16 November 2007

Mix Tape Friday: The Class of '77

My thirtieth high-school class reunion is tomorrow night. Thirty freakin’ years since I fretted over every little thing I said, second-guessed every item of clothing I wore, giggled whenever a cute boy talked to me (okay, I still do that). I’m not going to the reunion, though, so we’re reunioning right here, right now, kids.


Now, here’s the coolest story ever to come out of my mix tape posts. I told dear friend HollyC — a fellow Class of ‘77’er — about this week’s mix tape while we chatted Monday afternoon. I mentioned I had written a paragraph stating I’d go to the class reunion if David C — one of my very favorite CHS boys — has RSVP’ed; we lost track of him nearly twenty years ago. Four hours later I got an e-mail from that very same David C, who has Googled me and found my blog that evening. And I've spent the rest of the week e-mailing and catching up with the boy. Isn’t that the best? Blogs and Google rock.

The punk and new wave movements kicked off during my high school years. I love those early albums by The Ramones and The Clash and Patti Smith, and they made a big impression on me during high school. But for me, those years between 1973 and 1977 were all about good ol’ rock. And so that’s all we’re featuring today — no Stevie Wonder or K.C. & The Sunshine Band, no Fogelberg or Captain & Tenille. I shook it up a bit with some classic rock covers of songs released between my freshman and senior years.

To set the stage for you youngsters out there, my high-school years looked very much like Dazed and Confused. In fact, I saw it for the first time with the sister, and it felt to us like a documentary of our lives. We could match someone from the CHS halls with every character in the movie.

And, yes, we really dressed that way.

Okay, enough of the reminiscing. Let’s get to the reason why you’re here: the songs. I got a bit too excited pulling these tunes — to the tune of sixty songs plus five bonus tracks. I hope you spend your afternoon air-guitaring all over your office.

Let’s rawk — seventies style!



Boston: Foreplay/Long Time

Golden Earring: Radar Love

Electric Light Orchestra: Do Ya

Bruce Springsteen: Tenth Avenue Freeze-out

David Bowie: Young Americans

John Lennon: Whatever Gets You Through the Night

The Sweet: Ballroom Blitz

Steve Miller Band: Jungle Love

Rick Derringer: Rock and Roll, Hoochie Koo

R.E.M.: Toys in the Attic (Aerosmith cover)

Mother’s Finest: Piece of the Rock

The Rolling Stones: Doo Doo Doo Doo Doo (Heartbreaker)

Deep Purple: Woman from Tokyo

The Allman Brothers Band: Southbound

Eric Clapton: Motherless Children

Bob Seger & The Silver Bullet Band: The Fire Down Below

Warren Zevon: I’ll Sleep When I’m Dead

Lou Reed: Sally Can’t Dance

Foo Fighters: Carry on My Wayward Son (Kansas cover)

Bad Company: Bad Company

Manfred Mann's Earth Band: Blinded by the Light

David Essex: Rock On

Average White Band: Pick up the Pieces

Gary Wright: Love Is Alive

Elton John: Benny and the Jets

Queen: Killer Queen

George Harrison: Dark Horse

Bachman-Turner Overdrive: Takin' Care of Business

Lynyrd Skynyrd: Gimme Three Steps

Fleetwood Mac: The Chain

Stories: Brother Louie

Roger Waters feat. Van Morrison, Rick Danko + Levon Helm: Comfortably Numb

Nazareth: Love Hurts

Neil Young: Like a Hurricane

The Eagles: Wasted Time

Ozark Mountain Daredevils: Jackie Blue

Bob Dylan: Tangled up in Blue

Doobie Brothers: Black Water

Steely Dan: My Old School

Atlanta Rhythm Section: Georgia Rhythm

Little Feat: Oh, Atlanta

Mott the Hoople: All the Way from Memphis

Gregg Allman: Don’t Mess up a Good Thing

Foghat: Slow Ride

R.E.M.: Smoking in the Boy's Room (Brownsville Station cover)

Wings: Jet

The Who: Slip Kid

Ringo Starr: Back off Boogaloo

T. Rex: I Love to Boogie

Heart: Crazy on You

Sleater-Kinney: More Than a Feeling (Boston cover)

Kiss: Rock and Roll All Nite

Led Zeppelin: D'yer Mak'er

War: Low Rider

The Minus 5: That Smell (Lynyrd Skynyrd cover)

Wilco: (Don’t Fear) The Reaper (Blue Oyster Cult cover)

Head East: Never Been Any Reason

Marshall Tucker Band: Fire on the Mountain

Joe Walsh: Rocky Mountain Way

Peter Frampton: Do You Feel Like We Do


“Do You Feel Like We Do” was special to the CHS class of ’77, as it was nearly our class song. The little ditty some of our classmates (including moi) wrote barely edged it out in votes. Thirty years later, I wish Mr. Frampton’s classic had won. “Why Don’t We Do It in the Road” — probably nominated by RCofCHS — was fourth in the voting. We were one classy class. But I’d rather be naughty that traditional with “We Will Never Pass This Way Again.”


Don’t have thirty years to download all this classic rock? Your one-click (well, three-click) access to the zipped tunes are waiting for you here, here, and here.

Southern rock, of course, was big in our school halls. Not much of that genre has held up in my world, except for Allman Brothers, but I included some of the tracks I still enjoy. And I’m noting with pride that “Freebird” ain’t on the list.


The Pep Rally Playlist

Our marching band kicked aural ass. If you went to high school in the 1970s, your school band may have played these — but I bet our marching band played ‘em better than yours. I hope HollyC is grabbing the nearest pompoms, Janice is using her broom as a flagpole, and Renae is fingering faux valves. If only Pete Royal was still around to crash those cymbals.

Deep Purple: Smoke on the Water

Santana: Oye Como Va

Grand Funk Railroad: We’re an American Band

The Edgar Winter Group: Free Ride

Chicago: Dialogue, Part 1/Part 2


Yeah, I know everyone played Chicago back then. And the three classmates I still keep up with requested “25 or 6 to 4.” But “Dialog Part 1 and 2” was the first song I marched to during my flag corps days, so it holds a special place in my nerdy, sentimental, flag-twirlin’ heart. I can still march a turn to this tune. If only I had a flagpole handy …

* * * * * *

Labels: , , , , , , ,

37 Comments:

At 11/16/2007 12:20:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

thanks for the memories, my faves
tenth ave. freeze out,heartbreaker, the chain, tangled up in blue,all the way from memphis, slip kid, never been any reason

 
At 11/16/2007 12:37:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

If you had included 25 or 6 to 4, you would have had a flagpole to twirl right now. twirl away sweet flag girl!

 
At 11/16/2007 07:36:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I still think "Why Don't We Do It In The Road" was the best choice. Can we have a recount? I am just proud that for once I know all the songs on your Friday list.

 
At 11/16/2007 08:20:00 AM, Blogger Mike Lewis said...

Todays mix put a HUGE smile on my face. WOW great songs!
Love the covers you tossed in.

Beth, you're the best thing to happen to my fridays since cocktail hour!

Oh yeah, unrelated to MTF... I hope you meant it when you said you will go see Kelly Joe Phelps, Please do and take a few pics for me.

 
At 11/16/2007 08:47:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

LOVE IT, LOVE IT, LOVE IT...can't wait to try and figure out how to download it into my new SwiMP3 player. Excellent picks!

 
At 11/16/2007 09:53:00 AM, Blogger Erik Donald France said...

Class of '78 here. I am still laughing -- laughing -- laughing --
too freaking perfect . . .

 
At 11/16/2007 10:05:00 AM, Blogger Marni said...

Finally - some songs I KNOW!!!!!

 
At 11/16/2007 10:34:00 AM, Blogger Earl Cootie said...

Oh, my, that is excellent. I'll have to come back and check them out (or revisit) all of them when I've got more time this weekend.

My high school documentary was Fast Times at Ridgemont High, but I always wanted to be in the Dazed and Confused crowd.

 
At 11/16/2007 11:08:00 AM, Blogger Michael K said...

I am more of an 8o's guy but many of these songs are what I call "pool music". I spent all my summers at the public pool until I was about 10 and the radio blasted these tunes constantly. I can picture myself in line at the concession stand listening to "Young Americans" waiting to buy a frozen Charleston Chew. Good times.

 
At 11/16/2007 11:24:00 AM, Blogger dguzman said...

Class of '83 here, but I'm totally time-warping back to the days when my Class of '79 big sis Raquel (her real name) would play Nazareth's Hair of the Dog album ALL. FECKING. DAY. LONG. then follow that up with another day-long run of Kansas' Leftoverture.

Keep on truckin'.

 
At 11/16/2007 12:06:00 PM, Blogger Moxie said...

Once again you have outdone yourself with your mix tape. These songs kick ass - I went through a long phase of listening to classic rock radio stations in college so I actually know more of these songs than I thought I might. I can't wait to get home and download 'em!

 
At 11/16/2007 12:18:00 PM, Blogger Cup said...

FILEGOD: "Tenth Avenue Freeze-out" is one of my happy songs; I can't help but be in a good mood when I hear it. An old beau who was always late — something that drives me up the wall — would always have it playing in his car if he picked me up more than 30 mintues late — he knew I'd quit bitching and start singing. I'm a simple girl, aren't I?

DAVID: I remember your limping issues back in homeroom, sir, which is why I avoided the Chicago schwing.

RCOFCHS: You nominated that class classic, didn't you? No wonder you were my CHS hero.

MOTHER GOLDSTEIN: You flatter me, sir. I have a helluva lot of fun doing these, so I'm glad some of you have a helluva lot of fun listening.

 
At 11/16/2007 12:21:00 PM, Blogger Cup said...

HOLLYC: Let me know if you need help with the uploading. That's why I'm here, ma'am.

ERIK DONALD FRANCE: Aren't these tunes a hoot? You should have seen all the hall-dancing and fist-pumping I did while putting this list together.

MARNI: You should try something new and listen to the songs you don't know. You may expand your musical horizons.

EARL COOTIE: I'm very proud to be aDazed and Confused girl, I must admit.

 
At 11/16/2007 12:21:00 PM, Blogger Dr. Monkey Von Monkerstein said...

My Data Bus seems to be fecking with me today so I'll have to wait to down load some of this stuff but speaking as a class of '80 guy, all these songs were a part of my youth as well. I can't wait to hear "Jackie Blue" again and be transported back to the Cumberland Bowl Park public pool, I can almost smell the coconut tanning lotion and see the Bacon sisters in their bikinis. Thanks for the trip back Beth. You rock.

 
At 11/16/2007 12:25:00 PM, Blogger Cup said...

MICHAEL K: Early '70s pop and R&B is my pool music, so I understand what you mean. I think that's why I love that era of music so much: It takes me back to being carefree all summer long ...

SKYLER'S DAD: I knew you were too cool for school, Golddigger! The mid-1970s rawked!

DGUZMAN: Tell Big Sis Raquel to stop by to remember the good ol' days. Were you ready to strangle with nonstop Nazareth and Kansas? I would have been.

MOXIE: Let me know if you discover any new nuggets on the list.

DR. MONKEY VON MONKERSTEIN: Thank you, sir. I'm glad I brought the sizzlin' Bacon sisters back to life for you.

 
At 11/16/2007 12:32:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Awesome Tape this Week - even though I was the class of 80...

I look forward to Friday's!

 
At 11/16/2007 01:10:00 PM, Blogger Barbara Bruederlin said...

Oh wow. This transports me right back to my high school days as well, and to be truthful, I'm a little conflicted about that. I felt I came more into my own when punk, post punk, and new wave hit the scene. I was a late bloomer, I guess.

Thanks for the great trip!

 
At 11/16/2007 01:41:00 PM, Blogger KK said...

This sounds like Friday night at the pub.

Good tunes. A little pool shooting with giggling girls. Some mellow weed and some ice cold Miller ponies.

Oh, did I mention that the pub was in 1977. Kind of got lost in the fog there.

And in 1977 our HS band big one was "Eli's Coming" by Three Dog Night. Very cool song for a 200 member band.

But you SHOULD GO to your reunion, then you can laugh at the ones that think their shit still don't stink!

Thanks for the mamaries (not so freudian slip from 1977)

 
At 11/16/2007 02:04:00 PM, Blogger paperback reader said...

That was downright poignant, miss. Also, it provides the same reason I don't go to any of my high school reunions.

I will say this for the 1970s: it's a lot easier to be nostalgic for that music than it is to be like, "Man, remember the Pet Shop Boys and the Rollins Band? What good times those were."

 
At 11/16/2007 03:19:00 PM, Blogger Cup said...

MARGB331: Ah, but your early high school years were in the late seventies, so some of these should strike a chord. Glad you're enjoying the mix tapes!

BARBARA BRUEDERLIN: I too came to my passion for music through punk, post-punk, and new wave. I rarely listen to these tunes today, so this mix was a bit of a treat for me, sort of like catching up with an old friend.

KEITH KENNEDY: I think some of us holdouts are going to have a mini-reunion during the Thanksgiving holiday. And the "thanks for the mammaries" joke still makes me giggle.

PISTOLS AT DAWN: You are so right about the eighties music — except for the beauty of post-punk and new wave.

 
At 11/16/2007 05:56:00 PM, Blogger Dale said...

Can't wait to get downloading and reliving my misspent youth. If I didn't hear it on the radio, my brothers were playing it. Love your choices and hearing your groovy memories too. Flagpoles for everyone!

 
At 11/16/2007 06:08:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

We never really got hit with the punk thang in my isolated little part of the world. I came to that later, but the blues-based rock got us hard, and you've captured that well.

 
At 11/16/2007 07:16:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think RC and I need to check out "Dazed and Confused", haven't seen that...
HI DAVID!!!

 
At 11/16/2007 07:37:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Class of 75 here. Believe it or not I have every single one of these tunes on MP3. I may not have PMS anymore now that I'm OLD and the memory may be fading a bit, but I remember each and every one of these tunes like it was yesterday. Oh and slow dancing to Frampton's "lines on my face" at the Machine Shop in Syracuse NY with a boy I've never forgotten to this day. Thanks for the memories and another GREAT mix tape!

 
At 11/16/2007 07:59:00 PM, Blogger Cup said...

DALE: You should see me twirl my pole, especially when I'm wearing those groovy white marching boots.

GIFTED TYPIST: I hope you enjoy the tunes.

HOLLYC: We should have a spend-the-night party and watch it together!

BLUEZ: You are too cool for school, Bluez! There is no better time machine than a song, is there?

 
At 11/16/2007 08:31:00 PM, Blogger Scott said...

I feel like I went to high school with you now. You've done quite the job of setting the scene and painting the picture :)

 
At 11/16/2007 10:17:00 PM, Blogger Johnny Yen said...

Great mix! But we all know you're fibbing. You look way too good to have graduated 30 years ago!

 
At 11/17/2007 12:15:00 AM, Blogger BeckEye said...

Cool that you caught up with your long lost friend!

Great, great mix tape today. I actually have several real mix tapes of classic rock, titled "Classic Tunes," "More Classic Tunes," "Yet Even More Classic Tunes," and on and on like that. :)
I loved rock 'n roll since I was in diapers, thanks to having much older siblings. The '70s really had some of the best, most timeless music ever.

 
At 11/17/2007 10:25:00 AM, Blogger Coaster Punchman said...

How did I figure you for a flag corps girl???? Probably because there was a girl in my HS who had dark curls like yours who was in flag corps. My HS had about 10 different cheerleading squads, pom pons, flag corps and probably a few others I'm forgetting. (My HS was jock central.)

 
At 11/17/2007 04:56:00 PM, Blogger Boldly Serving Up Wheat Grass said...

I've been reading your blog for several months now. Of all the mix tapes you've put up since, this one has the most familiar tunes for me. I graduated in '87, but these were the exact tunes we listened to. Must be a 10-year lag between your school's location and the midwestern locale in which I grew up.

 
At 11/19/2007 07:56:00 AM, Blogger DaBich said...

OMG!!! This is the best list EVER that you have posted!!!! I graduated the year after you, and Baby, these songs ROCK!! I'm gonna play this list all friggin week and drive the office insane LOL!

 
At 11/19/2007 03:14:00 PM, Blogger anandamide said...

that's a great list....

 
At 11/20/2007 03:53:00 AM, Blogger Writeprocrastinator said...

Song for song, the best decade ever and your best Friday mix ever!

 
At 11/20/2007 12:30:00 PM, Blogger Moderator said...

Hey man, is that freedom rock?

 
At 11/20/2007 07:01:00 PM, Blogger bigshoulders said...

great mix, Beth.
How was the reunion?
cheers,
kevin

 
At 11/21/2007 11:57:00 AM, Blogger Tony Alva said...

So. Rock hasn't held up! Now, now. Skynyrd's Gimme Back My Bullets and Street Survivors are very good records as is the Live one recorded at the Fox.

I must commend you on your selections. Good stuff. The 70's were ALL rock for me. Kiss Alive, Destroyer, R&R Over, Ted Nugent Free For All, Eagles Hotel Ca, Steve Miller Fly Like an Eagle, Zep Presence, and lots and lots of Aerosmith since both Dream On and Walk This Way were in heavy rotation on Hampton VA AM/FM radio back then. It was a watershed time for great rock. I'm glad I was around for it.

 
At 11/25/2007 07:21:00 PM, Blogger Tenacious S said...

CP and I went to very similar schools. Eeeek! Flag girl? Rock on with your nerdy self! I was the smart girl in the smoking lot. I was Lindsay on Freaks and Geeks.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home


View My Stats