14 January 2008

Freewheeling It

The Occasionally Beloved Engineer and I saw one of the best shows of 2008 Saturday night: The Freewheeling Yo La Tengo. Okay, it was my first show of the year, but I have a feeling it’s going to be on my Best Of list come December.

The show format was … well, freewheeling. Ira, Georgia, and James sat in folding chairs, answering questions and playing requests. Well, most of them; they turned down shoutouts for the much-too-requested “Speeding Motorcycle” and “Autumn Sweater.”

The OBE and I also went to last February’s Yo La Tengo show, but stayed just twenty minutes at that one. Too much fun and too much beer before the show + a bit too Yo La Emo = restlessness. Glad we stayed for this show.

Ira answered most questions and told most of the stories, with some help and funny asides from James, occasional comments from the quiet Georgia. I laughed more than I sang along. I was sure I'd remember several stories to tell here … but, well, I’m on the edge of old and can’t remember them in full. It was fascinating, though, to hear them talk about their love of records and music, and “meeting” Lou Reed.

I can’t even remember the setlist, dammit. They played great tunes, though, including “My Little Corner of the World” and a Rolling Stones cover (the title has now slipped this foggy ol’ brain; I should really write these concert recaps when I get home from the show). The encore was their cover of “I’m Your Puppet” and “Mr. Tough,” one of my favorite tracks from I Am Not Afraid of You and I Will Beat Your Ass.

Not familiar with Yo La Tengo? Here they are performing “Mr. Tough” in a radio studio, very much like Saturday’s performance.



Go see The Freewheeling Yo La Tengo Review if it rolls into your town.

* * * * * *

Labels: , ,

9 Comments:

At 1/14/2008 09:17:00 AM, Blogger Splotchy said...

Sounds like a groovy concert!

 
At 1/14/2008 04:27:00 PM, Blogger Dale said...

I'm Yo La Tengo-tarded but now I have a much better idea. I'm glad you had a good time or think you remember you did!

 
At 1/14/2008 07:49:00 PM, Blogger BeckEye said...

I probably would've been one of the un-cool kids who requested "Autumn Sweater." And "Upside-Down."

 
At 1/14/2008 10:57:00 PM, Blogger Barbara Bruederlin said...

I always thought Yo La Tengo would put on a great concert. Great to hear this confirmed, you lucky girl.

 
At 1/15/2008 02:29:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The Rolling Stones song was "Connections" from Between The Buttons. Our friends who went to the show with us saw Ira and Georgia at the Tara on Sunday at a showing of "The Savages." Your blog is great!

 
At 1/15/2008 09:48:00 AM, Blogger Earl Cootie said...

Back in my concert-going days, I used to memorize the setlist during the show, then find a pen and scrap of paper in the car afterwards to write it down before a night's sleep fuzzed it all up.

 
At 1/15/2008 11:50:00 AM, Blogger paperback reader said...

I would have kept yelling, "Experience Unlimited's 'Doin Da Butt!'" And they would have said, "That guy is awesome. Come join our band."

 
At 1/16/2008 11:56:00 AM, Blogger Boldly Serving Up Wheat Grass said...

I'll check out the vid later at home. Our IT guy disabled video streaming at the office. All I see is a large blank area. Bummer... (Of course, I should be *working* anyway, right?)

 
At 1/17/2008 12:50:00 AM, Blogger Mnmom said...

They are performing at 89.3 The Current which is right here in my town.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home


View My Stats