02 August 2006

A Star Is Born

Mike Luckovich, the Atlanta Journal-Constitution’s Pulitzer Prize-winning editorial cartoonist, is on vacation. Before he left for his much deserved r’n’r, he solicited cartoons from readers. Randy, my dear friend since junior high and an avid reader of the Cup, submitted this cartoon:


Can I just say that I like Mike Luckovich’s weekly planner? The man has his priorities straight. I need to get one of those planners.

Mr. Luckovich was also impressed with Randy’s entry.

Of the more than 200 cartoons I saw, some were very good and some of them stunk. Here are two of my favorites. The first, by Mike Phillips of Cumming, caught my eye because the artwork is so good. This person can draw. I also liked Randy [surname deleted for privacy’s sake, in case he’s headed toward fame and forture]'s offering. Even though it isn't technically a cartoon, it was funny, pointed and communicated his message clearly. Thanks to everyone for participating, and next summer when I'm on vacation, we'll do it again.

Randy's cartoon is in today’s edition, in case you want to clip it and save it in your “I knew him when” folder. I did. And I’m going to have mine autographed.

Congratulations, Randy!

Labels: , ,

8 Comments:

At 8/02/2006 03:59:00 PM, Blogger Old Lady said...

That was good!

 
At 8/02/2006 04:53:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

it's just too bad all that bashing hasn't knocked a teensy bit of sense into the guy. ah well

congrats randy! I just wish you were batting for the other team

 
At 8/02/2006 05:34:00 PM, Blogger Scrivener said...

That one's funny!

And Randy should give some credit to Luckovich for recognizing the wit of his cartoon. Imagine if a conservative cartoonist did something similar--there would never in a million years be any recognition for someone who wasn't from the same ideological position. That's why conservative cartoonists suck so much these days: they never say a bad word about conservatives, and a bunch of cartoons celebrating the wisdom of the current president, aside from being wrong, are awfully boring. I suppose the conservative cartoonists can take some comfort in the fact that they'll have some Dems to kick around soon.

 
At 8/02/2006 07:04:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Gee Scrivener, what did you have for lunch?

 
At 8/02/2006 08:13:00 PM, Blogger Cup said...

OLD LADY: It is good. I'm proud of Randy.

GREG: I don't think we'll ever get Randy in our lineup.

SCRIVENER: Let's hope.

HOLLYC: Scrivener had a nice picnic lunch with his daughters.

 
At 8/02/2006 09:47:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Old Lady: Thanks for the compliment.

Greg: Thanks for the congrats.

Scrivener:I am glad you can calm down long enough to find something funny.

You cannot spend your whole life so full of hate for people who disagree with you or people might say "you suck so much".

Beth: Thanks for the recognition and being a such good friend.

HollyC: Maybe I'm amazed...

 
At 8/02/2006 11:59:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Kudos to Mr. Luckovich for picking Randy's cartoon. Hopefully his ability to be fair & balanced in evaluating other peoples work will find its way into his own. Or maybe it was just a way for him to reveal his true agenda in print without having to sign it.

 
At 8/03/2006 06:56:00 AM, Blogger Curator said...

Ironically, this is also MY schedule.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home


View My Stats