10 September 2006

A Room with a View

The Final Lake Burton Rumination

I had the downstairs to myself last weekend. My bedroom opened up to the screened porch, so I kept the door open all weekend. I woke up in the middle of each night to sit on that darkened porch … enjoy the alive solitude of 3 a.m. … stare at the still lake, the black sky baubled with millions stars … hum along with the cricket serenade … leave my worries and thoughts and stresses farther behind with every rock of the chair.


From the porch, at dusk


When (and notice I didn't write “if”) that house becomes mine, I plan to knock down walls and make the lake-facing side all windows. Without window treatments. Just the sky and lake and trees for curtains.


Captain brother-in-law, with sister’s beloved beagle

Brother at the helm

I love living life by boat — getting up in the early morn and zipping to the marina for the morning paper (and a fabulous boho skirt), taking two or three rides every day, cruising in the evening with a glass of wine and gentle breeze.

Georgia trivia: There are no natural lakes in the state; they’re all man-made (man-dug?). ‘Tis true; my mama told me so. Lake Burton is owned by Georgia Power.

A bank of kudzu

One downside about the most beautiful spot in Georgia is it’s where the very moneyed have their weekend homes, pricing paupers such as I out of the market. Folks are building McMansions up there — seven bed/ten bath behemoths (or, as I call these houses, behomeths) that are priced around six million. Yes, I mean dollars.

Here are some houses snapped from the boat.

I could be very happy here

Not quite what I’d call a lake house

This could be yours — for $6 million (and your soul)

Lake Burton is glorious. It needs me as much as I need it. I’m gonna suck up bigtime to the brother-in-law so that he’ll invite me up every three weeks. And introduce me to his widowed dad.


* * * * * *

Labels: , , , ,

8 Comments:

At 9/10/2006 06:34:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like your brother in law's place better than the McMansions. The porch rules!

 
At 9/10/2006 06:40:00 PM, Blogger Old Lady said...

Great pictography!

 
At 9/10/2006 06:52:00 PM, Blogger Coaster Punchman said...

Very nice. I'm glad you spend time enjoying the good things in life. You are cool! (That phrase is a CP trademark. Also the ultimate compliment.)

 
At 9/10/2006 07:26:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

are those mountains? or hills? just wondering....


ps--i am jealous of your vacation.

 
At 9/10/2006 07:49:00 PM, Blogger Cup said...

GLASSMEOW: The McMansions are ridiculous, aren't they? I'm a simple gal; all I need is a porch and that view.

OLD LADY: It's easy to get great photos up there, even on overcast days.

COASTER PUNCHMAN: I am so frickin' cool, it's unebelievable. I'll be in your neck of the woods in December; we should drink each other under the table.

M: They are mountains. Old mountains. Older than those tall, young Rockies. They've been worn down by time -- but they're still beautiful and strong. Oh, and stay jealous.

 
At 9/10/2006 10:38:00 PM, Blogger barista brat said...

even a city girl like me can appreciate how nice your vacation by the lake was.

 
At 9/10/2006 11:48:00 PM, Blogger Writeprocrastinator said...

I wanna fly like a beagle
To the lake
Fly like a beagle
I hope Beth feeds me some steak.



Wow, kudzu really does grow over everything.

 
At 9/12/2006 03:13:00 PM, Blogger Parlancheq said...

Happened across your blog from the 2996 participant list. Liked your tribute.

And I learned that GA has no real lakes. I had no idea! The big lake houses are a bit much, but I guess if someone gave me one free for nothing, I'd accept it. But only if it came with a maid too. Wouldn't want to have to clean all that square footage myself. ;)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home


View My Stats