24 December 2007

Mix Tape Holiday: Happy Xmas (Tapes Are Over)

Well, the Christmas mix tapes, anyway. I’ll be back to the regularly scheduled mix tape this Friday.

Today’s tape includes some interesting alt covers of popular Christmas tunes — everything from R.E.M. and Pearl Jam to The Pipettes and The Spice Girls. I just stumbled upon The Spice Girls’ track last week, and I’m rather tickled about it.

Download. Dance and unwrap. Trap a cutie under the mistletoe.

R.E.M. :: Good King Wenceslas

Marshall Crenshaw :: Feliz Navidad

Dave Edmunds :: Run Rudolph Run

U2 :: Christmas (Baby Please Come Home)

The Spice Girls :: Christmas Wrapping

Everclear :: Santa Baby

The Polyphonic Spree :: Happy Xmas (War Is Over)

Wedding Present :: Step into Christmas

Swipe! feat. Gwenno :: Last Christmas

Sufjan Stevens :: Holy, Holy, Holy

Sam Phillips :: It Came upon a Midnight Clear

Tom Waits :: Silent Night

Pedro the Lion :: God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen

Lisa Loeb :: Jingle Bells

Pete Yorn :: Do They Know It’s Christmas?

The Pipettes :: White Christmas

R.E.M. :: Merry Xmas Everyone

Bright Eyes :: Blue Christmas

Ivy : Christmas Time Is Here

Hem :: Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas

Clem Snide :: Joy to the World

Syd Straw + Rickie Lee Jones :: O Holy Night

Alexi Murdoch :: Silent Night

Neko Case :: Christmas Card from a Hooker in Minneapolis

Labrea Stompers :: You’re a Mean One, Mr. Grinch

Pearl Jam :: Don’t Believe in Christmas

Flat Duo Jets :: Jingle Bells

Seersucker :: Santa Claus, Go Straight to the Ghetto

Joan Jett :: Little Drummer Boy

Phantom Planet :: Winter Wonderland

My Chemical Romance :: All I Want for Christmas Is You

Henry Rollins :: Twas the Night Before Christmas



The R.E.M. cover of Slade’s (and later, Oasis’) “Merry Xmas Everybody” is brand-spanking new, having arrived in my mailbox with my Christmas fan club package last week. That’s Mike Mills singing lead.

It’s tough for me to skip The Pretenders’ “Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas” — but, damn, Hem’s version is just beautiful. Be sure to listen.

I despise “Little Drummer Boy” — except for two versions: Bing and Bowie’s classic and Joan Jett’s. Joan makes the song cool, so pa rum pum pum pum with her.

Happy Christmas, my e-beloveds! I hope Santa brings you everything you asked for. I’ve been a very good girl, so it looks like I’m getting what I’ve been asking for all year.

* * * * * *

Labels: , , , , ,

7 Comments:

At 12/24/2007 10:20:00 AM, Blogger Old Lady said...

Merry Christmas to you. Looks like cool weather for us.

 
At 12/24/2007 10:42:00 AM, Blogger Writeprocrastinator said...

Have you ever seen the animated version of "Olive The Other Reindeer?" They based the mailman on me.

Christmas, bah, bug and hum.

A merry, merry Christmas to you and all of the wonderful Coffey family!

 
At 12/24/2007 11:09:00 AM, Blogger Barbara Bruederlin said...

So many presents you gave us this year! And now here's one more!

Have a wonderful Christmas, my friend!

 
At 12/24/2007 02:33:00 PM, Blogger Moxie said...

Dammit, I need to get up earlier so I can download these. You are definitely a popular blogger, my dear.

Happy Christmas, doll!

 
At 12/26/2007 06:45:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hoodoo Gurus do a nifty surfy instrumental version of "Little Drummer Boy" which I like. Merry X'mas!

 
At 12/27/2007 10:19:00 PM, Blogger Katie Schwartz said...

I'm definitely checking out Joan Jett's rendition of Drummer Boy. I never totally got that song. It seemed so 50s over the top. Like I would know, right? The Jew. Oy gevalt.

 
At 1/06/2008 06:29:00 PM, Blogger Freddie L Sirmans, Sr. said...

Just browsing the internet. You have a very, very interesting blog. great blog.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home


View My Stats