08 January 2008

7 and 7 Is

The coolest couple of the blogworld — Flannery and Doc — both tagged me for the latest in blog memes: seven things you don’t know about me. I’ve posted a few of these memes, so coming up with fourteen new things you don’t know about me is a challenge — a challenge worthy of blowing off some office hours.

Flannery’s request was for a song-laden seven — and I’m more than happy to oblige. So, Flannery’s seven will be music-related, and Doc’s will be filled with deep, dark secrets.

And so, as Love sings, here is 7 and 7 Is.

Flannery’s Seven

1. The first album I ever owned was Blood, Sweat & Tears. Santa brought it to me the year our family got a hi-fi stereo. My favorite track on the album is “Variations on a Theme by Erik Satie” — but today I’m sharing one of the hits off the album, Spinning Wheel.

2. The first album I bought with my own money was the Help! soundtrack. Since it was the soundtrack, it included the various orchestral pieces played throughout the movie. Sadly, that version is not available on CD and I have yet to get my LP converted. Probably my favorite song on the album is You’ve Got to Hide Your Love Away; John’s vocals are dreamy, and you can never go wrong with a well-banged tambourine.

3. The first 8-track tape I bought proves my extreme coolness: Jefferson Starship’s Red Octopus. Oh, yeah, I was groovin’ between the ch-chungs. It took many turntable Miracles to earn my record collection cred once I hit the college campus.

4. The first concert I was a Willie Nelson show, with Waylon Jennings and Leon Russell on piano, in the early 1970s. The whole family went. It was also the first night I smelled pot. I don’t think they performed this, but I love Willie and Waylon’s cover of (Sittin' on) The Dock of the Bay.

5. I embarrassed myself in front of Eddie Money. He was in town for a show, and came to our campus radio station for an interview. Musicians are notoriously late for interviews, so I was in the cafeteria, no doubt flirting with my latest victim. Well, Eddie got to the station early — and, as PR Director, I missed out on my job of welcoming him. I dashed downstairs to the studio, where Eddie and a couple of the jocks were hanging out. I greeted him, then told him I brought in some albums (I’d just bought) that I’d like him to sign. He asked if I was going to his show, and I explained I was very hung over; he suggested some hangover cures. I yammered like a yokel and giggled out some inane, college-age crap — until I noticed the jock was glaring at me and the On Air light was lit. I handled it professionally, shrieking and dashing into the news studio. I was, as Mr. Money sings here, Shakin’ with embarrassment. He was a charmer, coming into the news studio post-interview, bowing and asking me to make it to the show. I didn’t.

6. You’d think my favorite band during my freshman year at UGA was R.E.M., but no; Michael and Peter had yet to find each other at Wuxtry. I was a typical freshman girl in 1977, swooning over Dan Fogelberg and songs like Aspen/These Days. Still sad that we recently lost him, although I haven’t listened to a Fogelberg album in eons.

7. I’ve become a digital queen in the last few years, buying fewer and fewer CDs. The last CD I bought was Rufus Does Judy at Carnegie Hall, which includes tasty aural morsels like A Foggy Day and Medley: Almost Like Being in Love/This Can't Be Love.


Doc’s Seven

1. I coordinate my reading glasses with my outfits. I have reading glasses in all the must colors: black, brown, red, lime green, turquoise, blue, rimless. Choosing that day’s reading glasses is as important a morning ritual as baubling up with the earrings, necklace, bracelet, and watch.

2. I’m very anal about my PC’s taskbar. Applications must always be opened in a particular order. For my office PC, it’s Winamp — Outlook — Yahoo e-mail — Current Projects folder — and then the application I’m using. If one crashes, I must close, then reopen all that follow so that order is restored.

3. I’m obsessed with Bridget Jones’s Diary (alternate title: The Cup’s Life on Celluloid). More than once I’ve watched back-to-back viewings on Bravo. Nothing better than a Friday night of take-out Thai and four hours of Bridget. I have the DVD, but I must always watch the broadcasts.

4. I got in trouble in kindergarten for kissing all the boys. (RCofCHS, it was your fault, I’m sure.) I also had problems learning how to tie a bow … probably because I was always trying to tie one on with all those beaux.

My graduating class at Kiddie Dude Ranch, 1965. I’m third from the right. Look at the wide berth those bitches gave me. Why wouldn’t anyone stand close to me?


5. I may have a problem with commitment. When given the choice of a five-year or ten-year driver’s license, I opted for the shorter-term license. If you knew my problem with getting licenses renewed, you’d be concerned, too. But who knows where (or who) I’ll be in ten years?

6. My left pinky is twisted from breaking the bone. I have no idea how or when I broke it; it has been that way as long as I remember. When I’m nervous, I click the broken joint back and forth. To further mar my short, stubby hands, I sport a writing bump on the inside knuckle of my right ring finger. I’ve never held a pencil properly — and thus cannot use chopsticks, either. My Japanese bosses tried teaching me in the early 1980s, but quickly gave up.

7. I’ve been a member of the R.E.M. fan club for at least twenty years. I get opps for presale tickets and a Christmas package every year, as well as a quarterly newsletter. It’s the best ten bucks I spend every year. (Did you really think you were going to get out of here without an R.E.M. triviality?)


And thus we close out another edition of Seven Things You Didn’t Know about me with Billy Bragg’s cover of 7 and 7 Is.

But not before I tag others — that’s seven and seven others:

  • All the Way from Oy to Vey’s Katie has 7’ed!

  • Bad Tempered Zombie’s Barbara has 7’ed!

  • Gifted Typist has 7’ed!

  • Give Me My Blue Blanket

  • I, Splotchy’s Splotchy has 7’ed!

  • Politits’s DCup has 7’ed!

  • Reject the Koolaid’s Jacy

  • Ribbed for Your Pleasure’s Mountjoy has 7’ed!

  • Save Your Generation’s Pistols at Dawn has 7’ed!

  • Scrivener

  • Tanya Espanya has 7’ed!

  • Wapentake has 7’ed!

  • What I Like About the Universe's Evil Evil Genius has 7’ed!

  • Yawp's Third Worst Poet in the Galaxy has 7’ed!


  • Get your seven spillin’, kids.

    * * * * * *

    Labels: , , , , , , ,

    30 Comments:

    At 1/08/2008 11:39:00 PM, Blogger Evil Evil Genius said...

    I just willing posted about sitting alone in my apartment talking to crickets and getting spells of amnesia on a three-block trip to the bookstore. Are you sure you want to know seven things I haven't been sharing?

     
    At 1/09/2008 12:35:00 AM, Blogger Cup said...

    I read your whining at Flannery when I went over to TAG you, so I replaced you. If you want to do it, feel free. Otherwise, you're off the hook.





    Dammit.

     
    At 1/09/2008 03:26:00 AM, Blogger Coaster Punchman said...

    Poor Eddie Money. I'm sure he remembers that day. Nice to know more things about you.

     
    At 1/09/2008 06:20:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Beth! I love these things because I always learn interesting things about the bloggers I read, but also because I find things I have in common with them. I had a hard time committing ot the 10 year driver's license, too.

    Thanks for the tag. I needed a post idea today!

     
    At 1/09/2008 06:53:00 AM, Blogger Evil Genius said...

    Oh, I thought that was WHY you tagged me. I whine about everything. It is my MO.

     
    At 1/09/2008 10:02:00 AM, Blogger KK said...

    It bothers me greatly that we share your #2 thing about the computer opening program thingy.

    Does that mean I'm turning into a girl???

     
    At 1/09/2008 12:15:00 PM, Blogger Marni said...

    Kiddie Dude Ranch! That is where I broke my collar bone...

    And my friend, J (the one you have had lunch with)... his sister used to date Eddie Money.

    Love the list.

     
    At 1/09/2008 12:18:00 PM, Blogger Cup said...

    COASTER PUNCHMAN: I have no doubt that’s what inspired him to write and record “Shakin’.” He was rather charming. And sans panties.

    DCUP: These memes are fun, aren’t they? Can’t wait to read your seven secrets!

    EVIL GENIUS: Well, see, there’s your first of seven, Evil sir.

    KEITH: Not girlie at all. Some may call us OCD-ish, but I like to think that we’re focused, smart, and efficient in our use of the PC.

    MARNI: I drove by the other day, and the Kiddie Dude Ranch is still there — but operating under a less-hip name. Tell J we three need to lunch again, and he can spill the Money beans.

     
    At 1/09/2008 03:07:00 PM, Blogger Barbara Bruederlin said...

    Oh weren't you just the most adorable little kiddie dude! May I ask what exactly one does at a kiddie dude ranch?

    And I don't know why I never thought of coordinating my reading glasses. You must be the most pulled together woman in the state. I'm lucky if my socks match.

    And thrilled I am to be tagged btw.

     
    At 1/09/2008 03:35:00 PM, Blogger Boldly Serving Up Wheat Grass said...

    I first saw Eddie Money in St. Louis in 1985 or so. I'm fairly sure he was wasted out of his mind the whole time. He looked pretty sloppy & had a cocktail in his hand the whole time.

     
    At 1/09/2008 05:32:00 PM, Blogger Moderator said...

    That's an adorable picture. Absolutely adorable.

    And you must have been really, really stoned at your first concert.

     
    At 1/09/2008 05:33:00 PM, Blogger SkylersDad said...

    Nice work on this, I wouldn't have time or brain cells to do have that work!

     
    At 1/09/2008 06:34:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

    I remember your BS&T album, listening to it a LOT.
    Great pic, you are ADORABLE in crinolines & bobby socks, but I knew that already....

     
    At 1/09/2008 06:38:00 PM, Blogger Cup said...

    BARBARA BRUEDERLIN: A kiddie dude lives a very busy life. There are graham crackers to eat and purple Kool-Aid to drink … grasping the concept of an alphanumeric communication system … naps and recess. And, of course, coloring. Can’t wait to read your seven!

    BLOWING SHIT UP WITH GAS: Sounds like Mr. Money didn’t change his MO in the five years between our Eddie moments.

    GRANT MILLER: Adorably stoned.

    SKYLERS DAD: When challenged for playlists, I can always rise to the occasion, Dad.

    HOLLYC: I’m still adorable in crinolines and bobby socks, aren’t I?

     
    At 1/09/2008 06:39:00 PM, Blogger Jenny Jenny Flannery said...

    I love You've Got to Hide Your Love away! It's sublime...

     
    At 1/09/2008 06:43:00 PM, Blogger Tanya Espanya said...

    Done!

     
    At 1/09/2008 08:01:00 PM, Blogger Erik Donald France said...

    Love it! "I embarrassed myself in front of Eddie Money" -- didn't know such a thing was possible :->

    The commitment thing sounds about right. A German pol propsed seven year marriage licenses to be renewed or ended at the end of each cycle. Imagine how well that would keep people on their toes -- just say it with flowers. . .

     
    At 1/09/2008 08:05:00 PM, Blogger thirdworstpoetinthegalaxy said...

    Your 14 things are so much more interesting than my 7...

     
    At 1/09/2008 11:06:00 PM, Blogger Artful Dodger said...

    Wow, you close everything on your computer if one thing messes up? I'm not alone in this world after all. Ok though I admit I actually have to restart the computer too, just to get rid of bad juju. Must be a gypsy thing.

     
    At 1/10/2008 01:33:00 AM, Blogger paperback reader said...

    Soon enough, miss, but only because of the Bragg reference.

     
    At 1/10/2008 01:42:00 PM, Blogger BeckEye said...

    So, you removed my tag and replaced it with a promise-label. Does this mean I'm indefinitely untagged or only temporarily?

    See, you're smart, joining the REM fan club. I've been meaning to join Pearl Jam's for over 15 years now. How's THAT for procrastination?

     
    At 1/10/2008 05:27:00 PM, Blogger Fearless Leader said...

    I love The Beatles. So, I love "You've Got To Hide Your Love Away."

    In fact, I used to own a necktie licensed by Apple Corp (or some 90s impostor equivalent) that had a design entited "You've Got To Hide Your Love Away." A pseudo-retro thing that attempted to cross beatnik cartooning with Camelot Era mod, all in jewel tones. It was cool at the time, I thought. A way for me to express my artistic self while toiling away in my just-moved-to-Atlanta job as an executive assistant at Andersen Consulting. In retrospect, I think it said less about my appreciation for The Beatles and far more about my as-yet-undeveloped sense of clothing coordination.

    I no longer have said tie, and that's for the best.

     
    At 1/10/2008 05:39:00 PM, Blogger WendyB said...

    Love the Help soundtrack! And my initial reaction to the Eddie story was, as someone else commented, that I didn't know it could be possible to embarrass yourself in front of EDDIE MONEY. He's Eddie Money, for God's sake!

     
    At 1/10/2008 10:25:00 PM, Blogger Jenny Jenny Flannery said...

    Beth- Loved your 7&7. I am especially fond of the Willie/Waylon rendition of Sittin’ on the Dock of the Bay. As far as the taskbar thing, I’m with you. As for why the little bitches from the photo wouldn’t stand next to you, it’s cause you had it “going on” and they were in awe of your fierceness. BTW, the two dudes behind you in the bow ties, were they the best kissers? The one on the right seems to be checkin’ you out from behind. A grand list and thanks a lot for sharing these gems, as well as nominating Flannery and I as coolest couple of Blogworld. I’m touched.

    Doc

    P.S. - Shame you didn’t make it to the Eddie Money show. He might have given you “Two Tickets to Paradise”.

     
    At 1/10/2008 11:11:00 PM, Blogger Katie Schwartz said...

    Just when I didn't think I could love you harder, you post that you coordinate your reading glasses with your outfits. Love that so much, Bethy.

    Great 7s all around.

    You are the cutest kid, so happy and adorable.

     
    At 1/11/2008 07:58:00 AM, Blogger Cup said...

    FLANNERY: Isn't it? More than forty years old, and holds up better than most pop tunes from four years ago.


    TANYA ESPANYA: And very quite entertaining!

    ERIK DONALD FRANCE: Neither did I, until that graceless afternoon. Ugh, but can you imagine the marriage renewal process???

    THIRD WORST POET: I guess I'm more willing to embarrass myself.

    ARTFUL DODGER: I don't restart, but I'm beginning to think maybe I should have yesterday, with all the Internet Explorer crashes.

    PISTOLS AT DAWN: A girl can never go wrong with a little Bragging. And I enjoyed your seven reasons for being a flight risk.

     
    At 1/11/2008 08:02:00 AM, Blogger Cup said...

    BECKEYE: I got the impression you didn't want to meme. That label was there all along.

    THOMAS L. STRICKLAND: Ah, the foibles of youth. I can forgive a Beatles tie — but did you also own a Jerry Garcia tie?

    WENDYB: I got the Help! DVD for Christmas, and I can't stop watching. And feel free to look down on my curly head for being embarrassed in front of Mr. Money.

    DOC: Nominated? I think you two have firmly held that spot for quite a while, sir. I can't remember if the two boys behind me were good kissers — but I do remember the sweet lips of the tanned boy in the plaid sportscoat.

    JEWGIRL: I'm glad I'm beloved for my dorkiness!

     
    At 1/11/2008 01:16:00 PM, Blogger Earl Cootie said...

    "Aspen/These Days" are my favorite Fogelberg songs ever. To me, they epitomize the seventies. Not the lyrics so much as the music. The amazing teamplay of guitars in "These Days" will forever evoke a perfect summer day in 1976.

     
    At 1/12/2008 10:46:00 AM, Blogger Dale said...

    I clicked on Hot Lemon's link on my sidebar thinking it was yours and was reading along thinking wow, Beth! I'm still Wow Beth after reading this though.

     
    At 1/14/2008 07:32:00 PM, Blogger BeckEye said...

    I don't love to meme, but I figured I would do it...later. I was holding your meme answers for ransom. :)

     

    Post a Comment

    << Home


    View My Stats