19 December 2006

It's the Most Wonderful Time of the Year

I hope you had a lovely weekend, whether or not you’re celebrating the Christmas season. I had a joyous, family-filled weekend.

I spent Friday evening with my mother. We went to the historic Marietta square (home of Joanne Woodward and Bugsy’s Virginia Hill), where we wandered through the shops and enjoyed an Italian dinner. The weather hovered in the low seventies, so it was nice to stroll along the square, white lights luminating our way.

The rest of the weekend was spent with my sister. We left her husband at home to go out for a Mexican dinner and margarita pitchers, then shopped at a nice outdoor, upscale shopping center near her place. The place was filled with white lights and Christmas songs, and we spent and sang and sashayed our holiday spirit up and down The Avenue. When we got back, we had a great spend-the-night party, curling up on the bed with the dog and cat to watch a movie. And the best part: She always gets up to make me breakfast the next morning.

I don’t write about my sister much on the blog, and that’s just plain wrong. She’s one of my very favorite people in the world. For some reason, when I’m with her I’m more the person I wish I were all the time — kinder, laid back, relaxed, funny. Don’t get me wrong — I’m still snarky and sarcastic and catty when we’re together, just in a kinder, gentler way. But when we argue … well, it ain’t pretty.

We’re just eighteen months apart, so we’re as much friends as we are sisters. We’re nothing alike and we’re very much alike. She loves sports and yardwork, I love concerts and hitting the town. We're both funny and outgoing and loud and full of energy. She’s the most fun person to spend time with, and I’m glad I spent the weekend with her.

Today’s Christmas Playlist

Ella Fitzgerald: Santa Claus Got Caught in My Chimney
Waitresses: Christmas Wrapping
The Pretenders: Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas
Rilo Kiley: Xmas Cake
Sheryl Crow: Blue Christmas
Mariah Carey: All I Want for Christmas Is You
The Ronettes: Sleigh Ride
Kelly Hogan: Rockin' Around the Christmas Tree
Whitney Houston: Do You Hear What I Hear?
Aimee Mann: You’re a Mean One, Mr. Grinch
Michael Stipe: We’re Not so Bad

* * * * * *

Labels: ,

13 Comments:

At 12/19/2006 10:20:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I miss Kelly Hogan.

 
At 12/19/2006 10:26:00 AM, Blogger Joe said...

Nice playlist, and very nice Santa picture

 
At 12/19/2006 10:32:00 AM, Blogger Marni said...

I'm crazy about her, too... wish I could spend more time with her...

 
At 12/19/2006 11:35:00 AM, Blogger Johnny Yen said...

Nothing like a little holiday sashaying...

 
At 12/19/2006 01:31:00 PM, Blogger Cup said...

DJ CAYENNE: So do I. She's conducting a women's writer workshop with Lynda Barry in Chicago in early January ... but that's annual report season for me, so I can't go.

BUBS: Weren't we cute? Yep, today's playlist is all chicks, in honor of the sister.

MARNI: I'll plan a cocktail hour for the three of us after the first of the year.

PAIGE: You know you're my girl!

JOHNNY YEN: You gotta work in the holiday sashay whenever you can ...

 
At 12/19/2006 01:51:00 PM, Blogger Old Lady said...

It's fun to piddle around town sometimes. Remember the good old days.

My brothers have asked me not to portray them in too bad a light, for the sake of their children. How can I resist!

 
At 12/19/2006 10:54:00 PM, Blogger Dale said...

I've got 5 of the damned things (sisters) and I only write about them to make fun of them. That's a form of love ain't it?

I hate to say it but my love for Chrissie Hynde aside, I would rather pierce my eyeballs with knitting needles than hear her take on Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas. I would almost rather hear Paul McCartney butcher that Simply Having a Wonderful Christmastime song.

The rest of your list is exquisite like that photograph!

 
At 12/20/2006 08:07:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah Paige! You always cook your sister breakfast? I KNEW you were a sweetie...and where was that Santa Photo taken? doesn't look like Rich's>
MERRY CHRISTMAS COFFEY CLAN

 
At 12/20/2006 09:08:00 PM, Blogger lee said...

I could picture everything you wrote, beth.Lovely post :).

 
At 12/21/2006 02:30:00 AM, Blogger Karen said...

That picture is adorable!

 
At 12/21/2006 02:57:00 PM, Blogger Cup said...

OLD LADY: What are brothers for, other than to taunt and make 'em look bad?

DALE: I like Chrissie's version of "Have Yourself." But I am a Christmas geek. And, yes, I can read the brotherly love jumping off your page.

HOLLYC: I'm not sure where that photo was taken. I think we found it among Uncle Bob's stuff ...

LEE: Thank you, Lee!

KAREN: Isn't it a great photo? I just wish it wasn't creased.

 
At 12/22/2006 08:51:00 PM, Blogger Dale said...

It's just that one song. And the McCartney one. I bow to your supreme but still cool geekness.

 
At 12/29/2006 11:24:00 AM, Blogger Coaster Punchman said...

That sounds like a great way to spend the Christmas weekend - Mexican food, margie pitchers and kinder/gentler snarkiness. You are my kind of gal.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home


View My Stats