moderator said...

pre-1960 elvis ain't bad. I'm totally going to hack into all your accounts.

 
At 7/10/2006 05:35:00 PM, Blogger Cup said...

Grant, you gotta love the excess of the 1970s Elvis. The songs were wonderfully schmaltzy ... the capes were fabulous ... and I'd keep going, except I think I need to go change some passwords.

 
At 7/11/2006 09:02:00 AM, Blogger Bill said...

Is it me or does he look like Colin Farrell in that picture? So basically he is cooler than me, can write better than me, and looks like a movie star? Damn, I think even I'm starting to fall for the guy:P

 
At 7/11/2006 10:23:00 AM, Blogger Cup said...

It's hard not to crush on a cool, cute guy who can write, even if you aren't gay. Too bad T.C. doesn't work out at your gym ...

 
At 7/11/2006 10:40:00 PM, Blogger Cup said...

Maybe that's why I feel drawn to him; my hair can get that wild, too.

 
At 7/12/2006 11:19:00 AM, Blogger haahnster said...

Colin Farrell??!!? He looks more like Frank Zappa to me...

 
At 7/12/2006 12:09:00 PM, Blogger Cup said...

I think I agree with you, Haahnster. And I think Frank Zappa was much cuter than Colin Farrell is.

 
At 7/12/2006 01:46:00 PM, Blogger haahnster said...

Then that's what we in the corporate world call a "win-win"...

 
At 7/12/2006 02:07:00 PM, Blogger Cup said...

And isn't it sad that two beings such as you and I are often caught saying "win-win"?

 
At 7/12/2006 02:22:00 PM, Blogger haahnster said...

"Sad" is an understatement.

 
At 7/12/2006 03:28:00 PM, Blogger Cup said...

We need to shake it up a bit, Haahnster. Start working Neil Young and R.E.M. references in our presentations. Use buzzwords started by Prince. This could be our calling!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home


View My Stats