23 April 2007

I Asked … and I Answered

I’ve been enjoying the interviews going around our little corner of the blogosphere, so I wildly waved my virtual hand when my new favorite blogger, Artful Dodger over at Rants Raves Life and Anything Else That Comes, ran his Gizmorox interview.

I enjoy Rants Raves etc., but I also love his nom de blog. I had a thing for Jack Wild after seeing him play the Artful Dodger in Oliver! I quit baton lessons because they were scheduled at the same time as H.R. Pufnstuf, and I was not going to miss my Wild fix. I could have been a majorette …

The Artful Dodger threw five good questions at me. Let’s see if I can give him — and y’all — interesting answers.


Artful Dodger: What was your favorite concert ever?

Cup: You had to start with the toughest question, didn’t you? So many great shows … but I’d have to say R.E.M.’s closing show for the Green tour (Fox Theater, November 13, 1989). The boys came out, started with “Radio Free Europe,” and performed Murmur all the way through “West of the Fields” … took a break … came back, performed Green from beginning to end … then played “Wild Thing,” “Fall on Me,” “Low,” and “Finest Worksong.” Scrivener was there, too (and one of these days, I’ll dig up that boot and make you a copy, sir). It was the last time I heard a lot of those songs played live.

First runner-up: The Warren Zevon show at Center Stage in January 1991 … because I got a backstage pass … and Warren kissed me. I need to tell that story sometime …


AD: Name your top five favorite albums of all time and why.

C: I’ve covered them in my soundtrack series (which returns in May), so here are the albums and the links to those posts (these posts are damn interesting, I must admit, so click away):

R.E.M.: Murmur: Probably my favorite album ever.

The Beatles: Sgt. Pepper’s Lonely Hearts Club Band: The album that changed my life and turned me into a music fanatic.

Rolling Stones: Let It Bleed: I think it’s the best Stones album. And who can live without a Stones album on your top-five list?

Warren Zevon: Excitable Boy: One of the best songwriters I’ve ever heard. He could tell a great, vivid story in just three or four minutes. And the weirdest sense of humor …

Ella Fitzgerald & Louis Armstrong: Ella & Louis: We grew up listening to the standards, and nobody can sing ‘em like Ella and Louis. Simply brilliant.


AD: How did you get into blogging?

C: My friend Paul and I have had one helluva entertaining e-mail conversation going since 1997. We pontificate … we bitch … we make each other laugh … and we’re damned impressed with some of the words that come out of our fingers. He started bugging me a few years ago to start a blog and share that brilliance with the world. I’d become addicted to reading blogs — first Paul’s and Jeremy’s, then any interesting blog I stumbled across. Finally, one night about a year ago, I just sat down and started A Cup of Coffey. It’s been quite an experience and a good writing exercise for me.


AD: If you could go back in time and change one thing, what would it be?

C: I’d go back to around 6 p.m. on January 10, when I backed into the brick foundation of my new abode, my first day moving. This time, I’d notice the slight curve in the drive as I backed out. Still makes me sick to look at my bashed Beetle bumper. There are a couple of more private moments I’d pick first … but I’ll keep those private.


AD: What's your favorite thing to do on a rainy day?

C: Sit out on a covered porch (or in my new home, in front of the screened door to the deck) … bottle of wine next to me … book in front of me … iPod playing behind me. Or lie on the sofa and watch back-to-back-to-back-to-back movies.


Want me to interview you?
• Leave me a comment saying, “Interview me!” If your e-mail address isn’t on your blog, e-mail me.
• I’ll send you five questions.
• You’ll answer all five questions on your blog.
• Include this explanation and an offer to interview someone else in the same post.

C'mon, kids, let me get all nosy on you.

* * * * * *

Labels: , , , , , ,

21 Comments:

At 4/24/2007 03:33:00 AM, Blogger GETkristiLOVE said...

Oh, I'm with you on the Ella and Louis thing. Brings back good memories of my childhood too.

 
At 4/24/2007 08:27:00 AM, Blogger Artful Dodger said...

Awesome answers. Very informative. Oh and big thumbs up on the top five albums.

 
At 4/24/2007 09:31:00 AM, Blogger KK said...

Interview me - I'm thinking I need a creative outlet!

 
At 4/24/2007 10:08:00 AM, Blogger Tenacious S said...

I love being on a covered porch in the rain. Totally zens me out. And please, interview me!

 
At 4/24/2007 11:22:00 AM, Blogger Coaster Punchman said...

I also saw the "Green" tour concert (Minneapolis) and I agree it was an awesome show. Green (or maybe even Document) was the dividing line between Old and New REM, and I loved that so much of the show was devoted to Old. (At least Old in 1989 dollars.)

Interview me! If I find a particular question to be too nosy, I'll just make something up.

 
At 4/24/2007 01:58:00 PM, Blogger Artful Dodger said...

oh and I forgot to tell ya. I feel your pain about backing up and hitting your car. I did the same thing too with my cement mail box. I have a lovely hole in my bumber now, which is slowly being covered up by stickers large enough to cover the hole.

 
At 4/24/2007 05:27:00 PM, Blogger Moderator said...

I saw REM play on that tour. It was a good show. If I remember correctly, they made a concert video around that time and the final song on the video was from the Fox Theater show. It was like a Velevet Underground cover or something as I remember. You would know better than I.

I need to email you the rest of that bootleg. I'm the worst efriend ever. I've also meant to ask you if you've ever heard the Pavement song about REM? It's a minor classic for anyone that likes Pavement or REM.

Oh yes, can you interview me at your convenience?

 
At 4/24/2007 10:09:00 PM, Blogger mellowlee said...

That sounds like one hell of a concert!!! Your things to do on a rainy day sound devine to me :O)

 
At 4/24/2007 10:45:00 PM, Blogger mellowlee said...

Hmm, blogger just emailed my comment to my gmail saying it is undeliverable mail! Geeeezah!

 
At 4/25/2007 03:38:00 AM, Blogger The Wandering Author said...

Okay, I'll bite. Interview me! As long as you don't mind that the post will have to wait a few days; got a few other things I need to do first.

What I'm wondering is why the Artful Dodger ever thought to include any musical questions in your interview. ;-D He must have sensed somehow that you're interested in music.

 
At 4/25/2007 05:54:00 PM, Blogger Joe said...

Wonderful...especially the part about the covered porch, rain and a bottle of wine.

 
At 4/25/2007 07:56:00 PM, Blogger Mountjoy said...

Warren Zevon... ah, sublime lyrics that never fail to raise a smile. From the quirky "draw blood!" shout in Werewolves of London, to digging up Julie's bones and building a cage in Excitable Boy... a worthy inclusion.

 
At 4/26/2007 12:56:00 PM, Blogger Cup said...

GETKRISTILOVE: The contrast between Ella's and Louis' voices is sublime ...

ARTFUL DODGER: Picking five albums was hard. I feel as if I cheated on Jeff Buckley and Wilco and so many more. But I loved the challenge of your questions!

KEITH KENNEDY: I really enjoyed your answers.

TENACIOUS S: Isn't it the best? Something about the sound of rain hitting the roof relaxes me. (Questions have been sent; can't wait to read your answers.)

 
At 4/26/2007 01:02:00 PM, Blogger Cup said...

COASTER PUNCHMAN: I turned 30 in 1989, so I guess that was my dividing line between new and old Cup. Thank gawd for arrested development. (Questions are in your inbox, sir.)

ARTFUL DODGER: I haven't considered stickering up my two-panel bash! Good idea ...

GRANT MILLER: There are some clips from that performance on Tourfilm; you get coolness points for knowing that. The Pavement song "Mysterious Power of the Picket Fence"? Love it ... but I love Pavement. Because I, too, am cool. (Your questions have been sent, too.)

 
At 4/26/2007 01:08:00 PM, Blogger Cup said...

MELLOWLEE: It was one helluva concert. Since the setlist was unexpected, I must have screamed and hollered and cried my eyes out once my beloveds started the opening notes of "Laughing" and we realized what they were doing. My only regret is we missed the opening act ... PYLON!

WANDERING AUTHOR: I know; how did he pick up my music-freakishness? (Send me an e-mail so that I have yuor address, and I'll send you five great questions.)

BUBS: We get great thunderstorms here in the ATL, so having a rain ritual is important.

MOUNTJOY: Major coolness points for you! Don't you miss Mr. Zevon?

 
At 4/26/2007 08:41:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

pick me! pick me!
wait...i don't have a blog...

 
At 4/26/2007 10:23:00 PM, Blogger justacoolcat said...

Those are all good albums, but I love the Ella Fitzgerald & Louis Armstrong: Ella & Louis. It's one of my most treasured Cd's.

 
At 4/26/2007 11:39:00 PM, Blogger Cup said...

M: I'll pick you for other things.

JUSTACOOLCAT: See, you lived up to your name. Isn't it a brilliant album? I never tire of it.

 
At 4/27/2007 01:24:00 PM, Blogger Artful Dodger said...

I forgot to tell you. If you want to interview me with your q's feel free. Interviews should work two ways too.

 
At 4/29/2007 02:25:00 AM, Blogger Writeprocrastinator said...

I knew I should've posted my request the very first day...sigh.

 
At 5/07/2007 04:08:00 PM, Blogger Fearless Leader said...

I missed this first time around. Been busy, you know. But the best Ella & Louis collaboration simply has to be their full album take on Porgy & Bess. Just amazing stuff.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home


View My Stats