09 September 2006

Hey, Kids, Shake a Leg

The Drive to Lake Burton

In the beach vs. mountain question, I’ve always picked mountains. I love the north Georgia mountains — the peace in the green, the silence in chirping crickets and singing birds. It’s the foothills of the Blue Ridge Mountains, so everything is green and blue and leafy. My soul relaxes as soon as I spot the first mountain.


The drive to Lake Burton is just under two hours from my place. Last Saturday’s drive was wonderful. The sunroof and windows were down … our local station was in the middle of a Smells Like the ‘90s weekend, so the music was great … the weather was glorious, a bit overcast, but humidity-free. I zoomed and sang and danced in the driver’s seat all the way to the driveway.


The Sautee-Nacoochee Indian Mound has always been a favorite spot on my mountain tours. Legend has it that it’s the resting place of two tragic young lovers from warring Cherokee and Chickasaw tribes. Sometimes called the Romeo and Juliet Indian Mound, it was built by mound builders in 10,000 B.C.

There are many Indian mounds around the state. If you ever make it to Georgia, I recommend an afternoon trip to the Etowah Indian Mounds, about 45 minutes north of Atlanta. Very cool place.

And here’s the Lake Burton house. Beautiful, isn’t it? On the outside, anyway. Inside, it’s a museum for 1974 décor.



Can’t you see me writing great stories and novels here? Dancing to and singing along with R.E.M. from one end of the porch to the other? Just look at that porch, that view. You know how I love porches (I'm on my porch as I'm writing this, in fact).



And the level below has a screened porch running the length of the house. The home is owned by my brother-in-law’s father. Widowed father. I’m seriously considering roping him into marrying me so that I can get that house. Do you blame me?

Tomorrow: Photos from around the lake.


* * * * * *

Labels: , , ,

9 Comments:

At 9/09/2006 04:25:00 PM, Blogger High Power Rocketry said...

: )

 
At 9/09/2006 05:32:00 PM, Blogger Coaster Punchman said...

I'm not sure if it's normal to drool over vacation houses, but I'm doing it anyway.

 
At 9/09/2006 05:45:00 PM, Blogger barista brat said...

that house is beautiful!

if you do get hitched, make sure he lets you update the interior!

 
At 9/09/2006 06:22:00 PM, Blogger Marni said...

Looks like a postcard. I'm so jealous!

BTW - I have always loved that Indian Mound, too. It is the one I look for whenever I head to the mountains. When I see it I know I'm there... know what I mean?

 
At 9/09/2006 07:02:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That is one really great place with a superb view to get your inner muse working. Probably work on the outer muse, too.

How I could learn to love a place like that. It'd take about 30 seconds.

Great pictures, too.

 
At 9/09/2006 07:11:00 PM, Blogger Old Lady said...

Porches are the most important part of a house. All houses should have porches-it should be code.

 
At 9/10/2006 05:56:00 AM, Blogger ngthatsme said...

oh wow! this place looks like the ultimate relaxation spot. love the views and love your photos. and that porch!!! you could sit there without a care in the world...

 
At 9/10/2006 06:58:00 AM, Blogger Writeprocrastinator said...

That's nice, the Georgian version of Lake Cuomo.

 
At 9/10/2006 08:18:00 AM, Blogger Dale said...

Old Lady said it. I second it. I want a porch like that someday. Great photos and thoughts Beth. Marry him whether you mean it or not!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home


View My Stats