22 January 2008

I've Got Moxie!

Chalk up another one on my blogger meet-up board: I recently cocktailed with the adorable and adorably talented Moxie. She had a two-hour layover at the Atlanta airport (the busiest airport in the world, you know), so I put on my Blogger USO skirt and welcomed her in the food court of our fine airport.

A blogger meet-up can be an awkward thing. You’ve read each other’s thoughts and successes and failures and dreams — but you’ve never seen the face or heard the voice. There’s a hint of anxiety as you wait: What if we don’t click? What if she thinks I’m a fake or a tool?

None of those concerns were an issue with Moxie. She’s a smart, fascinating woman with interests all over the map. Very multidimensional, that one. She’s funny and inquisitive, and I hated how quickly the time slipped away.

The obligatory back o’ the bloggerhead photo.


There are two things that charmed me about Moxie’s stop:

1. She called before her flight to Atlanta left, leaving a message about how excited she was to meet me — that she felt like she was on her way to meet a celebrity. I milked that line among the beloveds to the point where it’s now banned until July.

2. She dressed to impress: a CBGB’s T-shirt and fabulously funky earrings. I love a woman who knows how to dress for the occasion.


To quote Scrivener: I’m so vain, I bet I think this blog is about me, don’t I?

It was a lot of fun discovering our commonalities. Our livelihoods revolve around writing, our lovelihoods are focused on music. Boys and beaux were discussed and dissed, friendships and fascinations were shared. I enjoyed the company much more than the cabernet.

And so I began the year with one less invisible friend, one more pal on the other coast. I’m one lucky girl.

* * * * * *

Labels: , , , ,

21 Comments:

At 1/22/2008 01:56:00 PM, Blogger Boldly Serving Up Wheat Grass said...

I've always thought there was something kind of erotic about the word "layover" -- which, even though your story was perfectly innocent, added a pleasant girl-on-girl undertone to the tale.

 
At 1/22/2008 02:08:00 PM, Blogger Moxie said...

You are too kind! I have to get my act together and post my version of our rendezvous. Which also sounds slightly erotic, going along with B.S.U.W.G.'s thinking...

 
At 1/22/2008 03:22:00 PM, Blogger KK said...

You're so lucky to be in Atlanta - we don't get many layover at the Laurel-Hattiesburg "regional" airport down here!

And Moxie rocks anyway, so you're double lucky.

 
At 1/22/2008 07:47:00 PM, Blogger Allison said...

Sounds like a refreshing meet-up!

I noticed Love Is a Mix Tape in your sidebar, looks intriguing. I may have to suss it out.

 
At 1/22/2008 08:30:00 PM, Blogger jo(e) said...

You seriously went and met her at the airport? That's so cool.

I was stuck in the Atlanta airport for 14 hours last June. If only I had known that there was a blogger in Atlanta who does airport calls ....

 
At 1/22/2008 08:36:00 PM, Blogger chez bez said...

I always love meeting fellow bloggers.

Thanks for sharing.

 
At 1/22/2008 10:35:00 PM, Blogger Barbara Bruederlin said...

I love it so much when the blogger you meet doesn't turn out to be a psycho axe-killer! I am definitely planning my next flight to include an Atlanta layover, which is tricky when you are flying Calgary to Toronto, but to meet you, would be well worth it.

 
At 1/22/2008 10:50:00 PM, Blogger Dale said...

That's pretty excellent for you both. Here's to airport love ins. Psycho axe-killer, Qu'est-ce que c'est?

 
At 1/23/2008 02:20:00 AM, Blogger Moxie said...

Oh, don't forget that I almost had you sign my MP3 player, too! About 75% of the tunes in there are from the Cup!

 
At 1/23/2008 09:39:00 AM, Blogger Erik Donald France said...

kudos . . . fun!

 
At 1/23/2008 10:59:00 AM, Blogger Coffeypot said...

You are one lucky girl. You have me for an uncle.

 
At 1/23/2008 12:44:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

How cool! Next time I visit my Dad down in Florida, you can meet me at the airport too! I'll buy!

 
At 1/23/2008 01:44:00 PM, Blogger Cup said...

BLOWING SHIT UP WITH GAS: So do I … which is why I made sure to use the word.

MOXIE: But it was very erotic and steamy. (Let’s get the boys all riled up, Moxie.)

KEITH KENNEDY: LHRA ain’t a happenin’ spot? Too sad. And yes, I was very lucky!

ALLISON: Definitely check it out. I’m going to hear the author read from it tonight; can’t wait!!!

 
At 1/23/2008 01:48:00 PM, Blogger Cup said...

JO(E): I seriously met her. I enjoy airport runs; call me weird. I live relatively close to the airport — less than a thirty-minute drive — so I’m always up for the layover meet-ups. For fourteen hours, I could have toured you around the city.

CHEZ BÉZIAT: Isn’t it fun? I hope to add more bloggers to my meet-up notch post this year.

BARBARA BRUEDERLIN: Well worth the time and extra ticket costs, Barbara. You’re not an axist type, are you?

DALE: Fa-fa-fa-fa, fa-fa-fa-fa-fa.

 
At 1/23/2008 01:50:00 PM, Blogger Cup said...

MOXIE: I love that I’m programming so many iPods. More Manilow, anyone?

ERIK DONALD FRANCE: Thank you, sir. See, you should have dipped into Atlanta while North Carolining the fall away.

COFFEYPOT: I am beyond lucky, Uncle.

BLUEZ: Sounds like a plan! The e-mail address is on the navbar.

 
At 1/23/2008 02:07:00 PM, Blogger Coffeypot said...

And Moxie is a hottie in a back-headed sort of way.

 
At 1/23/2008 06:49:00 PM, Blogger SkylersDad said...

You both have great looking back-heads!

 
At 1/23/2008 10:03:00 PM, Blogger thirdworstpoetinthegalaxy said...

Love those back of the head shots you do. Cracks me up. I've yet to meet anyone from blogger. But, hey, on a pretty much unrelated note, I'll be seeing Wilco next month!

 
At 1/24/2008 09:53:00 PM, Blogger Barbara Bruederlin said...

I hardly ever get axist, Beth, and never on a first bloggie meet.

 
At 1/28/2008 08:14:00 AM, Blogger Tanya Espanya said...

I love that your meet up was great. I'm next! When are you coming up here?!

 
At 2/03/2008 03:16:00 PM, Blogger Katie Schwartz said...

She sounds like a great dame. What a fabulous new online to offline friend. I so dig that. I worry, too, about how everything will go. I do think that it's gotta work out most of the time as it did with you and moxiegirl.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home


View My Stats