08 September 2006

My un-Labored Weekend

I spent last weekend in the loveliest spot of the state: Lake Burton, in the North Georgia mountains. I meant to write about the weekend earlier, but I took way too many photos and just finished sorting them.

My brother-in-law’s father owns a house on the lake. He rarely goes up, so my sister, brother-in-law, and I took over the house for the holiday weekend. After months of stress and heavy workloads and worries and traveling, it was wonderful to just be for a few days — no makeup, R.E.M. and Zevon T-shirts and cutoffs, hair curling wildly. We took boat rides, read, hung out, enjoyed the view.

And the house has a porch. A big porch. With railing. Overlooking the lake and mountains. My kind of hangout spot.

So, let’s start with the most important part of the weekend: the cocktailing.

My sister and I decided to cocktail for twelve hours straight on Sunday, and we pulled it off. We also imbibed much of Saturday and Monday, too. The nice thing about marathon cocktailing is, if you're a pro, you can maintain a level of buzz that's not too far over the edge. With no hangovers or embarrassing drunk dialing.

You know the pose; now meet my weekend pals.

Sister's award-winning frozen margarita


A margarita on the rocks (we tired of blending)


Chik-Fil-A lemonade with Absolut Citron



A glass of red from Garretson Winery*


A chilled glass of Naia


*Paso Robles' Garretson Winery is owned by a Georgia boy, Mat Garretson. (His older brother was one of my college radio station buddies.) The winery is known for its viognier, and I recommend it. The red we're drinking is a Georgia Bulldogs label that my brother-in-law picked up; not bad at all. Mat must know what he's doing with those grapes.

More Lake Burton stories to come this weekend.



* * * * * *

Labels: , , ,

13 Comments:

At 9/09/2006 04:54:00 AM, Blogger barista brat said...

that looks like the BEST way to spend labor day weekend!

between you and your sis - who holds their liquor better?

 
At 9/09/2006 05:25:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'll trade you places! You can come to California. I'm really interested in reading about your 2996 Project. Thank you!!!

 
At 9/09/2006 08:13:00 AM, Blogger Cup said...

BRAT: Hands down, the sister. But I kept up with her last weekend. I'm so proud.

SHY PERSON: Where in Cali are you? And glad to read you're interested in the 2,996 Project. I'm glad to be involved with the project.

 
At 9/09/2006 08:29:00 AM, Blogger nancy said...

Perfect kind of holiday weekend - agreed. Once I wore out a blender, and it wasn't from making soups.

 
At 9/09/2006 10:25:00 AM, Blogger kfluff said...

Whoa, marathon boozing AND mixing of the liquors? Your are my new heroine. Tell me this, does it help to build up a tolerance first? Did you have to train in order to keep up with the sister?

 
At 9/09/2006 10:43:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Haven't tried that viognier I don'think, where is it available? you know that IS my favorite variety...

 
At 9/09/2006 11:26:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You and Paige have always practiced good drinksmanship and I admire that quality. Not everyone can keep the correct buzz going all day.

 
At 9/09/2006 05:30:00 PM, Blogger Coaster Punchman said...

Oh my God. You are my kind of ladies. I'm glad you switched from frozen margies to rocks, though. We have a policy over at CPW: if you want a slushy, you have to go to 7-11.

Oh, and I LOVE Chick-Fil-A. I discovered it on my trip to Georgia last year.

 
At 9/10/2006 01:02:00 AM, Blogger Cup said...

NANCY: You sound like our kind of woman. Sure you're not from the South?

KFLUFF: Sister and I have been in training since our middle teens. It's not a sport to dive into quickly.

HOLLYC: I thought I gave y'all a bottle for Christmas. Next time I come up, I'll bring one; my neighborhood wine store carries it.

RCOFCHS: You taught me well, sensei, in your Datsun 240Z. With Lou Reed playing.

COASTER PUNCHMAN: In high school, we used to drink slushies and Johnny Walker. Good times. And next time you're in Georgia, you must call and see if you can keep up with us.

 
At 9/10/2006 08:19:00 AM, Blogger Dale said...

No pictures twirling a straw between your toes? What kind of party was this? Looks like a great time.

 
At 9/10/2006 06:40:00 PM, Blogger Cup said...

Next time I go up there, Dale, I'm gonna do some toe-twirling just for you.

 
At 9/11/2006 08:37:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Awwww see and I have been looking for cool things to do in Georgia... I have been here for 7 years and barely ventured out of my little space. At first I refused to make GA my home, but I finally realized I am here make the most of it. Thanks for the idea.....

 
At 9/15/2006 09:55:00 AM, Blogger Cup said...

SHROOM: If you're looking for something to do, send me an e-mail (address is on the navigation bar), and I'll send you some ideas.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home


View My Stats