14 December 2007

Mix Tape Friday: Merry Christmas, Baby!

I love Christmas. Tinseling tinsel, twinkling lights, brightly colored balls, Santas everywhere. The decorations and the feeling of the season make me so very happy in the weeks leading up to Christmas. Nightmares of scary monsters are replaced with visions of sugar plums dancing through my head. Yep, I’m a seasonal dork.

So of course I love Christmas music — even the Singing Dogs barking “Jingle Bells,” even that song by Alvin & The Chipmunks. I’ve never cataloged all the albums, CDs (one or two 8 tracks), and MP3s, but I have more than a thousand seasonal tunes within easy reach. And you lucky kids get to reap the bennies of my obsession. I have such a massive collection, I may do several mix tape posts in the days leading to Christmas.

Since my bandwidth tends to get eaten up quickly, we’re going to try something different. I’ve uploaded just Santa’s bag o’ zipped file; no individual track links on this post. If you need just one or two songs to complete your fabulous Christmas mix and don’t feel like downloading the zipped file, drop me an e-mail.

Today we’re rawkin’ out — Santa style. Some classics you’ve heard on your local station for years, some not-so-classics that should be played in place of Bob Seger’s “Little Drumer Boy” (gawd, I hate “Little Drummer Boy”). Some of these are local groups off early-1990s Flagpole Christmas albums, so give ‘em a listen. The late Deacon Lunchbox kicks off the set.



Deacon Lunchbox : Introduction


R.E.M. : Christmas Griping

Hüsker Dü : We Wish You a Merry Christmas

Keith Richards : Run Rudolph Run

Darlene Love : Christmas (Baby Please Come Home)

Bruce Springsteen : Santa Claus Is Coming to Town

The Ramones : Merry Christmas (I Don’t Want to Fight Tonight)

Young Fresh Fellows : O Little Town of Bethlehem

Pearl Jam : Someday at Christmas

Yo La Tengo : It’s Christmas Time

The Flaming Lips : White Christmas

Oasis : Merry Xmas Everybody

The Beatles : Christmas Time Is Here Again

Graham Parker + Nona Hendryx : Soul Christmas

Clarence Carter : Back Door Santa

The Sonics : Don’t Believe in Christmas

OK Go : Father Christmas

Kelly Hogan : Rockin’ Around the Christmas Tree

Robert Earl Keen : Merry Christmas from the Family

Dread Zeppelin : All I Want for Christmas Is My Two Front Teeth

Simple Plan : My Christmas List

The Waitresses : Christmas Wrapping

Billy Squier : Christmas Is the Time to Say I Love You

The Woggles : Santa Claus

Pee-Wee Herman : Christmas Medley

Run-DMC : Christmas in Hollis

R.E.M. : Parade of the Wooden Soldiers

Radiohead : Winter Wonderland

Squeeze : Christmas Day

Sufjan Stevens : Hey Guys! It’s Christmas Time!

Band Aid : Do They Know It’s Christmas?

King Missile : Jesus Was Way Cool

Keith Richards’ cover of Chuck Berry’s “Run Rudolph Run” is the best, in my opinion. I like Dave Edmunds, too, but I’m a Keef girl.

There is one song I’ve been trying to find for years (lost my CD in a breakup a decade and a half ago): The Coolies’ “Feliz Navidad.” If you have it, would you share it?

What are your favorite Christmas tracks? Maybe they’ll make an appearance in coming days. Don’t worry — Sinatra and Dino, Andy Williams and Johnny Mathis are hitting the Cup next week.

* * * * * *

Labels: , , , , ,

30 Comments:

At 12/14/2007 12:08:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

From Santas everywhere, hope your stocking gets filled with everything you've dreamed of. best wishes to you and all your beloveds

 
At 12/14/2007 12:56:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've included you in my Holiday Mix Roundup at:

http://gyozamonsta.wordpress.com

Merry Christmas!

 
At 12/14/2007 03:48:00 AM, Blogger Malcolm said...

Glad to hear that MyDataBus is treating you right once again. Since I received the message that you exceeded your quota for public file downloads today, I'll try downloading the file another time.

We share a couple of favorites in common (like The Waitresses and Run DMC). Those two tunes, along with 11 others, are included in my Thursday Thirteen for this week. I've also included links to download the tracks as well.

 
At 12/14/2007 07:49:00 AM, Blogger Gifted Typist said...

That's fantastic Beth. Thank you for the lovely present.

 
At 12/14/2007 07:51:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ho Ho Ho, thanks for the tunes.
couldn't do the download this AM, but will try again later. I think I am starting to get the hang of this.

 
At 12/14/2007 08:44:00 AM, Blogger Mike Lewis said...

Great mix - These songs shall be played as I drink nog with the reindeer and elfs.

 
At 12/14/2007 12:47:00 PM, Blogger dguzman said...

Thanks for the tunes, and have a great holiday!

I love the BandAid song, and I can't wait to hear the Lips' version of White Christmas!

 
At 12/14/2007 01:58:00 PM, Blogger blueblanket said...

You're just too popular. That's the problem.

 
At 12/14/2007 02:18:00 PM, Blogger BeckEye said...

I'm gonna be doing a Christmas Sonic Sunday soon...I knew you would beat me to it! Ah, Squeeze "Christmas Day." Yay!

My all-time fave Christmas song is the Billy Squier one. It's insanely good. I posted the video last year, but who knows if it's been taken down from YouTube by now.

 
At 12/14/2007 02:20:00 PM, Blogger Moxie said...

Ya hafta get up pretty early in the mornin' to download from the Cup anymore. I was just thinking I needed the Run DMC tune as an MP3. I have it on cassette - it was on the "A Very Special Christmas" album. It's not Christmas until Moxie has yelled "It's Christmas time in Hollis Queens! Mom's cookin' chicken and collard greens! Rice and stuffing, macaroni and cheese! Santa puts gifts under Christmas trees!" Nothing gets people in the holiday spirit more than hearing an overweight white woman rap. HOLLA!

 
At 12/14/2007 03:45:00 PM, Blogger Moderator said...

I will agree with David Letterman - the Darlene Love song is the best Xmas song around.

 
At 12/14/2007 04:59:00 PM, Blogger Evil Evil Genius said...

The fact that you have the Young Fresh Fellows on here makes me want to drive to atlanta and kiss you! Gas is expensive, though. Still, thanks. And merry Christmas!

 
At 12/14/2007 06:01:00 PM, Blogger paperback reader said...

Yay for you being back, and also for the Ramones, Waitresses, Husker Du, and Run-DMC tunes. I still laugh every time I hear "an ill reindeer."

I'm a big fan of Kurtis Blow's "Christmas Rappin'" (featuring the worst rhyme in hip hop history, "For parents, there were presents, too/a new TV and a stere-oo"), the Pogues' "Fairytale of New York," and Fear's "F* Christmas."

 
At 12/14/2007 08:22:00 PM, Blogger Artful Dodger said...

Yay!! You're back. I can't get Paul McCartney's "Wonderful Christmas Time" out of my head. I like that song ^_^

 
At 12/14/2007 10:57:00 PM, Blogger Barbara Bruederlin said...

So glad to have you back gracing the blogosphere with your style and grace.

To me, Christmas will always and forever be Fairytale of New York.

Although naturally I am intrigued to see Radiohead doing Winter Wonderland on your list. Where do you find these gems?

 
At 12/15/2007 09:13:00 AM, Blogger Katie Schwartz said...

I'm a Jew so I can ask this question guilt free. Dwelling in guilt as much as I do, this is a most liberating thing. Have I couched it enough?!

At the laundrette the other night, my sister and I heard a vinty Christmas song about santa. He's a Spanish kid and the song is half english and half spanish. Spill.

I didn't know you loved Christmas so much. That's so sweet!

 
At 12/15/2007 10:01:00 AM, Blogger Allison said...

Fine list, as always. I have always held a soft spot for "2000 Miles" by the Pretenders.

 
At 12/15/2007 07:38:00 PM, Blogger Scott said...

Great songs! I'm working on my Christmas post now. It's going to be much smaller, as I have some bandwidth limitations...

And I'm happy to say that you didn't include ALL of the songs I'm going to be posting...

(Brace yourself for NKOTB's Funky Funky Xmas...)

 
At 12/16/2007 09:50:00 AM, Blogger Dale said...

I've never liked The Little Drummer Boy either but I heard a version the other day that I didn't recognize and actually didn't mind! If only I knew who it was!

Anything from Ella Wishes You A Swinging Christmas is on my list and I also love the Eurythmics version of Winter Wonderland.

 
At 12/16/2007 10:43:00 AM, Blogger lulu said...

Thank you for the great tracks! I'll have to stay up late one night and get them downloaded.

My all time favorite Christmas songs are The Christmas by Shoes, and Merry Christmas Will Do, by Material Issue.

 
At 12/16/2007 05:09:00 PM, Blogger Erik Donald France said...

Merry Christmas back to ya. I saw Billy Idol's holiday album the other day and got the chills ;)

Run Run Rudolph!

 
At 12/16/2007 05:18:00 PM, Blogger lulu said...

That's "This Christmas" not The Christmas

 
At 12/16/2007 05:29:00 PM, Blogger Mountjoy said...

Beth - glaring ommission?

John Lennon - Happy Xmas (War is Over).

 
At 12/16/2007 11:23:00 PM, Blogger Joe said...

Thank you, thank you.

I'm fully on that Christmas roller coaster ride now...and your wonderful songs help make it a funner ride.

 
At 12/17/2007 11:52:00 AM, Blogger mellowlee said...

Glad you are back Beth! My favorite holiday tunes are Christmas Wrapping by the Waitresses, Fairytale of New York, and All I want for Christmas is you (the Love Actually version by Olivia Olsen) Oh, and I like the song Father Christmas by The Kinks too :O)

 
At 12/17/2007 06:54:00 PM, Blogger mellowlee said...

OMG, I love the Pearl Jam one! Also, the Ok Go version of Father Christmas is pretty cool too! Thanks!

 
At 12/11/2008 08:34:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oooh! How about a re-up? Merry Christmas!

 
At 12/19/2008 03:08:00 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Great list.

 
At 12/19/2008 03:14:00 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

By the way, I got here looking for Material Issue's Merry Christmas Will Do. (I see Mellow and Barb have stopped here in the past - what a small world.)

Love the Waitress's - so addictive. Ha.

 
At 12/23/2008 09:44:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Any chance of reposting these this Xmas??

 

Post a Comment

<< Home


View My Stats