07 January 2008

100 Things About 2007

This is my 400th post. I listed 100 things about me in my 200th post, and considered adding to that. But since it’s a new year, I thought I’d relive some of my 2007 highlights … 100, to be exact.


1. I moved at the beginning of 2007. I left the ‘burbs, returning to my favorite area of town. I hope to never leave Decatur again.

2. Among other cool things, Decatur has long been one of our major lesbian neighborhoods. Possibly because in the Southern tongue it’s pronounced “dick-hater.”

3. While I love my life in Decatur, I have not become a dick-hater. It’s flattering, though, to go to the grocery store sans makeup and still get hit on.

4. My cup runneth over in the romance department the first few months of 2007 … “runneth over” being the key phrase.

5. A bit dramatic, a bit over the top by spring — so I took a boy break by the time the azaleas were blooming.

6. That break is ready to be broken.

7. Other than the rom-drama, my scariest 2007 moment was my brush with Karl Maldenism.

8. Luckily, the gin blossom faded away and left my nose intact, thanks to a pharm cocktail of antibiotics and steroids …

9. … although the steroids wreaked havoc on my body. Hate the ‘roids. My body is still raging from the ‘roids.

10. Runner-up for scariest moment: My eyelash bonfire during the Horrific Move of 2007. They’re back, too.

11. I thus stopped scaring small and mid-sized children by May, and was back to batting eyelashes by June.

12. (I’ve been sorting through my 2007 blog archives to fill this list. I didn’t blog much last year, did I?)

13. (Did I live a boring, noneventful 2007 — or was it just too busy and exciting for me to sit down and write about it? I’m still not sure.)

14. My mother and my sister had surgery last year, and both mended ahead of schedule.

15. We Coffey chicks are super-women.

16. Thank you for your comments and e-mails; your thoughts meant a lot to me.

17. The professional side of my life went very well in 2007.

18. The creativity level was cranked to 13, and I knocked off a lot of office socks.

19. But, really, do you want to read about the corporate Cup? Yeah, let’s move on to important things.

20. My beloveds were inducted into the Rock ‘n’ Roll Hall of Fame.

21. I’m still brimming with R.E.M. pride.

22. Rumor has it that the new album will be awesome — their best in years.

23. I was hoping for a March 25 release date, since that’s a Tuesday and my 49th birthday.

24. I think my undying love for R.E.M. deserves that honor. Don’t you?

25. But it’s coming out the following Tuesday — April Fools Day. The only fools will be those who don’t buy the album.

26. On an R.E.M. side note, I kept to my promise of a Peter Buck post ban after finding my blog was monopolizing the Technorati searches.

27. But I still love him.

28. In a non-sexual, non-stalking way, of course. I just want to be his best friend.

29. Is that creepy?

30. I saw nearly 30 concerts in 2007 — my busiest live-music year in a decade.

31. The best were Glenn Tilbrook (he’s funky — he told us so) …

32.Wilco, in the pouring rain …

33.Rufus Wainwright, Judy Garlanded to the nines …

34. … and Stevie Wonder, under the stars on a balmy night.

35. I hope to hit even more live shows in ’08.

36. After all, R.E.M. will be touring ...

37. … and I’m hitting the road for some Wilco shows.

38. Didn’t hit the road as much as I would have liked in 2007.

39. I enjoyed a holiday weekend in Chattanooga.

40. And I left my heart again in San Francisco.

41. I scored cocktails, appetizers, and dishing with liter-hottie Write Procrastinator while in The City — and that may have been the best part of the trip.

42. I went all self-indulgent on you with a new blog series, Mix Tape Fridays. You know I can’t resist a chance to blog about my favorite tunes.

43. I published twenty mix tapes and four holiday tapes — 864 songs.

44. Guess who appeared on every mix tape? Yep: R.E.M., or a Michael Stipe or Peter Buck appearance.

45. Second most appearances (excluding Warren Zevon on his tribute tape): The B-52’s and Elvis Costello tied with nine, followed by David Bowie.

46. I spend way too much time on these mix tapes: coming up with themes … pulling songs … working out the flows … rearranging the order for better segues … logging tracks on the Excel spreadsheet.

47. (I am nerd. Hear me roar.)

48. I listen to the mix tape tracks all week at work, which is interfering with me listening to actual albums.

49. But one must sacrifice in the name of art, right?

50. I hope I’ve turned a few of you onto new acts via these mix tapes. They definitely get conversations going in the comment box.

51. My favorite album of 2007 was Wilco’s Sky Blue Sky. It’s the album I played most often this year.

52. Because of the mix tape phenomenon (well, it’s a phenom in my mind), I didn’t get to fully listen to many of the new albums I like.

53. If I had listened more to 2007’s crop of new albums, I’m sure Spoon’s Ga Ga Ga Ga Ga, The Black Lips’ Good Bad Not Evil, Of Montreal’s Hissing Fauna, Are You the Destroyer, Nick Lowe’s At My Age, The National’s Boxer, and Modest Mouse’s We Were Dead Before The Ship Even Sank.

54. But I don’t want to fake a list since I didn’t listen as I should.

55. Favorite book — by a landslide — was Robb Sheffield’s Love Is a Mix Tape — and Robb’s going to be at my corner bookstore in a couple of weeks!

56. I can’t thank Artful Dodger enough for telling me about it.

57. It made me laugh — it made me cry — it was better than Cats.

58. And it inspired the ever-popular Mix Tape Friday posts. (See #42.)

59. Speaking of authors, I enjoyed a few brushes with liter-hotties in 2007.

61. Michael Chabon was the prettiest — and I finally learned how to pronounce his name.

61. Wesley Stace was the most entertaining, with Chuck Klosterman coming in at a very close second and Brock Clarke placing third.

62. But my greatest ’07 liter-hottie moment was when the much-adored Sherman Alexie sang Kiss’ “Beth” to me as he signed my book.

63. I’ve hated that song since it came out in 1976. That is, I hated it until Sept. 1 at 6:12 p.m.

64. I hate to admit it, but the most disappointing book in 2007 was Armistead Maupin’s Michael Tolliver Lives. It wasn’t bad; it was just okay.

65. I didn’t see as many ’07 movies as I would have liked … but I have some favorites.

67. My top movie was Once. How could it not be, with a perfect combination of great music and romance?

67. Plus, we saw Glen Hansard and Markéta Irglová in concert in November, which increased my movie love.

68. Other fave flicks included King of California and Waitress.

69. Boy, I didn’t see much, did I? I have a lot of DVDs to see in the coming months to get me ready for awards season.

70. The most important movie news in my 2007, though was my first weekend solo show.

71. I’ve repeated the solo movie outings, and have yet to be mistaken for a homeless person.

72. TV didn’t offer many stellar moments for me in 2007.

73. The Sopranos finale, of course, was fantastic.

74. My favorite show of the year was Mad Men ...

75. ... and second favorite was Pushing Daisies.

76. And, of course, the Bravo staples: Project Runway and Top Chef.

77. My 30th class reunion was held in November, but I didn’t attend.

78. I did, however, reconnect with the person I most wanted to find. Thank the Google gods for blogs!

79. Since Favorite High-school Boy found me, we’ve had a great time catching up and one-upping each other on music and books and bawdy jokes.

80. He’s firmly back on my favorite list, thirty years later. Cool, huh?

81. We had a great time getting together when he was home for Thanksgiving …

82. … and even more fun during his Christmas visit.

83. I can’t wait for his Arbor Day visit. Lucky for me, Georgia observes Arbor Day in February.

84. On the friendship side of my life, many of my beloveds went through some tough times this year.

85. Breakups seemed to be the theme for the last half of the year.

86. In hindsight, I think most of them are much better off getting away from their not-at-all-better halves,

87. but there will be challenges for them this year as they venture back into the dating world.

88. Lucky for them, they have a professional dater on hand to give them advice.

89. All in all, 2007 was a great year,

90. filled with music and baubles and books and merriment,

91. fun times, fabulous friends, the joy of being a Decaturite once again.

92. A bit of adventure, a (wee) bit of maturing, and some gloriously giddy moments.

93. What do I want in 2008?

93. A lot of adventures …

94. … a new friend or five ...

95. … more blogger meet-ups (already met one in 2008; story to come this week) …

96. … more interesting blog posts …

97. … a smaller ass …

98. … a Democrat in the White House …

99. … more time to read your blogs …

100. … and a year filled with R.E.M., margaritas, and fish tacos.

* * * * * *

Labels: , , , , ,

29 Comments:

At 1/07/2008 07:58:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a fun read, Beth!

After many years out of Chicago, I've rediscovered Wilco. I love their new album.

I hope you have a great 2008 without the loved one surgeries ad burned eyelashes.

 
At 1/07/2008 08:46:00 PM, Blogger Jenny Jenny Flannery said...

Here's to a wonderful new year. I'm looking forward to some new REM, too. Afterall, American Idol can't be as great as it was this past year, can it? I've got to lay off the AI Kool-Aid...

 
At 1/07/2008 09:13:00 PM, Blogger Erik Donald France said...

Wow, an epic year, indeed. 2008 should be interesting, too, eh?

 
At 1/07/2008 09:55:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

sounds like you had a well rounded fascinating year filled with enough downs to make you appreciate the ups.
May 2008 hold less drama, more music, and all the fish tacos your heart desires.

 
At 1/07/2008 11:49:00 PM, Blogger WendyB said...

This was a busy year!

 
At 1/07/2008 11:50:00 PM, Blogger Artful Dodger said...

Wow I made your 100 list! I feel so special. I grin from ear to ear. Though I am super jealous that Rob's going to be in your hood. You better go and tell him hello for me. :P

 
At 1/08/2008 07:33:00 AM, Blogger Marni said...

Great list! But no mention of the cuz... oh well... there is always 2008.

 
At 1/08/2008 09:29:00 AM, Blogger Evil Evil Genius said...

Coming up with a list of 100 anything is hard. I know.

 
At 1/08/2008 10:26:00 AM, Blogger Boldly Serving Up Wheat Grass said...

Great post ... and educational, too! I'd never heard that "dick hater" thing.

 
At 1/08/2008 10:33:00 AM, Blogger Dr. Monkey Von Monkerstein said...

Congrats on your 400th post! You are adored blogosphere wide and especially by me (even if you never read or worte about my novel).

 
At 1/08/2008 10:37:00 AM, Blogger Johnny Yen said...

Happy 400th!

 
At 1/08/2008 12:49:00 PM, Blogger a/k/a Nadine said...

That was great fun. Good luck with your 2008 wants.

 
At 1/08/2008 01:24:00 PM, Blogger paperback reader said...

Fun indeed, though now I will wander the Earth wondering why you hate the number 94.

 
At 1/08/2008 02:27:00 PM, Blogger BeckEye said...

Did Glenn refer to himself as "G. Tilly?"

 
At 1/08/2008 02:28:00 PM, Blogger Michael K said...

That's a whole lotta facts. I take an opposing view on fish tacos though.

 
At 1/08/2008 04:31:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Add me to your new friend list Beth

 
At 1/08/2008 06:14:00 PM, Blogger Moderator said...

I think Peter Buck and I would be best friends.

 
At 1/08/2008 06:17:00 PM, Blogger Mountjoy said...

I know I've had a great time with your mix tapes Beth - please dont stop!

(and besides, High Infidelity is a pretty cool name for an album of break up songs, isn't it?)

 
At 1/08/2008 06:23:00 PM, Blogger Dale said...

A highlight for me has been checking in on you. Happy 2008 Beth.

 
At 1/08/2008 06:50:00 PM, Blogger thirdworstpoetinthegalaxy said...

So much to respond to -- what a year! I wish my boy cup would "runneth over." And I love the Mix Tape series!

Speaking of wishes, hope you find all you're looking for in '08.

 
At 1/08/2008 07:01:00 PM, Blogger Jacy said...

Great post! And give all your heartbroken friends my e-mail address ... I've come out the other side and can assure them they will to.

 
At 1/08/2008 07:01:00 PM, Blogger Jacy said...

Errrr ... I meant they will TOO!!

 
At 1/08/2008 11:40:00 PM, Blogger Writeprocrastinator said...

Now that was a year!

 
At 1/08/2008 11:51:00 PM, Blogger Cup said...

DCUP: Isn’t it a great album? I have yet to grow tired of it. Happy 2008 to you, too. As fellow blue hotties in a red state, we should share a beer sometime this year.

FLANNERY ALDEN: I’ve never sipped from the AI Kool-Aid cup, I’m proud to say. I only watch reality shows with Tim Gunn.

ERIK DONALD FRANCE: Damn interesting!

FILEGOD1: I’ll treat you to a fish taco or three next time you’re in my neck of the woods.

WENDY B: A damn good one, at that. And welcome to my comment box!

 
At 1/08/2008 11:54:00 PM, Blogger Cup said...

ARTFUL DODGER: You should feel special; that was the best recommendation I got all year. I’ll be sure to give Robb your props.

MARNI: Didn’t see you much in ’07 …

EVIL EVIL GENIUS: Are you listing your lovers again?

BLOWING SHIT UP WITH GAS: Graffiti artists even paint “Dick-hater” on town signs.

DR. MONKEY VON MONKERSTEIN: Adoration flows both ways, my favorite simian.

 
At 1/08/2008 11:59:00 PM, Blogger Cup said...

JOHNNY YEN: Thank you, sir!

NADINE: It was fun living it, too.

PISTOLS AT DAWN: Dammit! Leave it to you to dwell on my mistakes. The much-maligned 94 is now back.

BECKEYE: Not that I remember. That must be his little lovey name for you.

MICHAEL K: You should embrace the fish taco! It’s a zesty party in a soft tortilla!

GIFTED TYPIST: You’re on it, GT!

 
At 1/09/2008 12:03:00 AM, Blogger Cup said...

GRANT MILLER: Only if I give you the thumbs-up to my BFF Pete.

MOUNTJOY: I love that name! I am so using it for the next break-up tape … with props to you, of course.

DALE: No wonder my longest-lasting blog crush is on Bee Boy of the North.

THIRD WORST POET: It wasn’t a fun runneth. Glad you’re enjoying the mix tape series; I have so much fun putting them together!

JACY: I’ll be sure to pass your URL on. I know a couple have already begun reading your blog. This is going to be your year, doll.

WRITE PROCRASTINATOR: With you smack in the glorious middle!

 
At 1/09/2008 01:13:00 PM, Blogger Joe said...

Wow, this was the best year-in-review post I have ever seen. Thank you for providing so much music and fun over the past year!

 
At 1/10/2008 11:17:00 PM, Blogger Mountjoy said...

I'd love to take the credit Beth, but that belongs to an REO Speedwagon LP...

...and of course Nick Hornby had the wonderful novel, "High Fidelity" which was as much about music as it was love.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home


View My Stats