30 November 2007

Mix Tape Friday: The Heartbreak Tape

The beautiful and Bewitch-ing Jacy recently suggested that I do a breakup mix tape. I’ve had a blog crush on Jacy for quite a while, so I was happy to oblige the girl. But I more than obliged her — Jacy selected many of the tunes on this mix tape. She threw some very cool songs into the mix, many I hadn't considered. Methinks she's been listening to her heartache playlist too much this year. [How stupid is he to let a prize like her get away?]

This week’s theme isn’t part of my life at the moment (thank God!). I published an in-the-moment brokenhearted playlist a couple of summers ago. I looked at that list after I put together this one — and was amused at how many repeats there are, and ticked that I missed some good ones.

But back to this week's mix tape. This seems to be the current playlist throughout my circle. Seven or eight of my beloveds hit the breakup stage this year (must be something in the nonexistent Georgia water). This mix tape goes out to those dear friends.

This mix tape may be a discussion-only post. MyDataBitch is acting pissy ... again ... and the support team has yet to return my calls. I’ll let you Cupettes know when the site gets it uploading/downloading act together again.

Whether or not you’re suffering from a broken heart, you still probably enjoy a good sob over a sad song. I know I do. Folks take their heartbreak tunes seriously. Had dinner last night with David C, the long-lost high school buddy, and he kicked me under the table when I told him that, no, there were no Tom Petty songs on this breakup tape.

So I’m curious: What’s on your playlist when the heart’s been stomped?



Bonnie Raitt: Cry Like a Rainstorm

Jeff Buckley: Last Goodbye

Johnny Cash: Hurt

Beck: Lost Cause

Ryan Adams feat. Chris Stills: Harder Now That It's Over

The Replacements: Sadly Beautiful

Me'shell Ndegeocello: Fool of Me

eels: It’s a Motherfucker

Joy Division: Love Will Tear Us Apart

The B-52's: Give Me Back My Man

Ben Folds Five: Song for the Dumped

Kelis: Caught out There

The Minus 5: I’m Not Bitter

Spoon: Everything Hits at Once

The Temptations: (I Know) I’m Losing You

Hüsker Dü: Never Talking to You Again

The Ramones: Glad to See You Go

Grant Lee Phillips: Sadness Soot

R.E.M.: Near Wild Heaven

Billy Bragg: Wish You Were Her

American Music Club: Goodbye to Love

Broken Social Scene feat. Feist: Lover’s Spit

Aimee Mann: One

Lyle Lovett: Nobody Knows Me

Glen Campbell: By the Time I Get to Phoenix

Gregg Allman: These Days

Guy Clark feat. Nanci Griffith: Dublin Blues

Wilco: How to Fight Loneliness

Sheryl Crow: My Favorite Mistake

Johnette Napolitano + Marc Moreland: Hurting Each Other

Elvis Costello: Indoor Fireworks

Frank Sinatra: One for My Baby (and One More for the Road)

Warren Zevon: Accidentally Like a Martyr

Bob Dylan: Don’t Think Twice, It’s All Right

Cat Power feat. Eddie Vedder: Good Woman

Harold Melvin & The Bluenotes: The Love I Lost (Part 1)

Angie Stone: Wish I Didn’t Miss You

Love & Rockets: Haunted When the Minutes Drag

Cracker: I Can’t Forget You

The 5th Dimension: One Less Bell to Answer

Gram Parsons feat. Emmylou Harris: Love Hurts

Sinead O’Connor: Nothing Compares 2 U

Ricky Fanté: Love Doesn't Live Here No More

Shelby Lynne: Your Lies

Tower of Power: So Very Hard to Go

Patsy Cline: I Fall to Pieces

Dire Straits: Romeo and Juliet

Emmylou Harris: Goodbye

Liz Phair: Divorce Song

Willie Nelson: Sad Songs and Waltzes

Nanci Griffith: Late Night Grande Hotel


In case you’re so heartbroken you need every damn song, here’s the zipped heartache for your sobbing soundtrack.

I opened and closed this mix tape with my two favorite heart-wrenchers. “Cry Like a Rainstorm,” in my opinion, is the best Bonnie Raitt ever sounded; her voice evokes that feeling of crying until it hurts. Nanci Griffith’s “Late Night Grande Hotel” rips me apart every time, especially the line ’Cause living alone is all I’ve ever done well; she’s talking to me. And don’t get me started on Warren Zevon’s Never thought I'd ever be so lonely / After such a long, long time.

Pissed off at the bastard who bruised your heart? Sing along with Kelis’ “Caught out There.” Got me through some rough days. “It’s a Motherfucker” is another good one. But you may want to be careful; I was playing it at my desk one day when my CEO stopped by (luckily, he laughed).

Jackson Browne’s “These Days” is one of those songs everyone covers. Nico’s original is cool, but I’ve always preferred Gregg Allman’s version (so does Lucinda Williams). His voice brings the hurt to the song. Speaking of hurt, who can stay dry-eyed when listening to Johnny Cash’s cover?

Which songs bring tears to your eyes and aches to your heart?

* * * * * *

Labels: , , , , , ,

44 Comments:

At 11/30/2007 12:24:00 AM, Blogger Casey said...

Hello again...Three songs come to mind...that causes an indescribable ache inside.
"Empty Chair" Don McClean
"Do You Remember" Phil Collins
"Late For The Sky" Jackson Browne
I'm a sucker for good hurtin' songs...I sometimes listen to them on purpose just to feel that beautiful ache...once again.
Great blog

 
At 11/30/2007 12:29:00 AM, Blogger Barbara Bruederlin said...

hahaha @ MyDataBitch! Niiiice!

That's one fine hurtin list, my friend. I would have to add:

I'm Waking Up to Us - Belle and Sebastian
Fairytale of New York - the Pogues and Kirsty McColl

 
At 11/30/2007 07:29:00 AM, Blogger Dale said...

I hadn't heard Hurt in a while and then it came on the radio the other day and slapped me in the heart.

I always laugh at the Ben Folds song. I recently sent the lovely Jacy a copy of Rilo Kiley's Better Son/Daughter which I enjoy because it's a hurtin' song with a bit of kickback.

I'm anxious to hear the Angie Stone song as she's got a great voice. Excellent list Beth & Jacy.

 
At 11/30/2007 08:11:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

When I saw Bonnie Raitt "Cry Like a Rainstorm" at the top, well say-no-more say-no-more, but that's a great list! love the Dylan and Sinatra, Sinead O'connor-had forgotten about that one.
have to add "Wasted Time" Eagles as it accompanied my first heart break. Maybe "Coast of Marseilles" that one hit home at the time too.
You always make me wanna listen!

 
At 11/30/2007 08:38:00 AM, Blogger filegod said...

From Nancy Reagan's boy toy to Husker Du, that's quite a list.
Sinead O'Connors' nothing compares 2 u gave me a powerful hankering for bald Irish chicks. By the way, I did not kick you under the table last night, that was another member of our party that got out of hand. Love to your mother.

 
At 11/30/2007 08:52:00 AM, Blogger KK said...

I'm fairly ashamed to admit that in 1977, it was Cheap Trick's "In Color" that spun on my turntable as I sobbed my heart out just wishing I would die and get it over with.

But since that was 30 years ago I guess the Cheap Trick therapy worked.

I want you to want me..........

Hope the prayers for mom worked better than the prayers for rain.

 
At 11/30/2007 11:40:00 AM, Blogger Coffeypot said...

How about “Love Hurts” by Nazareth? That gravely voice sounds like he is really hurting.

 
At 11/30/2007 11:55:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Excellent list. As usual.

Listen to Fugazi's Promises sometime if you want an angry break up song.

With the 'Mats, I would have gone with Unsatisfied, the greatest single song of all time. Answering Machine is also a nice one.

 
At 11/30/2007 12:19:00 PM, Blogger Jacy said...

Wow! It's a great list! And only some of them are mine, most of them are yours! I literally get shivers down my spine when I listen to Feist do that Broken Social Scene song, not to mention that heart-shredding It's a Motherfucker by the eels, and that Emmylou Harris song Goodbye. So pretty, so sad.

I might have to request an angry revenge list soon!


p.s. Blog crush reciprocated.

 
At 11/30/2007 12:19:00 PM, Blogger Fearless Leader said...

Gave you a bit of linkage at the end of my own mixtape-ish post from today.

(And "Last Goodbye" ... it is so incredibly sad, but also just perfect for singing at the top of your lungs when you're along in the house (or even in the car) and you're pretty damned sure nobody else can hear you.)

 
At 11/30/2007 01:06:00 PM, Blogger Moxie said...

Music always amps up my feelings to the 10th power, whether it's being in love, being out of love, feeling happy, sad, powerful...

Some of my favorite heartbreak songs:
Madonna - Love Don't Live Here Anymore*
Jamie Cullum - Lover You Should Have Come Over
Julie London - Cry Me a River*
Matchbox 20 - You Won't Be Mine
Aaron Neville - Why Can't I Fall in Love (Pump Up the Volume soundtrack)
Les Miserables - I Dreamed a Dream*
Moulin Rouge soundtrack - Roxanne
Brian Setzer - Since I Don't Have You
Ray Charles - Drown in My Own Tears
Garbage - Cup of Coffee

I could keep on going...

*Songs I've sung at karaoke

 
At 11/30/2007 01:13:00 PM, Blogger paperback reader said...

I totally agree with Barbara's adds - there won't ever be a Christmas song or duet that's better to me than "Fairytale of New York."

I'd add: Billy Bragg - "The Price I Pay," Jets to Brazil - "I Typed For Miles" and "Sea Anemone," and Jawbreaker's "Sluttering (May 4th)." Oh, and the Muffs' "End it All Now."

 
At 11/30/2007 01:22:00 PM, Blogger Doc said...

The only song I could add to this marvelous collection might be Tom T. Hall's "I sleep good, and I miss a lot of trains".

Wonderful, wonderful!

Doc

 
At 11/30/2007 02:15:00 PM, Blogger Gifted Typist said...

I know it's goofy to name a BeeGees tune but: How do you mend a broken heart" is an incredibly honest and true evocation of having your heart shattered. And I know that Jacy has.

 
At 11/30/2007 02:33:00 PM, Blogger Fearless Leader said...

I've given it some thought ... here's a few more I would add.

"I Love You More Than You'll Ever Know" - Donny Hathaway
"Since I've Been Loving You" - Led Zeppelin
"Stranger With Your Hair" - John Gorka

Nobody knows the last one, but seek it out.

Of course, just the other day, I got choked up in the car from hearing a slow rendition of "I'll Fly Away" on Prairie Home Companion.

 
At 11/30/2007 02:57:00 PM, Blogger anandamide said...

What about Air Supply? Weren't all their songs about break ups?

 
At 11/30/2007 05:11:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

last goodbye and lost cause, two faves of mine.

 
At 11/30/2007 06:32:00 PM, Blogger Moderator said...

"Divorce Song" is possibly one of the 10 best songs ever.

As is "Love Will Tear us Apart" but that goes without saying.

 
At 11/30/2007 08:11:00 PM, Blogger DJ Andi said...

As usual you definitely have a great list of songs. I'm racking my brain at this...there are so many break up songs out there.

How did you miss Michael Bolten's "How Am I Supposed To Live Without You?"?

I'm kind of partial to "The Kill" by 30 Seconds to Mars. And the lead singers pretty good looking too. **Excellent song if you've never heard it**


BTW I tried to get the zip file and it was unavailable.

 
At 11/30/2007 08:22:00 PM, Blogger BeckEye said...

Oooh, something featuring Eddie Vedder that I haven't heard. I gotta get me some of that.

My favorite break up song (or the favorite that I can remember right now) is "Seeing Things" by the Black Crowes. It's also my "I've had too many beers and now I'm reflecting on life, swaying and drooling into my mug" song.

My favorite new break up song is Rilo Kiley's "Breakin' Up" because it's like the happiest break up song ever! Oooh, it feels good to be free! Preach it, sister Jenny!

I actually have a break up song mix tape somewhere. It's very old so there's probably a lot of questionable material on it. Actually, it's a "Love" tape: Side A is the "Sweet" side and Side B is the "Sucks" side. I always liked the sucky side better. It's all I know. :)

 
At 11/30/2007 08:26:00 PM, Blogger BeckEye said...

You know what really rips my heart out? None of these files are available anymore. Sadness. :(

As usual, I am convinced that Lars Ulrich is behind this.

 
At 11/30/2007 11:41:00 PM, Blogger Boldly Serving Up Wheat Grass said...

10th grade... some girl dumped me & I listened to Save a Prayer by Duran Duran like 800 times...

 
At 12/01/2007 12:46:00 AM, Blogger Artful Dodger said...

Oh wow. I have a whole stack of mix tapes and CD's for just such occasions. I think I have far too many songs that can fit here. Hmmm...I just might have to email you the list cause it would never fit on this comment box. Or maybe just email you a mix. ^_^

 
At 12/01/2007 04:42:00 AM, Blogger Allison said...

I have a few friends I need to pass this list onto...sadly the zip file did not work for me, but I will attach the individual songs next.

Balloons - Camaromance. Tears, every time.

 
At 12/01/2007 07:13:00 AM, Blogger Mike Lewis said...

:(
file no longer available

 
At 12/01/2007 09:08:00 PM, Blogger lulu said...

Elvis Costello's "Indoor Fireworks" got me through a really rough patch.

no files? so sad.

 
At 12/02/2007 02:09:00 AM, Blogger Writeprocrastinator said...

"So I’m curious: What’s on your playlist when the heart’s been stomped?"

Led Zeppelin's "Fool In The Rain." That song unfortunately, was my theme song throughout high school.

 
At 12/02/2007 10:35:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

um Beth? Why can't we get some of these files? This is bringing a tear to my eye and making my heart ache!

 
At 12/02/2007 08:51:00 PM, Blogger Mountjoy said...

Beth, brilliant as usual!

My bonus tracks for the broken hearted?

Roy Orbison - It's Over
Olivia Newton John - Hopelessly Devoted to You
Annie Lennox - Why?
Linda Ronstadt - Blue Bayou
Bruce Springsteen - Backstreets
Hall & Oates - She's Gone
Queen - Love of My Life
Roxy Music - More Than This

These would go alongside some of the cuts you have already sliced (Sinead O'Connor gets a huge yes, as does Joy Division)

...and someone wanted Air Supply? I'd be tipping my hat to "Love and Other Bruises" title track for a contribution from them.

Of course in no way have I ever made my self a "wallow in self pity" mix tape after having my heart ripped out and torn part by a woman. Never, ever...

 
At 12/03/2007 04:51:00 PM, Blogger Moderator said...

Congratulations on your many Drysdale Award nominations.

 
At 12/04/2007 03:43:00 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Just a few that came to me ...

Roxy Music – “Just another high”
Aimee Mann – “Amature”
Queen – “Who wants to live forever”
Dire Straits – “Hand in Hand”
Elvis Costello – “At the other end of the Telescope”
Robyn Hitchcock – “She doesn’t exist”
Matthew Sweet – “Reaching Out”
The Beatles – “I’m a Loser”
Game Theory – “Throwing the Election”

 
At 12/04/2007 06:57:00 PM, Blogger thirdworstpoetinthegalaxy said...

It ain't just in the non-existent Georgian water, unfortunately.

I'm having problems downloading the zip file, sadly. I'll try again later. In the meantime, you've covered some good ones. I'd definitely keep Beck's "Lost Cause" and Joy Divisions "Love Will Tear Us Apart" on mine. Along with several others.

The Smiths - Please Please Please
Depeche Mode - Somebody
Nick Cave - Sweetest Embrace (if you're GLAD to see 'em go)
Wilco/Billy Bragg - At My Window Sad and Lonely
Sinead O'Connor - Last Day of Our Acquaintance

Those are the first to come to mind.

 
At 12/04/2007 10:54:00 PM, Blogger thirdworstpoetinthegalaxy said...

Can't believe I forgot this one.

Lucero - Fistful of Tears.

 
At 12/05/2007 07:16:00 AM, Blogger DaBich said...

Godsmack. Keep Away.

AHhh...coffeypot, good choice with Love Hurts by Nazareth!

 
At 12/05/2007 03:30:00 PM, Blogger blueblanket said...

Aaack! I can't download it! Heeelp!

 
At 12/05/2007 04:30:00 PM, Blogger Zed said...

I'm not adding any songs since I'm just not good at that in the way these folks are, but did I mention lately how much I hate MyDataBitch? I do. Hate on top of hate on top of hate. I wanted to download so much of the list ...

I think I'll go punch some pillows now.

 
At 12/05/2007 07:20:00 PM, Blogger deenamite1 said...

How about the old standard "My Buddy"? After my grandfather died, it used to break my heart hearing my sweet little Grammies sit and play this on the piano. God rest them both now.

 
At 12/06/2007 11:17:00 AM, Blogger clew said...

Oooooo, I *LOVE* mix tapes!

My favorite heartbreak songs:

"You Aughtta Know" by Alannis Morssette (sp?) and "Troy" by Sinead O'Connor. I am obviously an angry victim.

I also love "My Immortal" by Evanescence. Can't get through that without crying.

Then I listen to "Cold Shot" by Stevie Ray Vaughan and smile again. ;)

 
At 12/09/2007 03:03:00 AM, Blogger T-Bird said...

And Aretha's "The Thrill Is Gone" or "Sit Down And Cry", or "Today I Sing The Blues"...
Thanks for the comment you made on my site on "Four More Demons in '08".

Been spending all my available time writing a massive (may take me a decade??) research multi media book on a second web site which is here:
http://letitbedissected.blogspot.com/

You may enjoy it as it is all about musical and cultural connections, which passionately drive you! Cheers for the coming holidaze ti you Beth!!! Will

 
At 12/09/2007 10:06:00 PM, Blogger mellowlee said...

Hey Beth! Hope everything is ok!

 
At 12/15/2007 09:22:00 AM, Blogger Katie Schwartz said...

I don't know many of these songs. I'm a musictard. When I am in the throws of a break up, I listen to Aretha Franklin's Dr. Feelgoood, Natural Woman, Do Right Woman - Do Right Man, Tracks of my Tears and a whole lotta Joni Mitchell. Blue and Both Sides Now.

PS: MyDataBitch and cupettes? Love that!

 
At 12/18/2007 02:24:00 PM, Blogger losethelard said...

ugh. I missed the download. Is there any possible way you could please upload the zip?

thank you (hopefully.)

any my addition blood-editors

 
At 12/22/2007 03:01:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I finally downloaded all the tracks.
Thanks for a fantastic sobbing soundtrack.

it's a great counterpoint to all the christmas music floating around this year.

 
At 12/22/2007 03:49:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

oh. i don't know what i downloaded but they're not the tracks. if anyone who got this before the links were killed--can you please share?

Thanks!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home


View My Stats