19 December 2007

Mix Tape Holiday: My Christmas Classics

Today we’re listening to my classic Christmas tape. Many of these have been on my holiday playlist since I was a wee music freak. Several come from my all-time favorite Christmas record: Capitol Records’ Merry Christmas to You! My mother got the album when she was a teen, and it was the album we put on the stereo when decorating the tree. You just can’t go holiday wrong with Frank and Dino, a mambo and a fat man coming.

Uploading the full zip file seems to be eating up the bandwidth quickly, so today I’m linking just the individual tracks. Using your right-click finger will be a good opening-prezzies workout for you.

But not all of today's tunes are oldies. Some are radio staples between Thanksgiving and Christmas (including the only Mariah song I like), some I just got this month. Right-click, grab a ‘nog, and sing along.

Johnny Mercer :: Santa Claus Is Coming to Town

Frank Sinatra :: Jingle Bells

Mariah Carey :: All I Want for Christmas Is You

Donny Hathaway :: This Christmas

Dwight Yoakum :: Santa Claus Is Back in Town

Les Baxter :: Santa Claus’ Party

Tom Jones feat. Cerys Matthews :: Baby, It’s Cold Outside

Tony Bennett :: I’ll Be Home for Christmas (“The Jon Stewart Show”)

Eartha Kitt with Henri Rene & His Orchestra :: Santa Baby

Diana Krall :: The Man With the Bag

Charles Brown + Bonnie Raitt :: Merry Christmas Baby

Sheryl Crow :: Blue Christmas

Dean Martin :: The Christmas Blues

Frank Sinatra :: The Christmas Waltz

Coldplay :: Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas

Death Cab for Cutie :: Christmas (Baby Please Come Home)

R.E.M. :: Christmas Time Is Here

The Carpenters :: Merry Christmas Darling

The Thrills :: I Saw Mommy Kissing Santa Claus

Andy Williams :: It’s the Most Wonderful Time of the Year

Capitol Studio Orchestra :: Cha-Cha All the Way

Arthur Fiedler & The Boston Pops :: Sleigh Ride

Billy May :: Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer Mambo

Chuck Berry :: Run Rudolph Run

R.E.M. :: Ghost Reindeers in the Sky

How the Grinch Stole Christmas OST :: Trim up the Tree

Burl Ives :: A Holly Jolly Christmas

Vince Guaraldi :: Christmas Is Coming

David Bowie + Bing Crosby :: Little Drummer Boy/Peace on Earth

Nat “King” Cole :: O Tannenbaum

Michael Wolff feat. Warren Zevon :: The Christmas Song

Lyle Lovett :: Christmas Morning

Ron Sexsmith :: Maybe This Christmas

Sufjan Stevens :: Away in a Manger

Elvis Presley :: Christmas Message from Elvis/Silent Night


Dean Martin’s “The Christmas Blues” is traditionally the first Christmas song I play every year. It’s cool. It’s sexy. It’s Dino, dammit. I had a rough day last week, so my favorite boy (December 2007 version) sent me the video to cheer me up. He's going to have a very good Christmas.



One or two more Christmas mix tapes to come this week, kiddies. Next up: Christmas covers. Any special requests?

* * * * * *

Labels: , , , , ,

14 Comments:

At 12/19/2007 01:25:00 PM, Blogger Joe said...

Nice list. I'll have to put up some of my favorites in the next few days maybe. That Dean Martin video is awesome, by the way. Thanks!

 
At 12/19/2007 02:01:00 PM, Blogger Barbara Bruederlin said...

What a wonderful list, you have filled in some glaring gaps in my Christmas music collection. I think I will forego my regularly scheduled workout in favour of the right-click pushup.

So glad to see a couple of R.E.M. songs on there - I was wondering if you would find some.

And Ron Sexsmith too!

 
At 12/19/2007 02:40:00 PM, Blogger Michael K said...

It just ain't Christmas without Dino.

 
At 12/19/2007 02:46:00 PM, Blogger paperback reader said...

I don't like Dino, but I do like drunks. You can see how I'm torn.

Wonderful collection of tunes as always, Miss.

 
At 12/20/2007 08:20:00 AM, Blogger Tenacious S said...

Keep it coming! I'm a little behind this year and still decorating the tree.

 
At 12/20/2007 11:09:00 AM, Blogger Mnmom said...

I LOVE DINO!!! And he wasn't a drunk - it was all for show. He was a great family man who rarely drank. I love his Italian love songs.

 
At 12/20/2007 12:13:00 PM, Blogger anandamide said...

I know that it isn't strictly about "Christmas", but I would never make a Christmas mix without "Baby, it's cold outside". Only the Ray Charles/Betty Carter version will do.....

 
At 12/21/2007 09:31:00 AM, Blogger Erik Donald France said...

Thank you thank you, your mixes helped get me through yesterday. Teens sans homework bouncing off the walls. . .

 
At 12/21/2007 04:29:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

More than Christmas mixes, I just LOVE that "world peace" is lower on your wish list than a giraffe beanie baby. The bangles and baubles I can understand, it's just the beanie baby that worries me. : )

 
At 12/21/2007 05:16:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

*sigh* I always get here too late to get any.

Merry Christmas Beth!!

 
At 12/22/2007 09:40:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I arrived early this morning and grabbed some great tunes from this post. Thanks Beth!!

 
At 12/22/2007 09:25:00 PM, Blogger DaBich said...

Merry Christmas Beth!!!

 
At 12/24/2007 02:28:00 PM, Blogger Rising Rainbow said...

Wow, that's quite a collection!

 
At 12/27/2007 10:22:00 PM, Blogger Katie Schwartz said...

that line-up is off the mothah fuckin' hook. such sexy vintage and soulful songsters and songstrises. (I know those aren't words).

 

Post a Comment

<< Home


View My Stats